This thread currently has 3,086 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
TuckerJenkins
May 23, 2020, 5:45pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +64
Gold Stars: 1
Town had some amazing highs and lows in the 1980s, like the whole decade really.

What was the greatest moment? And the worst?

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Manchester Mariner
May 23, 2020, 7:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
In this months issue of When Saturday Comes there is a piece on our 81-82 addidas kit and also mentions Town winning the 1982 Group Cup. Was this our finest moment of the 80's? I was only 4 at the time but does anyone remember this as all it states on wiki is that we beat Wimbledon 3-2 in the final. Anyone any idea what sort of status the Group Cup had, was it some sort of Simod Cup/Zenith Data Systems Cup pre cursor?

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
arryarryarry
May 23, 2020, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
In this months issue of When Saturday Comes there is a piece on our 81-82 addidas kit and also mentions Town winning the 1982 Group Cup. Was this our finest moment of the 80's? I was only 4 at the time but does anyone remember this as all it states on wiki is that we beat Wimbledon 3-2 in the final. Anyone any idea what sort of status the Group Cup had, was it some sort of Simod Cup/Zenith Data Systems Cup pre cursor?

6th April 1982 beat Wimbledon at home 3-2. I was stood in the Pontoon.

In that format it was only held in 1981/82 and 1982/83 when Millwall won it beating the duffers from down the A46.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Jackie Lewis
May 23, 2020, 10:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
High point - 1988 Alan Buckley becomes manager.
Low point -1985 Mick Lyons becomes manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
Boris Johnson
May 24, 2020, 12:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Got the Champions 40th Book delivered today, that season was just so special.  Tend to forget that we were hoveiring just above relegation late October time.....what a team they turned out to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
barralad
May 24, 2020, 12:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Coming fifth in Division 2 in 83/84 which if it happened now would've seen us in the play offs for the top flight was one hell of an achievement.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
jock dock tower
May 24, 2020, 1:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

It was the forerunner of the ZDS Cup. There was a surprisingly semi decent turn out at BP for it as well.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Les Brechin
May 24, 2020, 1:10pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
One moment that sticks in my mind is Joe Waters scoring (what is still) the fastest ever goal at BP after 10 seconds v Cambridge.

A low one was Marc North (RIP) missing that penalty against Aldershot in the last game of the season that would have kept us up had it gone in. (Had the score remained the same obviously) Although had that goal have gone in we may never have experienced the AB years.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
jock dock tower
May 24, 2020, 2:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Highlight of the 1980s? Has to be THAT night at Goodison when we beat Everton 1-0 in the League Cup.

To put it in to some kind of perspective, Everton were League Champions that season, and would have been playing in the 1985-85 European Cup had England not been banned from European Competition. Only Chelsea beat them at home in the League that season, but only Grimsby prevented them from scoring on their home turf that year.

Town's greatest giant killing act? It has to be, despite later wins at Anfield etc. We didn't beat any other top division league champions apart from Everton.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Abdul19
May 24, 2020, 2:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from jock dock tower

It was the forerunner of the ZDS Cup. There was a surprisingly semi decent turn out at BP for it as well.

There were only 3 first division sides in it across the 2 years though. The Full Members Cup (ZDS) was first and second divsion only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Group_Cup

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
Les Brechin
May 24, 2020, 2:52pm

Highlight of the 1980s? Has to be THAT night at Goodison when we beat Everton 1-0 in the League Cup.

To put it in to some kind of perspective, Everton were League Champions that season, and would have been playing in the 1985-85 European Cup had England not been banned from European Competition. Only Chelsea beat them at home in the League that season, but only Grimsby prevented them from scoring on their home turf that year.

Town's greatest giant killing act? It has to be, despite later wins at Anfield etc. We didn't beat any other top division league champions apart from Everton.

That Everton game is still the most one-sided match I have ever been to where the team on top lost. We were battered that night but Batchy and Chris Nicholl particularly were immense. IIRC they had about 20 efforts on target and a similar amount of corners whereas we had no corner an 2 efforts on target. Steve Foley had a weak daisy cutter in the first half.

We got drenched that night but nobody cared. I can remember being on the coach driving out of Liverpool with people in red shirt applauding all the coaches and then stopping at Hartshead Moor services where the team coach pulled in. Everyone, particularly Wilko were mobbed.

Everton signed Wilko not too long after that game. Happy days indeed.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2020, 2:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Wonderful.

Batch & Wilkie’s greatest hour (and a half!).

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2020, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
My memory is of the second home match of 1983-4 season. We played Leeds and won 2-0. Not a great game apart from the result, but what sticks in my mind is that it was Chris Nichol’s second game and he had already made a huge difference to the side. His presence was superb and the rest of the defence just had to follow his lead. Great player and an inspired signing by Dave Booth.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Eastendmariner
May 25, 2020, 10:44am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
The appointment of Sir Alan B

The Win at Everton IN THE LEAGUE CUP One of our best results ever

First season in DIV 2 1980-81  with all the big boys a great side big gates and who knows if our game at Sheff weds  hadn't been postponed we may have reached div 1

Worst Mike Lyons decimated the playing staff with his aggorant attitude and total lack of managerial experience a disaster the prelude to 2 relations 86-87 and 87-88

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
GrimRob
May 25, 2020, 1:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Wimbledon away has to be one of the best games we ever lost.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 20
Les Brechin
May 25, 2020, 1:51pm

Quoted from GrimRob
Wimbledon away has to be one of the best games we ever lost.

I still say that there was nothing wrong with our "equaliser" a minute or so before they scored their 3rd.

Arsenal at home in the FA  Cup was another "decent" game that we lost.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Iknowyoursecret
May 25, 2020, 4:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -34
Gold Stars: 2
Best game 1985-86 season against arsenal,third round of  a cup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
The Yard Dog
May 25, 2020, 9:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74

Oh what a night, will never forget it, from leaving my YTS placement early, catching the train from New Clee to GY train station, dressed in my kickers, faded jeans and blue Benneton top.
Travelled by coach, some fat twit sat next to me was downing vodka like water, I got up to chat to someone at  the back, when I came back to my seat, he was pissing over my seat.
When we arrived we made our way to the ground, the bloke full vodka thought he could take the Everton boys, do not know what happened to him, as he never made the return journey back on our coach.
Never seen such a one sided match, good job they were no stats back them would hate to think what they would look like, the only STAT that mattered was the score 0-1.
The scenes when we scored was amazing, even the long wait in the pouring rain to get out of Goodison Park, coud not dampen my mood.
Also the singing at Hartshead Moor services was unbelievable, coach drooped me outside the Wellow Hotel late early morning.
Mum did a good job of getting my clothes cleaned, in a right mess.
The goal scorer from that night, went to marry my cousin.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Boris Johnson
May 26, 2020, 1:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Middlesborough in the FA Cup far outweighed the Everton performance, not knocking the Everton performance, but we deserved to win at Ayresome Park that day.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 30, 2020, 6:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
It was the 80s that I first started watching town. First game was v Watford in the fa cup for my birthday, but my first game I properly was drawn in, was a 1-0 win v Portsmouth, a don o’riordon penalty.

I saw some great games, wolves and donny in the fa cup stand out and lows too, namely aldershot and Marc north (rip) penalty miss.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
grimsby pete
May 30, 2020, 1:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Many happy memories from the 80's both home and away.

Until Lyons came and fooked it all up.

Away to Middlesborough and home both  Sheffield clubs stick in the memory as being really good.

Moved to Suffolk in 1987 and since then only been able to see 6-8 games a season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Memories of the 1980s

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.