bax
June 2, 2020, 7:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pen penfras

I agree that it wasn't good PR to say that even if it's technically true. But that's not one of the statements I'm talking about. People are saying that directors said OP was the worst thing that ever happened to the cluband weren't on board with it, but the people actually involved with it said differently.

I’ve tried to avoid commenting on this but just as a statement of fact, a director said this to me in the board room at BP and I was very much involved in OP. I don’t want history to be rewritten.

EDIT - just to add, arguing over what happened in the past is pretty much pointless and it doesn’t help the situation the club finds itself in. I won’t be donating to any crowdfunder or anything similar but I’ll be buying a new shirt and contributing in a more appropriate way and I do hope the club manages to get out of this in a positive manner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 146
Gaffer58
June 2, 2020, 8:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Maybe the OP money did not directly buy Bogle but, the club could have seen how the amount was building up and decided that any Bogle outlay would have been covered by the OP money at a later date.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 146
toontown
June 2, 2020, 11:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
It's easy to claim that the OP money didn't buy bogle after the event when it can't be proven one way or the other, and you have got the money. Maybe the club would have signed him without it, but maybe they wouldnt and the knowledge they had 6 figures coming in from that was what allowed them to go for it. marley clearly had an axe to grind when he made that claim. It's come home to roost now though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 146
aldi_01
June 3, 2020, 6:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As I’ve said, that ill fated night was a disaster and I genuinely don’t believe internally the club saw it that way. If they had they’d have taken it off YouTube and probably terminated the evening.

That night, aside from the odd person, the vast majority in that room lost a little bit of something they feel for the club. You could see it.

The sheer arrogance from the gentleman’s club was there for all to see. From Day telling us Extreme leisure would be building a new huge development and we’re the right people, to making some bold claim that an American wanted to buy us to Marley essentially mocking a fan because said Dan, who had been going to BP considerably longer than Marley, didn’t know who he was. Forgive me but of all the things to know about your club, unimportant board members aren’t usually one of them.

Then the comments about OP, then the open bullying of a bloke who did his job, then the mammary for tat arguing that followed...and the aftermath saw the club fall apart on the field too.

And again, I’d ask the question, who the intercourse is Marley, what does he bring to the table? What impact has he had in moving the club forward? What is his role? What’s his value to the club?

So yeh, whether the club meant to say OP wasn’t great, didn’t help, was the worst thing that happened and so on, it’s easy to see why people are reluctant to get behind crowd funders and the like.

You don’t dwell on the past but as mentioned, I won’t, and plenty others won’t be donating. I’ll buy my ST again and grab a shirt and possibly some other random excrement but that’s all.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 146
Davec
June 3, 2020, 7:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from aldi_01
As I’ve said, that ill fated night was a disaster and I genuinely don’t believe internally the club saw it that way. If they had they’d have taken it off YouTube and probably terminated the evening.

That night, aside from the odd person, the vast majority in that room lost a little bit of something they feel for the club. You could see it.

The sheer arrogance from the gentleman’s club was there for all to see. From Day telling us Extreme leisure would be building a new huge development and we’re the right people, to making some bold claim that an American wanted to buy us to Marley essentially mocking a fan because said Dan, who had been going to BP considerably longer than Marley, didn’t know who he was. Forgive me but of all the things to know about your club, unimportant board members aren’t usually one of them.

Then the comments about OP, then the open bullying of a bloke who did his job, then the mammary for tat arguing that followed...and the aftermath saw the club fall apart on the field too.

And again, I’d ask the question, who the intercourse is Marley, what does he bring to the table? What impact has he had in moving the club forward? What is his role? What’s his value to the club?

So yeh, whether the club meant to say OP wasn’t great, didn’t help, was the worst thing that happened and so on, it’s easy to see why people are reluctant to get behind crowd funders and the like.

You don’t dwell on the past but as mentioned, I won’t, and plenty others won’t be donating. I’ll buy my ST again and grab a shirt and possibly some other random excrement but that’s all.

The evening was a shambles

Marley certainly came across every confrontational that evening "so you're calling me a liar?" And then yelling "shut up" at a fan and of course the lairy comment "fancy a fan not knowing my name"

Fenty bringing up out of nowhere the Curtis Woodhouse story totally unprovoked which perked up the people sat in the front row who then along with Russell Slade ganged up on Matt Dean, those people were all placed there by the club I feel and it was a clear ambush co-ordinated by Fenty and Slade, I also notice Fenty and Slade waited until Radio Humberside had finished broadcasting before starting the attack aided by their friends in the front row.

Of course the video is still on Youtube so the club clearly sees it as good PR, just shows how the club is run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 146
Bigdog
June 3, 2020, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from bax

I’ve tried to avoid commenting on this but just as a statement of fact, a director said this to me in the board room at BP and I was very much involved in OP. I don’t want history to be rewritten.

EDIT - just to add, arguing over what happened in the past is pretty much pointless and it doesn’t help the situation the club finds itself in. I won’t be donating to any crowdfunder or anything similar but I’ll be buying a new shirt and contributing in a more appropriate way and I do hope the club manages to get out of this in a positive manner.

I'm sure it's in the public domain (JF secret recordings?) that the board regarded OP as welcome but hadn't changed how the club were going to operate that season (SM Fan's Forum?) and it raised too much pressure and expectation. We'll be having none of that expectancy or raised hopes malarky at GTFC..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 146
Bigdog
June 3, 2020, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01

A PR guy he isn't, but I'm going to back SM up. He is integral to the running of the club by setting strict budgets to enable the club to squeeze as much as they can into the playing budget. I'm guessing when IH stated how well run the club is, he meant it didn't waste money like the other clubs he'd been at might have done. We know the frailties in other areas the club has, but SM will be part of what IH was alluding to along with JF checking every invoice..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 146
toontown
June 3, 2020, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from aldi_01

Well marley saves us an accountants bill each year I suppose is the main thing he offers, presumably.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 146
Ipswin
June 3, 2020, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from toontown

Well marley saves us an accountants bill each year I suppose is the main only thing he offers, presumably.

Amended for you, he certainly doesn't put his hand in his pocket

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 146
mimma
June 3, 2020, 3:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Why can't people on here let it go FFS.

If I want to donate then I will do, if you don't want to then don't. I am not going to let other people's opinions get in the way of what I see is fit and proper thing to do.

Why bring all this nonsense into it? It's become another board / Fenty bashing exercise like every other thread on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Crowdfunding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.