Eastendmariner
May 28, 2020, 1:02pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
I've made a few mistakes in my time but compare to this lot I'm Mother Theresa  I don't lie to the electorate on daily basis abs disgrace It's bad enough NO football No work But these parasites patting themselves on the back everyday is shocking

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 28, 2020, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mimma
Don't think Blair ditched her, she was suffering from cancer, so my personal view is he tried to ease the pressure she was under.

I remember one story about Mo. She had had a hard day and was knackered.  Ian Paisley started with one of his infamous loud rants. She took off her wig, looked him in the eye, and uttered these immortal words;  "intercourse off Ian!!".

She was a truly remarkable lady.

Oh he ditched her alright. The final rounds of negotiations were by Blair, Campbell and Jonathon Powell with Mandelson brought in for the last bits. Blair wanted to get Mowlam out because she was too cosy with the Sinn Fein side. There were several who thought she was OK on the broad principles but had poor grasp of detail and details were all important.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
mimma
May 28, 2020, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78

Oh he ditched her alright. The final rounds of negotiations were by Blair, Campbell and Jonathon Powell with Mandelson brought in for the last bits. Blair wanted to get Mowlam out because she was too cosy with the Sinn Fein side. There were several who thought she was OK on the broad principles but had poor grasp of detail and details were all important.

Or maybe she was just too ill to attend!

It seems you are using this to try to discredit Blair when there is nothing in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 28, 2020, 2:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Or maybe she was just too ill to attend!

It seems you are using this to try to discredit Blair when there is nothing in it.

Not really, I can't discredit him any more than he has himself!

There are several accreditations to the business. This is one from the Guardian about the myths of Mo Mowlam.

A parallel myth is that her(Mowlam's)combined style and conviction drove the grim-faced leaders of Northern Ireland's political parties into signing the Belfast agreement. Yet if you speak to any of the main players engaged in marathon discussions, many of them lasting well into the early hours, at Castle buildings in Stormont, they will tell you Mowlam was a secondary player. Once Blair and his entourage arrived from London, Mowlam and her Northern Ireland office team were swept aside. The prime minister even brought over his own typing pool instead of using Mowlam's staff.

Moreover, it was Blair's own forceful and persuasive personality that cajoled David Trimble, then the leader of mainstream unionism, into signing the Good Friday deal. Privately, Irish government officials have made it clear that without Blair's continued presence towards the end of those historic talks the agreement would never have been established.

This is backed up by John Rentour's book on the Blair years.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
mimma
May 28, 2020, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Thank you for this information.  I have not seen this before.

The one thing it does tell us is that Blair would get things over the line if he needed to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
arryarryarry
May 28, 2020, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mimma

The one thing it does tell us is that Blair would get things over the line if he needed to.

You mean like an illegal war?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 29, 2020, 10:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Yes. Of course what he wanted to get over the line was not always what other people thought should be over the line!

Blair is an opportunist and he would cheerfully take advantage of what anyone else had done and make it look like his own work. Mowlam was not the genius that some have painted her perhaps out of sympathy but she was not a mug and had done some groundwork in NI. The same applies to Major. A lot of the early work for the Good Friday Agreement was done by him, much of the contact being unofficial. In that quote I gave you, the key words I think are "Blair swept in", that was his style.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › The Major Years

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.