6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
June 29, 2020, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Obviously I have no idea what he was like to players and other staff but me and a few others spent a night with him just before this season started and he was very approachable, more than happy to talk to us about specific decisions he made during specific games, and he came across as a very decent guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
jamesgtfc
June 29, 2020, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
I think his tactics suit a team at the bottom end, where survival is celebrated.

I know managers set the tactics but once they cross the white line, surely some responsibility transfers to the players also? The aim of football is to make the opposition ask questions of you so leaving 1 or 2 players up for set pieces makes them worry. You might concede more but I wonder how many more chances you create over a season from it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
grimsby pete
June 29, 2020, 5:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I thought he tried to get 4division players playing like a top European side and they could not take it in what they were supposed to do.

I went to Stevenage and not having seen us play for a while I was really disappointed we were worse than when he first took over.

I think he is more suited as a coach at prem club where the manager tells him what to do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
toontown
June 29, 2020, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Honestly, I think the removal of Slade and his hoofball down the channels to nobody was enough almost on it's own.

I've heard Jolley was arrogant and deeply unpopular on and off the pitch, they players didn't know what he wanted them to do and he commanded no respect from the players at all due to his non footballing background, and his lack of clarity in what he wanted them to do. He was ultra negative, so at least it appears he knew how to set them up to sit on their own 18 yard line and defend for their lives. I stand by what I wrote earlier, he was a fraud. Remember the winless runs, the goalless runs? He had the players man for man marking WITH the ball! That's why we couldn't score goals and had no options.

Anyway, he's gone now and we have a proper manager in charge. Let's just hope we have some football to look forward to soon as Ian Holloway will do great things at this club.

Well removing slade in itself made no difference we were still terrible when he first went, before jolley arrived. Have to say that jolley did make a dramatic difference when he first came. Dropped Berrett pretty soon which meant we were no longer playing with 10 effectively like we had been with Berrett in the side. Got cardwell working well defensively up front (couldn't make him a striker tho). Spotted Mitch rose ability at throw ins and penalties within a few weeks which slade hadn't done all season. Removing slade was most certainly not enough in itself. I agree with others that side was truly abysmal but he made them hard to beat.

Agree that it went downhill fast when it was his own side, very negative (man marking when WE have the ball ffs), overpaid badly on wages for the likes of green and ogbu, and massivly over emphasised the opposition  and based everything around them. No wonder we never got going. Also many sttong rumours he was v unpopular. Most importantly could not hack the pressure of expectation when it was his own team hence the bomb that exploded and he was sacked  after that rant.

Hunting around on social media after defeats to block people who made  negative comments - bizarre behaviour for a manager and I doubt if the pressure cooker of efl management is really in his best interests to be honest.

Maybe conference North or south might be better for him with less pressure. So overall started well and had promise, we owe him for keeping us up, after that mediocre to poor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
jamesgtfc
June 29, 2020, 11:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Absolutely criminal that it took 41 games for Mitch Rose to take a throw in. It wasn't a hidden talent either as he used to take them at some of his previous clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
Poojah
June 30, 2020, 12:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Absolutely criminal that it took 41 games for Mitch Rose to take a throw in. It wasn't a hidden talent either as he used to take them at some of his previous clubs.

Mitch Rose will never be remembered as one of the Town greats, but fast forward the following video to 1:20, watch the next 25 seconds and tell me he didn’t play a huge role in our history.

[youtube]WIB_QE9fewg[/youtube]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
dapperz fun pub
June 30, 2020, 7:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Nice bloke I’m told by people within the club but for all of his qualifications he didn’t offer anything different to all the journeymen managers weve employed over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
diehardmariner
June 30, 2020, 12:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Poojah

Mitch Rose will never be remembered as one of the Town greats, but fast forward the following video to 1:20, watch the next 25 seconds and tell me he didn’t play a huge role in our history.

[youtube]WIB_QE9fewg[/youtube]

Since he left I've often felt we lack someone like him in the middle, a bit of an 'orrible illegitimate.  Technically very average, but every team needs someone who will do the dirty work.  Whatever you say about Rose as a player, he had balls of steel too.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
Abdul19
June 30, 2020, 12:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The previous manager was a bald Rinus Michels, he was hardly likely to go for such a route one approach.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Nutsy
June 30, 2020, 1:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from forza ivano
I think the best job for him might be somewhere like boston, stockport or york ,a biggish club with potential who are in a bit of trouble

Boston were flying; they deserve the play offs. Great run club with a great stadium - why jeopardise that with such an appointment.

Maybe a drop to a bottom clinger in national league premier who have no real alternaive ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.