Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Anti-racism protests

This thread currently has 22,130 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 10, 2020, 10:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from Rick12
But your missing my point entirely. Iam referring to the rioting in the USA which that ex black  policeman in the USA was alluding to which by all accounts was quite widespread which filtered over here to a lesser extent.He states quite passionately that with hard work black people can be a success .I think thats the same here in the UK as well.Granted there maybe more obstacles with some employers(I feel a minority) showing racial bias and other areas  but hard work and dedication will allow you to achieve in the job market if your tenacious and want it bad enough.Its the same for other ethnic groups as well.Hence when most  people see effort/goodness of character/effort I feel that transcends a lot of innate problems.

I am a white British male, work in financial services in NW England and see racism, whether intentional or not, in my company and profession every single day. If I was from a BAME background, in my profession, I would have had to work a lot harder to be in my current position (and be very, very thick-skinned).

I also see sexism every day. This is perpetrated by colleagues and clients of all backgrounds. From the white lecherous 65 year old clients where you wouldn’t send a woman to see them, through to Jewish and Muslim clients who refuse to even share a room with female colleagues. Different races and religions in the UK have a long way to go in this regard and should consider their attitudes to women, LGBT+ and gender issues whilst discussing the current situation.

We are not America. Racism is not at that level or even comparable to some European neighbours such as Italy and Spain. Most of our overt racism has gone but there is still an undercurrent, which is slowly being diluted but at glacial speeds. Many threads on this forum contain views that were borderline tolerable 30 years ago when fans were still boomeranging bananas at Barnes and Bright but are ridiculously out of touch in the modern world.

I don’t see what the right wing members of UK society want. You can never go back to the 1930s. There are over 10m non-white people in the UK. How do you want to remove them? Genocide? Deportation? Hoping they leave because of the way they are treated?The only way forward as a country is to integrate and work together to try to create a balanced society. The sooner people realise that, the better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 290
Rick12
June 10, 2020, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

I am a white British male, work in financial services in NW England and see racism, whether intentional or not, in my company and profession every single day. If I was from a BAME background, in my profession, I would have had to work a lot harder to be in my current position (and be very, very thick-skinned).

I don’t see what the right wing members of UK society want. You can never go back to the 1930s. There are over 10m non-white people in the UK. How do you want to remove them? Genocide? Deportation? Hoping they leave because of the way they are treated?The only way forward as a country is to integrate and work together to try to create a balanced society. The sooner people realise that, the better.

I agree with a lot of the above. Theres still a way to go with addressing deep innate racial prejudices but I still feel goodness of character will win over most in the long run if there sustained to it long enough.

I think the problem stems in our human past.History has been one of bully tactics and greed where one county invades another country  for the sake of aggrandisement etc.This is not limited to one country as you know but was caused by many around the world.Its only when we start mending the unjustness of that which  still affects us to this day that humanity can truly progress.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 290
monkeyboy
June 11, 2020, 6:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
So ripping down statues is the answer? Is it tosh. These statues for good or bad are a part of our history.
They should be used to educate people on who they are and what they did rather than erase the history all together. It still happens and there is no changing that.
If we go down this riot then half the old universities and historic building should be pulled down as a lot of slave money funded them.
The coliseum in Rome should be flattened as slaves where forced to die there for entertainment.
The left wing with their aggressive behaviour is looking more like nazis than the right.
I swear to god these protests and riots have put attitudes back 40 years and is now generating new level of racism not seen for years. Racism from all colours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 290
monkeyboy
June 11, 2020, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from LH

So I see that the papers have branded the people watching over the statues as violent racist football thugs yet there hasn’t been any trouble or arrests from them yet the protesters who have beaten people and looted shops and injured police people and animals are seen as peaceful protesters? Load of excrement

If I was black I’d probably consider the fact that I’m more likely to die if I contract Covid than other races and definitely not go out in a crowd during the pandemic!

I’d also like to say how sad it is that I’ve seen many people associated with our club wanting to go out on Saturday in Cleethorpes to ‘protect the war memorials’/counter protest our own BLM protest.  (Before the little angry bald men jump on this comment - the war memorials should be left well alone but the ‘football lads’ are going to these protests under the guise of defending them)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 290
Stadium
June 11, 2020, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
That's a shame,Nigel Farage has been booted from LBC for comments below:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-11/nigel-farage-parts-company-with-broadcaster-lbc/

Probably the publication of a letter from his past didn't help his cause.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 290
GYinScuntland
June 12, 2020, 12:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I find it incredible that no one has mentioned the fact that blacks were raiding our shores and dragging whites off to slavery first.
Doesn't suit their agenda though I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 290
Rick12
June 12, 2020, 2:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I find it incredible that no one has mentioned the fact that blacks were raiding our shores and dragging whites off to slavery first.
Not just with the black slave trade either.Incredible when I read that the Arab slave trade was still going strong up to the late 19th century and in some parts of the world into the 20th century and even into the 21st century.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 290
GYinScuntland
June 12, 2020, 3:11pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Rick12
Not just with the black slave trade either.Incredible when I read that the Arab slave trade was still going strong up to the late 19th century and in some parts of the world into the 20th century and even into the 21st century.

Too many choose to forget that these shores were raided by pirates from North Africa with women and children shipped off to the slave markets on the Barbary coast, long before slavery was fashionable here.
Another overlooked and unpalatable fact being that a huge percentage of slaves shipped to places like Liverpool and Bristol were rounded up and sold on by their own countrymen.
Abhorrent yes, but racist?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 290
codcheeky
June 12, 2020, 7:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Too many choose to forget that these shores were raided by pirates from North Africa with women and children shipped off to the slave markets on the Barbary coast, long before slavery was fashionable here.
Another overlooked and unpalatable fact being that a huge percentage of slaves shipped to places like Liverpool and Bristol were rounded up and sold on by their own countrymen.
Abhorrent yes, but racist?

What has this to do with life and equality in the 21st Century? Either you believe in equality for all or you do not. I think most would be shocked we still have statues in this country celebrating slavers, I certainly was.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 290
Rick12
June 13, 2020, 12:01am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

What has this to do with life and equality in the 21st Century? Either you believe in equality for all or you do not. I think most would be shocked we still have statues in this country celebrating slavers, I certainly was.
I was as well to be fair. Its shocking what humans done to each other and are still doing to this day in other areas.

It's a battle between good and evil. In the long run good always wins which is why Iam hopeful things can change overall for the best.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 290
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.