2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
June 20, 2020, 2:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
If a cap in league two is implemented at 1.5 million with a max of twenty senior as seems to be branded about that means a average pay of 75000 per player which seems a quite generous wage.
What will happen to the players from the relegated teams with contracted players busting this ceiling ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
June 20, 2020, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from crusty ole pie

What will happen to the players from the relegated teams with contracted players busting this ceiling ?

Probably given 1 or 2 seasons to get their wage cap down, which would possibly give them more of a chance to retain a few players who won't have to take a pay cut and give them more of a chance to get back up

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
GollyGTFC
June 20, 2020, 4:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from crusty ole pie
If a cap in league two is implemented at 1.5 million with a max of twenty senior as seems to be branded about that means a average pay of 75000 per player which seems a quite generous wage.

The figure I saw for League 2 is £1.25 million.

The current EFL FFP rules excludes any contract signed before 1st September during the season they were relegated. So if Hull City are relegated this season any contract signed before 1st September 2019 will be exempt from the current League 1 FFP rules next season.

There are various other exemptions too such as one on players under the age of 21 who have been part developed in the club's academy. For example in 2019/20 Grimsby didn't need to include wages of Battersby, Pollock, Curran, Buckley & Rose in our FFP calculation.

For the record I strongly disagree with a set figure for a salary cap. I think clubs should be free to spend whatever money they can legitimately generate and invest in players.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 11
crusty ole pie
June 20, 2020, 7:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Cheers golly
A salary cap may for once be to our advantage £75000 Goes a lot further in Lincolnshire than it does down south. Yes I agree if you want the cream to rise to the top than teams should be allowed to spend in line to what they can bring in.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Limerick Mariner
June 20, 2020, 8:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,553
Gold Stars: 131
Need to strongly incentivise use of home grown players - make them exempt from the salary cap from academy up to age 23.

Policing the salary cap needs to be really rigorous. All sort of shenanigans went on in the rugby union premiership - South African internationals on ridiculously low salaries at Saracens.  Everyone knew Saracens were cheating but nothing was done about it for years. They been made an example of now but they weren't the only club up to no good. I think the main mechanism was "co-investments" - buying property in joint names but the real beneficiary was the player probably via their pension.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
The Yard Dog
June 20, 2020, 8:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Vince millions not going to help Forest Green now, the only pulling power Forest Green will have is, "Do you want to play football in a nice new wooden stadium on a hill in the middle of nowhere".

or

Salford, guess the Famous Five will have to find a way around the rules.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
GollyGTFC
June 20, 2020, 8:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Vince millions not going to help Forest Green now, the only pulling power Forest Green will have is, "Do you want to play football in a nice new wooden stadium on a hill in the middle of nowhere".

or

Salford, guess the Famous Five will have to find a way around the rules.

Incorrect. Their new wooden ground won't be on a hill. It's going to be on low ground ideally situated next to the M5.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 11
aldi_01
June 21, 2020, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As much I’ve been a believer that football economics is a flipping nightmare and the way clubs are allowed to over spend, shift money and the likes I don’t think a salary cap is the answer.

It can be easily circumvented and let’s face it; the FA and EFL are urine weak when it comes to policing FFP and implementing restrictions and sanctions on clubs.

If FFP was tightened and implemented correctly and effectively with rigorous scrutiny then there’s no need for a salary cap, clubs can pay what they choose providing they have the funds to do so. That rigour would help to ensure that.

I do like the idea of incentives for home grown players but again, perhaps, like in the PL there should be rules and regulations etc on what must be spent, what the facilities look like and so on for youth systems. Also, I’d be more tempted to say that clubs can’t pay ludicrous sums to young lads...there has to be a mechanism to stop that...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
promotion plaice
July 10, 2020, 8:54am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Surprise surprise, clubs in League Two are allegedly divided over a proposed new salary cap.

Philip Day is one of those in favour but others including Scunny chairman Peter Swann are firmly against.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/league-two-salary-cap-grimsby-4312065

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
golfer
July 10, 2020, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
The wage cap ought to be applied to the Premier - £200K  a WEEK -absolutely disgusting - and most of it ending up out of the country. A Prime Minister doesn't even get that in a year - whichever party he belongs to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salary cap

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.