Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

Anti-racism protests

This thread currently has 21,759 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
paulgtfc
June 9, 2020, 1:55pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from gtfc98

Lee Rigby’s family have requested that his name isn’t used to undermine the black lives matter movement.

Hadn't see that - a noble gesture if correct
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 290
paulgtfc
June 9, 2020, 2:06pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from gtfc98

Lee Rigby was killed by terrorists, who were immediately arrested and imprisoned for life. He wasn’t killed by institutionalised racism in a government agency. There was nothing to “protest”, who were people supposed to be protesting against?

The counter argument here is that the terrorists were not lone wolves.  There was - and probably still is - hostility towards our serving personnel even though they risks their lives each day trying to work towards peaceful settlements at home and abroad.  A retired serviceman in Northants told me that serving personnel had been advised not to wear their uniform away from their barracks.  Thus the protest would have been against the undercurrent of hatred/animosity against our brave service personnel, such that they were not even safe to walk our streets in broad daylight.

Back to the US situation and an election year brings a potentially big opportunity to redress the racism that exists there.  Keep it on the agenda, keep the (peaceful) campaigning and maybe just maybe things might change.  However it is a long struggle as things have clearly not moved very far despite a black presidential term.  Baby steps but hopefully the election can bring further progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 290
Rick12
June 9, 2020, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
It’s funny how those looking to disminish, downplay or make comparisons to other irrelevant situations seem to be the same flag bearers for brexit with their Union Jack waving nationalism. Why can’t you simply admit that black people have got a legitimate case to protest and say enough is enough? I’ll tell you why it’s because the way you think is exactly what black people are protesting against - widespread racism.
I think black people do have some cause  to protest but as that ex black policeman said in the video I shared " only a very small percentage of interactions between police and black people in the USA have been problematic".

Some people eg the violent protests  in London and the USA are  just using it as excuse to cause violence as there is not much going in their lives and they get a buzz from it.

Its interesting to note as well that in psychological research most of us have some subconscious racial bias in us albeit some more than others.Hence noone is pure and never will be but only thing we can all do is try to be better each day.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 290
Boris Johnson
June 9, 2020, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Nothing will ever change, the world is full of Black People who dont like White People, and White People who dont like Blacks.  No amount of protest will ever change that.  Its the world in which we live, not nice at times, but thats it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 290
Rick12
June 9, 2020, 5:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Nothing will ever change, the world is full of Black People who dont like White People, and White People who dont like Blacks.  No amount of protest will ever change that.  Its the world in which we live, not nice at times, but thats it.
I think things have moved on dramatically though for black people for the better in comparisons to years gone by but like anything in this life nothing will be perfect and things can constantly be improved for all outside of police/public interactions  .Hence better services eg  NHS/education etc.

I have a lot of admiration though for black people who enter the police eg in the USA and here despite some of what their  peers may think eg dont like police .It says a lot about their character. Tysons Fury new trainer for one springs to mind eg he was a ex black Detroit policeman.Hence police have a important job to do alongside the army who in times of national emergency work together to keep the peace and law and order.

Ultimately  I think though if you have good character that overcomes most obstacles in this life regardless of race.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 290
Roast Em Bobby
June 10, 2020, 1:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Rick12

Ultimately  I think though if you have good character that overcomes most obstacles in this life regardless of race.

That is patently not the case for a lot of black people. You are quick to highlight the trouble at these protests and make arguments based on that, but complete ignore the vast majority who didn’t get involved in any trouble. Listening to the news last night and they showed lots of stats based on employment opportunities, health, wealth etc. and black people were bottom of the pile every time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 290
Rick12
June 10, 2020, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker

That is patently not the case for a lot of black people. You are quick to highlight the trouble at these protests and make arguments based on that, but complete ignore the vast majority who didn’t get involved in any trouble. Listening to the news last night and they showed lots of stats based on employment opportunities, health, wealth etc. and black people were bottom of the pile every time.
Iam not making arguments though Iam just pointing mere facts.A lot of the protesters were peaceful but some were using it as excuse to riot similar to the UK riots in 2011.

I was referring more to police/black relations though.Granted that the protests went beyond police/black relations and were targeting other inequalities.But some used it unfairly to target police who were trying to do a job and got unfairly targeted violently .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 290
Ipswin
June 10, 2020, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
As the mob masquerading as innocent protestors for the black cause criminally damage statues and demand the removal of others based on 200 year old historical events can I please put in a bid to have the statue of convicted terrorist Nelson Mandela removed from display?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 290
Roast Em Bobby
June 10, 2020, 8:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I agree the "whole" statues argument going on is a minefield of contradictions.

But I do believe that if a person's reaction to the protest is to instinctively start blithering on about a minor bit of rioting and a statue being ripped down or de-faced then that person really doesn't understand or care about the racism that black people have faced for generations. It's like comparing a splinter in your finger with having terminal cancer.

If people can't see that, then in my book they are racist (however loud they protest that they are not).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 290
Rick12
June 10, 2020, 9:56pm
Vodka Drinker
I agree the "whole" statues argument going on is a minefield of contradictions.

But I do believe that if a person's reaction to the protest is to instinctively start blithering on about a minor bit of rioting and a statue being ripped down or de-faced then that person really doesn't understand or care about the racism that black people have faced for generations. It's like comparing a splinter in your finger with having terminal cancer.

If people can't see that, then in my book they are racist (however loud they protest that they are not).
But your missing my point entirely. Iam referring to the rioting in the USA which that ex black  policeman in the USA was alluding to which by all accounts was quite widespread which filtered over here to a lesser extent.He states quite passionately that with hard work black people can be a success .I think thats the same here in the UK as well.Granted there maybe more obstacles with some employers(I feel a minority) showing racial bias and other areas  but hard work and dedication will allow you to achieve in the job market if your tenacious and want it bad enough.Its the same for other ethnic groups as well.Hence when most  people see effort/goodness of character I feel that transcends a lot of innate problems.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 290
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.