3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 26, 2020, 4:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
The Major years - ignoring political bias (if you can), what was Major’s premiership (1990-1997) like - what are your memories of it?

I was only 8 when he took over from Thatcher so I was too young to understand. I’m always surprised that he was PM for 7 years and I forget how late in the 90s (1997) that Blair came to power.

As a young teenager growing up in the 90s, I obviously have a nostalgic view of that period, but looking back, was it not Major who built the foundations for many of Blair’s successes?

To me, Major is always remembered (or forgotten) for his boring Spitting Image persona, post Black Friday economic revival, cabinet scandals and Edwina Currie.

I am genuinely interested as I am too young to remember / understand.

Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
May 26, 2020, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Most things that are implemented by government take a full term for the full effect to be realised so most governments spend 5 years putting right their predecessors mistakes that their successor then takes credit for!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
HackneyHaddock
May 26, 2020, 5:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
I'm biased as someone who's generally a conservative and around the same age but I think the Premierships of the likes of Major and Brown will be reassessed to be much more positive as the years pass by.

I've been interested in politics for a long time and have read Major's autobiography as well as those of other figures from the time, and also met local MPs from the area both before and after 1997.

I would say, without wanting to sound like a "What have the Romans ever done for us?" speech, that following the division and radicalism of the Thatcher years, the Major administration was a largely benign government, with several key achievements both in terms of positive legislation and longer term reforms, while also being (towards the end) somewhat shambolic with scandals engulfing senior figures.

Negatives:

-  Black Wednesday recession was terrible for the country
-  Scandal dogged the government
-  Major was hamstrung by some truly dreadful ministers and backbenchers who actively tried to disrupt his government because they never got over the removal of Mrs Thatcher
-  As the country pulled out of recession and towards a balanced budget, public sector investment didn't increase enough to stop a lot of schools and hospitals being quite dilapidated.  Barralad is probably the best person to give you a frontline view on this.
-  There was an internal war over the EC/EU with Major treading a fine line between moderate EU-scepticism and aggressive anti-EU sentiment on his backbenches
-  He failed to hold a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty, which in retrospect could have helped gain acceptance for the transition from the EC to the EU, or at least (had it been rejected) given Major grounds to ask for some reforms and changes in Brussels.

Positives

-  After the Thatcher years, he was a more emollient figure, abolishing the Poll Tax and introducing the Disability Discrimination Act.
-  Showed calm foreign policy leadership during Gulf War and Bosnia, operating through defined UN mandates and in an international coalition.
-  Introduced National Lottery and through the Ministry of National Heritage, sowed the seeds for DCMS and the growth in the arts, sports (including our much-improved Olympic performance!) and culture over the last 25 years (though too London-centric)
-  Followed the Anglo-Irish Agreement with the groundwork for the Good Friday Agreement
-  Kept Britain out of the Euro
-  The post-Black Wednesday budgets did return the country to growth and when Gordon Brown had delivered the final Ken Clarke Budget and its effects had worked into the economy, the national budget was in surplus

There'll be a lot more that others can add, and you'll find died-in-the-wool Labour supporters who will say he didn't invest adequately in public services and oversaw a torrent of sleaze.  I'd say there may be truth in those charges, but also that he had a majority of about 20 and after resignations (many of which were for personal indiscretions that wouldn't even make the papers nowadays) and deaths, he was effectively a minority government held hostage by the worst sort of backbenchers left over from the Thatcher years.

In all, I don't think he'll go down as a great PM, but his reputation will improve over time, and I think most people now, given how we're currently governed,  would bite your arm off to have him back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Gaffer58
May 26, 2020, 5:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
All I remember about Major was, if there was a cricket match on he would be there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Grantham_Mariner
May 26, 2020, 5:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Don't think anyone will ever put up a statue of John Major.

I just wish the same could be said of Thatcher, there will be one shortly in Grantham. Luckily the trees will hide it from a most angles.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
arryarryarry
May 26, 2020, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Just another lying cheating male masturbator who treated the British people with contempt.

In line with the likes of Blair, Brown, Camoron, May and Johnson.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
BarkerDan10
May 26, 2020, 5:48pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +202
Non-football

Sailing In International Waters, my first book about Grimsby Town’s international players available from
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saili.....589795010&sr=8-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
Grantham_Mariner
May 26, 2020, 6:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from arryarryarry
Just another lying cheating male masturbator who treated the British people with contempt.

Big fan of politicians I see.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
arryarryarry
May 26, 2020, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Big fan of politicians I see.  

Always have been😉
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
dapperz fun pub
May 26, 2020, 9:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
All I remember is he was shagging edwina currie ffs ... he was useless he brought in the Pfi schemes in the nhs which Blair carried On  absolute fookn disaster  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2020, 9:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry

You have to ask yourself why someone would ever want to be a politician. I worked on election campaigns for Labour in the 60s and 70s and realised that they do not need to be clever, just cunning. They can get away with lies and deceit because their politics means 50% of the voters are supporters who will take no notice and the other 50% expect it anyway. They just brush off the awkward stuff.I saw Tony Benn do it, Tony Crossland and George Brown. But in those days it was at least face to face and they had open meetings.

Major was/is a quiet operator but he was not a fool. He won the 1992 election by reading the mind of people’s fear of Labour and that forced the Blair/Brown pact and policies to make Labour electable in 1997.

What I remember most of the 90s politically is the deliberate use of mass media to create an image. There was the alliance of Blair with Murdoch and the rapid rise of the media manipulators, Mandelson and Campbell. For the first time I thought people were being conned in their millions by clever presentation that made the Saatchi stuff of Thatcher’s years look amateurish. The one quote from 1997 that sticks in my mind? "I think most people who have dealt with me think I am a pretty straight sort of guy, and I am,“

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Boris Johnson
May 27, 2020, 12:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Shocking....he deserved the win in 1992, not so in 1997. It took a decade for the party to recover any credibility, and he whilst not totally to blame, was in part not strong enough. When you are waking up to MP's being found dead, naked with oranges stuck in somewhat bizarre places, dont be too surprised when you are turfed out of office.  Surrey Cricket man as well....tosser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
mimma
May 27, 2020, 1:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
For what it's worth, my opinion is that people look back at governments through the eyes of the press. This is where I personally have a problem, since the majority support the conservatives and always put a blue spin on things. Gone are the days where newspapers reported the news of the day in a neutral fashion. The Murdoch press in particular will always support the tories to the point where it has become nothing more than the mouthpiece for the tories. It is very difficult to get a balanced view of Thatcher, Major, and Blair for example

.It also depends on what you want from a government. The one thing Major will be remembered for is privatising British Rail. He was the architect behind it. I also remember that he had avery slim majority, which meant he was held to ransom by  his own MPs, and found it very difficult to get things through Parliament without a fair amount of "horse trading".In the end the Tories ran out of steam, and the country was ready for change that Blair gave them. Major was seen as dull and unimaginal,  and didn't have new ideas, or if he did he struggled to get them through parliament. He did abolish Thatcher's hated poll tax, but increased VAT from 15% to 17.5% to pay for a reduction in income tax. So high earners had a tax cut while we paid an extra 2.5% on everything we bought.

In the end even the press turned against him and Blair got a landslide victory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 27, 2020, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma
For what it's worth, my opinion is that people look back at governments through the eyes of the press. This is where I personally have a problem, since the majority support the conservatives and always put a blue spin on things. Gone are the days where newspapers reported the news of the day in a neutral fashion. The Murdoch press in particular will always support the tories to the point where it has become nothing more than the mouthpiece for the tories. It is very difficult to get a balanced view of Thatcher, Major, and Blair for example

.It also depends on what you want from a government. The one thing Major will be remembered for is privatising British Rail. He was the architect behind it. I also remember that he had avery slim majority, which meant he was held to ransom by  his own MPs, and found it very difficult to get things through Parliament without a fair amount of "horse trading".In the end the Tories ran out of steam, and the country was ready for change that Blair gave them. Major was seen as dull and unimaginal,  and didn't have new ideas, or if he did he struggled to get them through parliament. He did abolish Thatcher's hated poll tax, but increased VAT from 15% to 17.5% to pay for a reduction in income tax. So high earners had a tax cut while we paid an extra 2.5% on everything we bought.

In the end even the press turned against him and Blair got a landslide victory.

The Murdoch press was very anti-Tory in the 1990s and well into the second Blair government. Blair was consorting in New York with Wendy remember. I think Spitting Image did more damage to Major though especially after Maastricht and the dalliance with Edwina.

I always loathed Blair but especially when he and Mowlam took the credit with Clinton for the NI agreement when all the groundwork was done by Major. Not that I agreed with the agreement but I especially disagreed with the manner it was done.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
ex-merseymariner
May 27, 2020, 9:35am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9

I thought a key moment in Major's reign was when Chris Patten (set to be his new Chancellor) didn't get in at the 92 election, so Norman Lamont stayed as Chancellor for an extra year or so. Lamont was blamed for the ERM events, and then became a rebel against Major when he left the government.

Another factor was the premature death of John Smith as Labour leader, as Smith was seen by the media as safe but boring, whereas Blair, 10+ years younger, had a wider appeal nationwide, and made the most of countless Tories crises. See 'Back to Basics'.  Pre-social media, the Currie thing didn't come out for years but it explained a lot about why Major couldn't lead his party, it must have been an open secret in Westminster.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 27, 2020, 11:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I thought a key moment in Major's reign was when Chris Patten (set to be his new Chancellor) didn't get in at the 92 election, so Norman Lamont stayed as Chancellor for an extra year or so. Lamont was blamed for the ERM events, and then became a rebel against Major when he left the government.

Another factor was the premature death of John Smith as Labour leader, as Smith was seen by the media as safe but boring, whereas Blair, 10+ years younger, had a wider appeal nationwide, and made the most of countless Tories crises. See 'Back to Basics'.  Pre-social media, the Currie thing didn't come out for years but it explained a lot about why Major couldn't lead his party, it must have been an open secret in Westminster.

Good point about Smith. good man. His appeal was broad within the party but maybe not so broad in the country.

True about Lamont but I have doubts that any Euro business really meant too much to the average voter. It was too technical and though Labour was just as split but they covered it much better with personalities, slogans and above all some killing skewering by Mandelson and co. during the mid 90s. They made that contrast between the brown envelopes, sleaze and greyness on the one side and the open government, whiter than white and an ethical foreign policy on the other. Truth never entered into it. Within weeks the Bernie Ecclestone charade laid the lies bare but as there was no coherent opposition for the next 10 years or more either in parliament or inside the party Blair had a free run all the way to Iraq. (With a little help from Princess Di. )

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
mimma
May 27, 2020, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker

The Murdoch press was very anti-Tory in the 1990s and well into the second Blair government. Blair was consorting in New York with Wendy remember. I think Spitting Image did more damage to Major though especially after Maastricht and the dalliance with Edwina.

I always loathed Blair but especially when he and Mowlam took the credit with Clinton for the NI agreement when all the groundwork was done by Major. Not that I agreed with the agreement but I especially disagreed with the manner it was done.

Have to disagree regarding Northern Ireland. Peace talks were going nowhere under Major, and Thatcher before him. The real turning point was the Warrington bombing, were two little boys died in an IRA attack. It lost the IRA their support in the States and enabled Clinton to help the peace process. The real architect of the peace process was Mo Mowlam, who worked tirelessly to achieve it, even after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 27, 2020, 3:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Have to disagree regarding Northern Ireland. Peace talks were going nowhere under Major, and Thatcher before him. The real turning point was the Warrington bombing, were two little boys died in an IRA attack. It lost the IRA their support in the States and enabled Clinton to help the peace process. The real architect of the peace process was Mo Mowlam, who worked tirelessly to achieve it, even after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. .

I would not belittle the role of Mowlam though she herself was upset at doing the donkey work only for the big boys to come in at the glory stage.

The IRA ceasefire was first in 1994 after the Downing Street Agreement. Between then and 1998 there was a series of atrocities by the IRA in NI, the U.K. and the Republic. Adams and McGuiness clearly thought they could get a better deal from Labour and were prepared to be patient for the election we all knew Blair would win. They were right. But without the Major initiatives there would have been nothing on the table at all for Clinton and Blair.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
jock dock tower
May 27, 2020, 4:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The first, tentative, steps towards peace in mainland Britain was through Ken Livingstone whilst he was in charge of the GLC, inviting representatives of the paramilitaries over to London for talks to try and find common ground. Jeremy Corbyn was also involved in these, something that others used to tar him with, unfairly, as an IRA / Terrorist sympathiser during the last General Election.

The Thatcher government simply blanked any dialogue with the IRA, with the BBC having instead to get actors to repeat what was being said on the News. There were many political wrongs during the troubles, but not having meaningful dialogue with the political wing of the IRA was probably the biggest. It could have stopped the troubles, and deaths, much earlier than they did but it didn't suit Thatcher's image.

Re Mo Mowlam..... she worked tirelessly for peace, a fact acknowledged by all sides during the peace process. For Blair to then ditch her and give the glory signing off to his pal Mandelson spoke volumes about him. A horrible man.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
mimma
May 27, 2020, 4:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Don't think Blair ditched her, she was suffering from cancer, so my personal view is he tried to ease the pressure she was under.

I remember one story about Mo. She had had a hard day and was knackered.  Ian Paisley started with one of his infamous loud rants. She took off her wig, looked him in the eye, and uttered these immortal words;  "intercourse off Ian!!".

She was a truly remarkable lady.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
Eastendmariner
May 28, 2020, 1:02pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
I've made a few mistakes in my time but compare to this lot I'm Mother Theresa  I don't lie to the electorate on daily basis abs disgrace It's bad enough NO football No work But these parasites patting themselves on the back everyday is shocking

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 28, 2020, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Don't think Blair ditched her, she was suffering from cancer, so my personal view is he tried to ease the pressure she was under.

I remember one story about Mo. She had had a hard day and was knackered.  Ian Paisley started with one of his infamous loud rants. She took off her wig, looked him in the eye, and uttered these immortal words;  "intercourse off Ian!!".

She was a truly remarkable lady.

Oh he ditched her alright. The final rounds of negotiations were by Blair, Campbell and Jonathon Powell with Mandelson brought in for the last bits. Blair wanted to get Mowlam out because she was too cosy with the Sinn Fein side. There were several who thought she was OK on the broad principles but had poor grasp of detail and details were all important.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
mimma
May 28, 2020, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker

Oh he ditched her alright. The final rounds of negotiations were by Blair, Campbell and Jonathon Powell with Mandelson brought in for the last bits. Blair wanted to get Mowlam out because she was too cosy with the Sinn Fein side. There were several who thought she was OK on the broad principles but had poor grasp of detail and details were all important.

Or maybe she was just too ill to attend!

It seems you are using this to try to discredit Blair when there is nothing in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 28, 2020, 2:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Or maybe she was just too ill to attend!

It seems you are using this to try to discredit Blair when there is nothing in it.

Not really, I can't discredit him any more than he has himself!

There are several accreditations to the business. This is one from the Guardian about the myths of Mo Mowlam.

A parallel myth is that her(Mowlam's)combined style and conviction drove the grim-faced leaders of Northern Ireland's political parties into signing the Belfast agreement. Yet if you speak to any of the main players engaged in marathon discussions, many of them lasting well into the early hours, at Castle buildings in Stormont, they will tell you Mowlam was a secondary player. Once Blair and his entourage arrived from London, Mowlam and her Northern Ireland office team were swept aside. The prime minister even brought over his own typing pool instead of using Mowlam's staff.

Moreover, it was Blair's own forceful and persuasive personality that cajoled David Trimble, then the leader of mainstream unionism, into signing the Good Friday deal. Privately, Irish government officials have made it clear that without Blair's continued presence towards the end of those historic talks the agreement would never have been established.

This is backed up by John Rentour's book on the Blair years.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
mimma
May 28, 2020, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Thank you for this information.  I have not seen this before.

The one thing it does tell us is that Blair would get things over the line if he needed to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
arryarryarry
May 28, 2020, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma

The one thing it does tell us is that Blair would get things over the line if he needed to.

You mean like an illegal war?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 29, 2020, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Yes. Of course what he wanted to get over the line was not always what other people thought should be over the line!

Blair is an opportunist and he would cheerfully take advantage of what anyone else had done and make it look like his own work. Mowlam was not the genius that some have painted her perhaps out of sympathy but she was not a mug and had done some groundwork in NI. The same applies to Major. A lot of the early work for the Good Friday Agreement was done by him, much of the contact being unofficial. In that quote I gave you, the key words I think are "Blair swept in", that was his style.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › The Major Years

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.