June 23, 2020, 12:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +266
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Burnley banner idiots

Why have you chosen this as your twit of the week post ?

I would love to hear the rational behind your post ?

If its ok to wander around London with Black Lives Matter banners, why is a banner towed behind an aircraft stating White Lives Matter any different ? Is one racist and the other not ?

I am not posting this to be confrontational, I just don't see the difference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 12:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Why have you chosen this as your twit of the week post ?

I would love to hear the rational behind your post ?

If its ok to wander around London with Black Lives Matter banners, why is a banner towed behind an aircraft stating White Lives Matter any different ? Is one racist and the other not ?

I am not posting this to be confrontational, I just don't see the difference.

There seems to be a massive group think going on at the moment, fuelled by a subservient media that cannot see the majority view. Even historically right wing papers like the Telegraph and the Mail have succumbed to the narrative that anything on or from the left is fine; anything slightly to the right is branded racist, evil and despicable.  Needless to say that is not the majority view.

As regards the banner, what on earth is wrong with the statement that white lives matter? All lives matter but in part it would have been in response to the savage and horrific murder in cold blood and in broad daylight of three innocent people. The media seem more exercised about a banner than 3 savage murders.

The Premier league have brought this on themselves by allowing a political movement to use players as a pawn in their game with kneeling and the name of the political movement on shirts. The fact they did not realise it would provoke a reaction from fans who think all lives matter and do not condone the more unsavoury aspects of BLM remains a mystery .

The Premier league, its administrators and players are my twists of the week for dragging the game through the political mud.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 23, 2020, 1:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The banner was a reaction and it is always the reaction that gets the punishment. I think the banner was a pretty clueless thing to do but reasonably predictable as we see it was done by a supporter of Robinson.

But - and it is a big but - the knee benders are making a point on behalf of BLM and BLM is no longer about some bloke in the US, it is about supporting a radical political movement. That movement is a very shadowy one indeed as are itā€™s finances, the Leeds demo this week for instance had Extinction Rebellion support. The aims of BLM extend way beyond a solidarity or a protest but the media and the police seem unwilling or even frightened to look further into it.  

The tee shirts wearers and knees benders are being incredibly naive If they think this is merely a protest asking or demanding equality. Look at Rashfordā€™s photo from the Spurs game - knee bend and raised clench fist. When did we last see that gesture and what did it mean?

ā€œIf all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.ā€
ā€• John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 7:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
I tend to agree that the message Black Lives Matter is a little ambiguous

Maybe they should have just gone with STOP BEING RACIST CNUTS

I went to the rally in Leeds and my main takeaway was that being silent and turning a blind eye to racism is not acceptable and I will call it out whenever and wherever I see it

I donā€™t give a excrement about the arguments about the motivations of the organisers - racism is racism and Iā€™m reading it in this thread and Iā€™m calling it out

The Burnley banner was racist in its intent and its argument just doesnā€™t wash - whites are not subject to institutionalised racism In this country but blacks are - and hopefully this movement is the beginning of the end of that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
pen penfras
June 23, 2020, 8:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from AussieMariner

I went to the rally in Leeds and my main takeaway was that being silent and turning a blind eye to racism is not acceptable and I will call it out whenever and wherever I see it

I donā€™t give a excrement about the arguments about the motivations of the organisers - racism is racism and Iā€™m reading it in this thread and Iā€™m calling it out

The Burnley banner was racist in its intent and its argument just doesnā€™t wash - whites are not subject to institutionalised racism In this country but blacks are - and hopefully this movement is the beginning of the end of that

The statement in itself is absolutely no more racist than black lives matter. The intention of the people who did it is most likely racist, but did come just after 3 white people were murdered from a racist attack. You can call it terrorism, but it's Muslim people deliberately killing white people in this country multiple times.

Black people have not been targeted for murder in this country by another sect in a long time.

I take exception to institutionalalised racism comments. I don't believe that to be true in the UK. There are groups of racist idiots from all races, but everybody has an equal opportunity here. It's just difficult for people to break out of the life they're born into, regardless of race. Black people used to be discriminated against, but they have the opportunity to work their way up the ladder nowadays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 8:32pm
Whiskey Drinker

. I call racism when 3 innocent white men are knifed to death in an English town in broad daylight.

The UK is one of the most diverse countries in the world, not that it has done us any good.

The Burnley banner was an understandable reaction to the vile murder of 3 white people just minding their own business .

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
Sir Matt Tease
June 23, 2020, 8:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +266

So your calling it out ? Where do you see racism in this thread ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 8:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

The statement in itself is absolutely no more racist than black lives matter. The intention of the people who did it is most likely racist, but did come just after 3 white people were murdered from a racist attack. You can call it terrorism, but it's Muslim people deliberately killing white people in this country multiple times.

If itā€™s racist itā€™s racist and it needs to be condemned. By all means protest against murder, but why do it just after the players have just made their protest if you are not trying to undermine that protest. They are separate issues and one does not negate the other.

Black people have not been targeted for murder in this country by another sect in a long time.

Thank goodness for that. However their lives have been affected and are still being affected by racism. The fact we donā€™t kill them anymore is hardly an argument to say there is no racism.

I take exception to institutionalalised racism comments. I don't believe that to be true in the UK. There are groups of racist idiots from all races,

That doesnā€™t make our racists ok

but everybody has an equal opportunity here. It's just difficult for people to break out of the life they're born into, regardless of race. Black people used to be discriminated against, but they have the opportunity to work their way up the ladder nowadays.

Yes, but even when they do ā€˜work their way upā€™ they are still subject to racism. Why do black footballers get stopped in their expensive cars and asked how they afford them when white footballers donā€™t? Why are there so few blacks in football management when there are so many black players? There are plenty of other examples and I have seen them myself and turned a blind eye which I now know made me part of the problem. I donā€™t know the extent of racism in this country But I know it exists, and when I see it I will call it out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 9:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

So your calling it out ? Where do you see racism in this thread ?

Really?

I see it in this comment:

If I have to spell it out the timing and location of the Burnley banner was clearly an attack on the protest the players were making. Using White Lives Matter as an attempt to negate the Black Lives Matter Message is denying that there is a problem and that denial is the problem. Itā€™s inherently racist, and comments on here excusing the Burnley banner perpetuate that racism.

Of course the murders in Reading are horrendous and also racist and they should be protested against. But to do it in that manner and in that place is inflammatory and exactly the type of thinking that perpetuates the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 9:29pm
Whiskey Drinker

Yes, but even when they do ā€˜work their way upā€™ they are still subject to racism. Why do black footballers get stopped in their expensive cars and asked how they afford them when white footballers donā€™t? Why are there so few blacks in football management when there are so many black players? There are plenty of other examples and I have seen them myself and turned a blind eye which I now know made me part of the problem. I donā€™t know the extent of racism in this country But I know it exists, and when I see it I will call it out.

It was in the US where a black man was killed by police. The US has very different racial undertones to the UK.

We are not a racist country. We bend over backwards to welcome allcomers and have some of the most stringent anti racism laws in the world.

If you want to beat yourself up about being "part of the problem " then go ahead but despite being a tiny percentage of the UK population black and ethnic people have good representation in all our major institutions including the police, business and politics and there is no bar in this country for them to achieve whatever they wish.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Twit of the Week šŸŽ–

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.