6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
June 29, 2020, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,067
Gold Stars: 518
Luck or not, dodgy penalties or not....he kept us up.  

As pointed out above, it was with one of the worst Town teams I've ever seen as well.  We ended the season with a front three of the much maligned Cardwell down the middle, the even more maligned JJ Hooper on the left and a ridiculously out of position Harry Clifton down the right.

In that spell he managed to shore up our leaky defence with Nathan Clarke looking like a rock in comparison to the previous 7 months he was here.  He got the best out of his players in that spell, none more so than Mitch Rose.

Yeah it all went sour afterwards and we were absolutely turgid to watch for periods.  9 months ago his style of football made me not want to go to games anymore.  But when he got us playing, we were decent to watch.  After the Palace game I really felt he was building something a bit special here but, as he often did, he seemed intent on putting the leash back on when we looked ready to go.

Heard a lot that he was arrogant and a bit of helmet to staff at the club which, in any walk of life, is a very poor trait.  But ultimately he still stopped us falling back into the Conference. We've got a manager giving us the style of football now that we've craved for a long time, but without Jolley keeping us up that might not have happened at all.

For the record I think I've got about as much chance of getting the Bolton job as him, unless he's basically offering to do it for free.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
Abdul19
June 29, 2020, 12:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Was never a fan, some saw him as a messiah of sorts for keeping us up, but in truth we were very very lucky, few very dodgy pens that saved us.

The one at Swindon was one of the dodgiest I've ever seen, but the ones v Chesterfield and Barnet were spot on (pun unintentional).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
horsforthmariner
June 29, 2020, 1:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
He did really well to keep us up in the first season. That side was worse than the side that went down. We were awful.But he got us organised and we were effective. After that he brought in a few decent players, after a bad start we did ok the following season, but not great (Kind of a C+ season). But it was clear we had more investment before the start of this season and we should have done better.

He's bright, he clearly alienated too many people and needs to tone it down but I suspect he will do well at his next job.
And let's face it he's been better than anyone we've had since Buckley apart from Hurst, Slade mk1 and his successor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
forza ivano
June 29, 2020, 1:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
I think the best job for him might be somewhere like boston, stockport or york ,a biggish club with potential who are in a bit of trouble
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
fishboyUTM
June 29, 2020, 1:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
He was appointed after 4 points from possible 45
in the last 10 games after his appointment, we got 15 from a possible 30.
This run kept us up, with one of the worst teams we've ever had.

It didn't go great after, but he did a great job in them last 10 games

Honestly, I think the removal of Slade and his hoofball down the channels to nobody was enough almost on it's own.

I've heard Jolley was arrogant and deeply unpopular on and off the pitch, they players didn't know what he wanted them to do and he commanded no respect from the players at all due to his non footballing background, and his lack of clarity in what he wanted them to do. He was ultra negative, so at least it appears he knew how to set them up to sit on their own 18 yard line and defend for their lives. I stand by what I wrote earlier, he was a fraud. Remember the winless runs, the goalless runs? He had the players man for man marking WITH the ball! That's why we couldn't score goals and had no options.

Anyway, he's gone now and we have a proper manager in charge. Let's just hope we have some football to look forward to soon as Ian Holloway will do great things at this club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
mimma
June 29, 2020, 1:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
He was ultra defensive. At some point you have to score to win. Even when we were a goal down at home in the last few minutes he refused to leave at least one up when defending a corner. Criminal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
Les Brechin
June 29, 2020, 1:24pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Let’s face it. At the time of his appointment who else would have taken us on? He appeared, rightly or wrongly as a very credible appointment.
As it turned out, I guess it didn’t work out for either party and we both went our separate ways.
We now have Ollie and I’m very pleased about that. And, ignoring Covid, things look good.
As for Jolley, I bear him no ill. I wish him all the best, wherever he goes.

IIRC it was mooted by many posters on here that MJ would be a good appointment for the club, a fair while before he was officially linked with us.

A bit like the Mike Newell appointment really, that most fans were happy at the time but it later turned a bit sour.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
fishboyUTM
June 29, 2020, 3:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
He was ultra defensive. At some point you have to score to win. Even when we were a goal down at home in the last few minutes he refused to leave at least one up when defending a corner. Criminal.

I don't care what these FA coaching badge managers say. If you have one man up front from a corner, they must have at least two men back. Also, if you win the ball, you have a target to hit and play off to start your own attack. No man up front and any clearance is going to come straight back at you. Anyone can see that surely. Slade argued he had the stats to back up not leaving a man up front. I'd say in the 'first phase' i'e, the immediate corner he may well be correct, but what about when the ball comes straight back at you? Anyway, I digress but Slade and Jolley were both clowns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
Jarmo.Is.God
June 29, 2020, 3:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Honestly, I think the removal of Slade and his hoofball down the channels to nobody was enough almost on it's own.

I've heard Jolley was arrogant and deeply unpopular on and off the pitch, they players didn't know what he wanted them to do and he commanded no respect from the players at all due to his non footballing background, and his lack of clarity in what he wanted them to do. He was ultra negative, so at least it appears he knew how to set them up to sit on their own 18 yard line and defend for their lives. I stand by what I wrote earlier, he was a fraud. Remember the winless runs, the goalless runs? He had the players man for man marking WITH the ball! That's why we couldn't score goals and had no options.

Anyway, he's gone now and we have a proper manager in charge. Let's just hope we have some football to look forward to soon as Ian Holloway will do great things at this club.

Never said he was a good guy, simply stated he did a very good job for the rest of the season when he was promoted.
Something that is being brushed a side because of the sour ending maybe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
fishboyUTM
June 29, 2020, 4:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Never said he was a good guy, simply stated he did a very good job for the rest of the season when he was promoted.
Something that is being brushed a side because of the sour ending maybe

Like I say, I'm not even sure he did that. All that we needed to improve what wasn't a terrible squad was to remove Slade. Anyway, water under the bridge now. We have Ian Holloway who is a proper football manager with something about him and a proven track record. Can't wait for next season, whenever it may be as we'll be flying!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.