4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Boris Johnson
June 17, 2020, 1:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Don't see us back in the ground much before early part of 2021.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Poojah
June 17, 2020, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,412
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from horsforthmariner

And cases on the up in Texas, Florida, Arizona. Beijng is locking down and the disease is running rampant in South America.
It's a bit of cherry picking Im sad to say.

I’m going to have to throw that back at you there, Horsie. I haven’t cherry picked at all; I’ve given you an example that reflects the pattern seen throughout the vast majority of Europe and many parts of the world.

Why Italy? Purely because it was used extensively to highlight what was in store for the UK in the run up to this. If I had wanted to cherry pick I could have given you Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Norway - the list goes on.

As it happens, what you’ve done there is ‘cherry pick’ examples which are for the most part not reflective or relevant to the UK.

First off, South America - a couple of months behind Europe in terms of the pandemic and still largely on the uptick. Of course, you have basket cases like Brazil which failed to implement any kind of lockdown and was never equipped to anyway, with its huge and densely populated favelas.

The US? Why not quote me New York, which has taken its medicine, properly implemented lockdown and is now seeing cases well below 5% of peak? Texas, Florida and the like didn’t have it too bad initially, and implemented lockdown in name only - it never really happened. On the whole, the US’ management of the situation has made Downing Street look vaguely competent.

As for China, a few hundred cases, localised to one city, in a country of 1.5 billion. What they are now doing is what we may need to do - implement strict, temporary lockdowns on a local basis to keep a lid on things. I’ve never said that further action won’t be needed, merely that the situation will become manageable.

It will be alright.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
horsforthmariner
June 17, 2020, 9:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,580
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

I’m going to have to throw that back at you there, Horsie. I haven’t cherry picked at all; I’ve given you an example that reflects the pattern seen throughout the vast majority of Europe and many parts of the world.

Why Italy? Purely because it was the used extensively to highlight what was in store for the UK in the run up to this. If I had wanted to cherry pick I could have given you Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Norway - the list goes on.

As it happens, what you’ve done there is ‘cherry pick’ examples which are for the most part not reflective or relevant to the UK.

First off, South America - a couple of months behind Europe in terms of the pandemic and still largely on the uptick. Of course, you have basket cases like Brazil which failed to implement any kind of lockdown and was never equipped to anyway, with its huge and densely populated favelas.

The US? Why not quote me New York, which has taken its medicine, properly implemented lockdown and is now seeing cases well below 5% of peak? Texas, Florida and the like didn’t have it too bad initially, and implemented lockdown in name only - it never really happened. On the whole, the US’ management of the situation has made Downing Street look vaguely competent.

As for China, a few hundred cases, localised to one city, in a country of 1.5 billion. What they are now doing is what we may need to do - implement strict, temporary lockdowns on a local basis to keep a lid on things. I’ve never said that further action won’t be needed, merely that the situation will become manageable.

It will be alright.

I'm not really having a go - my point is that were still (and the world is in a bad bind) with this. Yes my examples were cherry picked but I think the overall picture is mixed and nuanced and sadly I don't think we'll be back to normal for a while yet (and that is what Chris Whitty says as well).

If you look at pandemics historically there tends to be phases with higher and lower incidence. Often the summer months give us a respite and before the virus returns in the autumn. The 1918 Flu epidemic is the classic examples of that, but it also the case with 1889-1890 Russian Flu (which probably wasn't a flu, but a novel coronavirus) and the 1957/68. I don't think necessarily the "second wave" will be paricularly bad but I think this threat will prevent us from attending mass gatherings for quite a while yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
NorthLondonMariner
June 18, 2020, 11:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I got an email last week telling me that a gig I I should've been at in May has been rescheduled to this September. Seems very optimistic to me, especially for an indoor show. For football I can see some sort of work around incorporating lower capacities and social distancing being devised in the next few months to get crowds in before the end of the year.

I work in the music industry nationaly running festivals and gigs between 800 and 20,000 cap. Absolutely no chance your gig will go ahead in sept, it will get rescheduled again. Unless social distancing is totally scrapped, or the gigs in a very tiny venue operating at a reduced cap, 2020 is a write off for gigs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
July 2, 2020, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,644
Gold Stars: 233
Ian Holloway is quoted in today's paper that 2 dates have been suggested by the EFL for a restart - end of August or mid September.

Not sure yet about fans attending or social distancing if they do but he hinted that there will be financial help if we have to start behind closed doors.

Sounds promising.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
forza ivano
July 2, 2020, 8:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Been watching live footie from Poland and Denmark where crowds are slowly but surely being allowed back.vould be a template for lower league footie
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Start of next season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.