sam gy
July 2, 2020, 7:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from jamesgtfc

At the time we had been spoilt for a few years at a higher level and second tier football was in the recent past. I think if we signed a player like him today, he would probably be viewed differently.

When you look at other players we released in that period, he is one of very few that managed to keep playing league football for a number of years.

Good point.

A lot of Town fans probably still have the same mindset now, but the reality is we're now the opposite and find ourselves in LG2 after being in the division below. When we first went to League 2 we were a big club in the division...now we're not. A lot of players were in nappies the last time we were in the Championship!

Explains why we've struggled to attract decent players since coming up..

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
forza ivano
July 2, 2020, 8:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jamesgtfc

At the time we had been spoilt for a few years at a higher level and second tier football was in the recent past. I think if we signed a player like him today, he would probably be viewed differently.

When you look at other players we released in that period, he is one of very few that managed to keep playing league football for a number of years.

Good point,well made
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
diehardmariner
July 3, 2020, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Abdul19

Gary Montgomery I think. Basically sacked them with about 6 weeks of the season left (leaving us without a contracted senior keeper - good job Henderson wasn't recalled!)

That was it!  I was thinking Montgomery but then I thought surely we didn't outcast both our contracted 'keepers at the same time.

But then this was the era of Newell.  The era where we had a long-term trialist sleeping on the floor at a local hotel by all accounts!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
diehardmariner
July 3, 2020, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Barnes was probably a better goalkeeper than Mildenhall. Mildenhall had the advantage of following Anthony Williams which made him seem better than he actual was.

I liked Barnes.  I thought he was an outstanding shot-stopper, if not great on commanding his area.  But Mildenhall was an exceptional stopper, regardless of who he followed.  Granted I think Barnes had a rough time in following Mildenhall, a bit like how Danny Coyne did at first when following Aidan Davison.  I think Barnes struggled at first too, much like Coyne.

Mildenhall though is probably the best Town goalkeeper (who was ours) that I've seen since Coyne left.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Abdul19
July 3, 2020, 11:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I remember at Gainsborough in the pre-season before 10/11, Barnes* amusingly joined in with a 'If you all hate Newell clap your hands' chant  

* he was in goal for Gainsborough at the time, to clarify.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Mariner_501
July 3, 2020, 1:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
One of the most underrated players in my time following Town. Did a lot better job than people give him credit for. Big part of 05/06 season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
fishboyUTM
July 3, 2020, 10:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Decent pace, good technically but as a full back he was woeful as he literally allowed wingers to get their crosses in at will. Hands behind his back when jockying wingers must have affected his balance.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 5, 2020, 2:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Newey was average at everything. Not a single outstanding area.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 5, 2020, 3:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Newey was average at everything. Not a single outstanding area.

He was left footed.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
RichMariner
July 6, 2020, 9:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
Newey was very hit and miss for me. He had good technical ability and I seem to remember Buckley being quite happy to play him week in, week out. Obviously at fourth division level you're not going to get a world beater.

I remember an FA Cup game at Huddersfield where their right winger, Malvin Kamara, absolutely tore Newey to shreads. Turned him inside out; it was difficult to watch.

A season or two later, Buckley had gone, Newell had come (and gone) and Stuart Watkiss signs Malvin Kamara and I'm thinking 'wow, we've got a player there!'

Kamara, along with Tomi Ameobi, were awful!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tom Newey

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.