pen penfras
June 1, 2020, 9:26am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from moosey_club

No.  It was stated at the fans forum Nov 2017, by the top table (Mr Marley i think)  that Omar had already been scouted and identified & budgeted for when the season budget was set and the O.P monies therefore werent needed for that and went elsewhere in the running costs.

Does it really matter whether the money bought Omar, paid for Tomlinson to come in on loan or went towards paying the gas bill? It was a great scheme run by the fans, got national attention and ultimately we got promoted.

The problem came that because it was called "Operation Promotion" and fans had put their hands in their pocket to boost the budget, it created an expectancy that we would easily get promoted. After a promising start, we seemed to progressively worse over the season and a lot of hatred and negativity towards the club was fueled. I don't know what exact statements were made that are referred to, I've only seen what people write on here, but I'm sure they're not only comments made with regret, but also taken, at least partially, out of context
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 146
Iknowyoursecret
June 1, 2020, 11:13pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -34
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from pen penfras

Does it really matter whether the money bought Omar, paid for Tomlinson to come in on loan or went towards paying the gas bill? It was a great scheme run by the fans, got national attention and ultimately we got promoted.

The problem came that because it was called "Operation Promotion" and fans had put their hands in their pocket to boost the budget, it created an expectancy that we would easily get promoted. After a promising start, we seemed to progressively worse over the season and a lot of hatred and negativity
towards the club was fueled. I don't know what exact statements were made that are referred to, I've only seen what people write on here, but I'm sure they're not only comments made with regret, but also taken, at least partially, out of context

A Few questions for Mr Marley(shut up)

Did you not say Operation Promotion DID NOT PAY for Omar Bogle ?,who did then.

Where have the shares come from?

Are you as honourable as honest John ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 146
TheCodfather1966
June 1, 2020, 11:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Although personally I am happy to make a donation, I totally respect the opinions of those fans that take the opposite view.  The bigger question is how sustainable is football at our level ?  I can honestly see 10+ league clubs that will go under if crowds are not let in before January 2021 a date that has been mentioned for the return of crowds by some political and scientific pundits.  Also will GTFC get their act together and make the ground more hygenic with better toilets and hand washing facilities.  I sincerely hope the money raised does not all go to paying wages etc, there must be a lot of things on the list of equal importance.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 146
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
June 2, 2020, 12:28am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
I sincerely hope the money raised does not all go to paying wages etc, there must be a lot of things on the list of equal importance.

UTM

Yes, a new Jacuzzi and steam room at Castle Fenty

And drawing up plans for another new ground that'll never happen. They don't come cheap!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 146
Helgy
June 2, 2020, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
I don't think fans in general realise how bad as place football clubs are in , with no cash flow for the last few months and the prospect of non in the next few months.
It's a recipe for disaster for all clubs.
Then i think this is a good idea, any money that goes into a club right now will help , it will go into the general pot but that's a good thing.
This is something a lot of clubs will have to do to keep afloat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 146
Ipswin
June 2, 2020, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
The Dutch Eredivisie clubs are not as tight as our Premier League giants

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/.....cken-by-coronavirus/

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 146
arryarryarry
June 2, 2020, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

Yes, a new Jacuzzi and steam room at Castle Fenty

And drawing up plans for another new ground that'll never happen. They don't come cheap!

I wonder how much has been wasted on the Great Coates and Peaks Parkway sites.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 146
Bigdog
June 2, 2020, 5:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
[quote=140128]

Does it really matter whether the money bought Omar,
paid for Tomlinson to come in on loan or went towards paying the gas bill? It was a great scheme run by the fans, got national attention and ultimately we got promoted.

The problem came that because it was called "Operation Promotion" and fans had put their hands in their pocket to boost the budget, it created an expectancy that we would easily get promoted. After a promising start, we seemed to progressively worse over the season and a lot of hatred and negativity towards the club was fueled. I don't know what exact statements were made that are referred to, I've only seen what people write on here, but I'm sure they're not only comments made with regret, but also taken, at least partially, out of context[/quote]

The comments weren't taken out of context in the slightest. At the Fan's Forum a fan said the OP money had bought Bogle. Stephen Marley said that the money didn't buy Bogle as the club had bought him before they'd received the OP funds. On SM's part he may have been factually correct but his declaration was very mean spirited towards the huge effort and commitment by the fans to raise the money and a really poor piece of PR. The fans didn't buy Bogle because of the timing of funds coming in was a technicality and nothing more. Our fans have a history of getting together to provide funds for the club like Bonetti, Waters etc and it would have been amazing if the fans were told they'd bought Omar and built a stronger bond at the club, but sadly it didn't happen and it will be a reason why there isn't quite the groundswell of support for the current crowdfunding efforts. SM needlessly left bad sentiments and if he was more adept at PR, he'd have said of course OP bought Omar. A little white lie technically, but a win win all round..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 146
pen penfras
June 2, 2020, 7:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog
[quote=140128]

Does it really matter whether the money bought Omar,
paid for Tomlinson to come in on loan or went towards paying the gas bill? It was a great scheme run by the fans, got national attention and ultimately we got promoted.

The problem came that because it was called "Operation Promotion" and fans had put their hands in their pocket to boost the budget, it created an expectancy that we would easily get promoted. After a promising start, we seemed to progressively worse over the season and a lot of hatred and negativity towards the club was fueled. I don't know what exact statements were made that are referred to, I've only seen what people write on here, but I'm sure they're not only comments made with regret, but also taken, at least partially, out of context[/quote]

The comments weren't taken out of context in the slightest. At the Fan's Forum a fan said the OP money had bought Boigle. Stephen Marley said that the money didn't buy Bogle as the club had bought him before they'd received the OP funds. On SM's part he may have been factually correct but his declaration was very mean spirited towards the huge effort and commitment by the fans to raise the money and a really poor piece of PR. The fans didn't buy Bogle because of the timing of funds coming in was a technicality and nothing more. Our fans have a history of getting together to provide funds for the club like Bonetti, Waters etc and it would have been amazing if the fans were told they'd bought Omar and built a stronger bond at the club, but sadly it didn't happen and it will be a reason why there isn't quite the groundswell of support for the current crowdfunding efforts. SM needlessly left bad sentiments and if he was more adept at PR, he'd have said of course OP bought Omar. A little white lie technically, but a win win all round..

I agree that it wasn't good PR to say that even if it's technically true. But that's not one of the statements I'm talking about. People are saying that directors said OP was the worst thing that ever happened to the club and weren't on board with it, but the people actually involved with it said differently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 146
moosey_club
June 2, 2020, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from pen penfras

The problem came that because it was called "Operation Promotion" and fans had put their hands in their pocket to boost the budget, it created an expectancy that we would easily get promoted. After a promising start, we seemed to progressively worse over the season and a lot of hatred and negativity towards the club was fueled. I don't know what exact statements were made that are referred to, I've only seen what people write on here, but I'm sure they're not only comments made with regret, but also taken, at least partially, out of context

I was answering a specific question, does it matter ultimately want the money went on ?  No it doesnt, you are correct.
The money was raised to aid the club funds and it did that so it could easily have helped bring in Nolan who also helped us get over the line......i really dont care what it went on specifically, it was the fans responce after what felt like injustice vs Bristol, the fans could have turned then, lost interest , been dejected but by and large the fans response to the Bristol defeat was magnificent.

The point is the top table then rubbished that effort, belittled it as if it was insignificant and therefore there are those that want absolutely nothing to do with this latest whip round.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 146
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Crowdfunding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.