moosey_club
June 14, 2020, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Who fancies a social distance walk along the prom singing “Fish”.....then a Steels takeaway ......
Would be great fun and any day trippers would be welcome......unless they support Stevenage.....lol !
Perhaps Mr & Mrs Ollie would come ?
We need to do something........
UTMM

Think a small group tried something along those lines yesterday afternoon....didnt go down too well  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
grimsby pete
June 14, 2020, 10:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
We could start late September forget the Micky. Mouse cup and use those dates to play league games.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
MuddyWaters
June 14, 2020, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Expecting to be at BP in October. Maybe they’ll start with League Cup games in front of minimalist crowds before league games start in front of home fans only. If you’re going to wait till a mass vaccine is in place, you probably won’t be seeing League 1 or 2 ever again.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
June 14, 2020, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from horsforthmariner

I think it's really unlikely that things will get back to normal pretty quickly. I suspect cases will bubble away for a few months and then when it gets colder it'll pick up again.Im doubtful it'll get back to the stage we were in March/April but I reckon the scentists will be reluctant to give the go-ahead to certain things for a long time. Gyms, gigs, most mass gatherings.

We might be able to get 1500-2k into blundell park but little extra. There is probably a model where there is an Ifollow season ticket as well. That might be viable. If thats the case they should just crack on in early August.

Pubs and shops are opening soon and sport will not be far behind.Science might want us lock downed for months or years but it is not politically or economically viable.

The cases may linger but you cannot sustain a false way of living if the chances of catching it are more remote.

The virus is on the decline, life is slowly getting back to normal and sport with fans will be part of that process.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Son of Cod
June 15, 2020, 10:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah
New Zealand have eradicated the virus, and resumed sport in front of full stadiums yesterday.

They only had about 20 deaths though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
horsforthmariner
June 15, 2020, 11:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9

Pubs and shops are opening soon and sport will not be far behind.Science might want us lock downed for months or years but it is not politically or economically viable.

The cases may linger but you cannot sustain a false way of living if the chances of catching it are more remote.

The virus is on the decline, life is slowly getting back to normal and sport with fans will be part of that process.

The virus is in decline in Europe because it's the summer and because of the success of containment measures such as social distancing. Most pandemics have second waves and Coronaviruses in general struggle to transmit during the summer (This has to with the fact that UV light is really good at killing viruses and airborne particles travel less in warm and humid environments) This explains why it is ripping through South America now. I'm sure in the autumn there will be an uptick in cases, but how big that uptick will be will depend on how we manage the disease. There are certain things we can do that are of limited risk - socially distanced shopping for example. But there are certain things that are clearly much more risky. The Atalanta vs Valencia match in February has been described as a biological bomb. Football matches are seen as particularly risky. people sitting in close confines, much chanting and singing (choirs are also viewed as particularly dangerous - as more virus can be expelled and expelled further through singing) If you think about it you are probably sat within 2 meters of  24 other people for 90 minutes. One person could infect a significant number of people. That's why it won't get back to normal for a long time. It's not just football matches, it's gigs and gyms. I have to say I won't be going to any pubs for a very long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
June 15, 2020, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker

The virus is in decline in Europe because it's the summer and because of the success of containment measures such as social distancing. Most pandemics have second waves and Coronaviruses in general struggle to transmit during the summer (This has to with the fact that UV light is really good at killing viruses and airborne particles travel less in warm and humid environments) This explains why it is ripping through South America now. I'm sure in the autumn there will be an uptick in cases, but how big that uptick will be will depend on how we manage the disease. There are certain things we can do that are of limited risk - socially distanced shopping for example. But there are certain things that are clearly much more risky. The Atalanta vs Valencia match in February has been described as a biological bomb. Football matches are seen as particularly risky. people sitting in close confines, much chanting and singing (choirs are also viewed as particularly dangerous - as more virus can be expelled and expelled further through singing) If you think about it you are probably sat within 2 meters of  24 other people for 90 minutes. One person could infect a significant number of people. That's why it won't get back to normal for a long time. It's not just football matches, it's gigs and gyms. I have to say I won't be going to any pubs for a very long time.

Fair points but I am talking about 3 months time, assuming the virus continues to decline and cases are very low.

If there is a second spike we will have to deal with separately but I cant see how pubs can open but football stadia cannot.

No doubt at first some protective measures would have to be in place (masks) but we can't live in fear forever.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
marinerjase
June 15, 2020, 11:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,637
Gold Stars: 147
As much scaremongering on here than there is from Sky News...

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
horsforthmariner
June 15, 2020, 12:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9

Fair points but I am talking about 3 months time, assuming the virus continues to decline and cases are very low.

If there is a second spike we will have to deal with separately but I cant see how pubs can open but football stadia cannot.

No doubt at first some protective measures would have to be in place (masks) but we can't live in fear forever.

In the long term:

Hopefully some or all of the following measures will be in place in 12-18 months time:

1. A vaccine.
2. We develop a combination of drugs that combat the disease and lower mortality.
3. We have a 15 minute home testing kit that we could all do before every event.
4. The predominant virus mutates in such a way as to make it significantly less lethal.

I'd lay pretty strong odds that one of these 4 things comes off by time of the start of the 2021-22 season. So the question is how do we get to that point:

As I said earlier their are ways you can mitigate risk. So you can limit attendance, Have a system where people leave in a row by row fashion, close the bars and foot outlets, wear masks, have temperature checks on the way in.

The government can help by changing some regulations:
1. The Saturday TV laws
2. Standing laws - We could put temporary standing bits in the corners of the ground that might be easier to socially distance.
3. Pay for policing on matchdays.

On your point about pubs - I think this is not a scientific decision but one made on the basis of political expediency. I find it bizarre that the Government has a plan for getting pubs re-opened but not schools!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
June 15, 2020, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker

In the long term:

Hopefully some or all of the following measures will be in place in 12-18 months time:

1. A vaccine.
2. We develop a combination of drugs that combat the disease and lower mortality.
3. We have a 15 minute home testing kit that we could all do before every event.
4. The predominant virus mutates in such a way as to make it significantly less lethal.

I'd lay pretty strong odds that one of these 4 things comes off by time of the start of the 2021-22 season. So the question is how do we get to that point:

As I said earlier their are ways you can mitigate risk. So you can limit attendance, Have a system where people leave in a row by row fashion, close the bars and foot outlets, wear masks, have temperature checks on the way in.

The government can help by changing some regulations:
1. The Saturday TV laws
2. Standing laws - We could put temporary standing bits in the corners of the ground that might be easier to socially distance.
3. Pay for policing on matchdays.

On your point about pubs - I think this is not a scientific decision but one made on the basis of political expediency. I find it bizarre that the Government has a plan for getting pubs re-opened but not schools!.

Assuming the virus continues to decline and ways of limiting its spread continue to be followed and after a further 3 months of progress why would football be singled out?

Football is a business and unless we get back to normal quickly clubs will go bust.

If you feel apprehensive and a lot of people will then don't go.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Start of next season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.