codcheeky
May 14, 2020, 4:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from jock dock tower
You forgot the days in the old Second Division in the 1980s, when we would regularly finish in the top half and yet still attract crowds of less than 5,000. Nothing is ever as black and white as it seems.

I know it is different times but these are the facts, it makes looking at anything over a 10,000 capacity new stadium seem very hopeful indeed, pretending we are bigger than we are or building a stadium to fit a couple of games a season will not help anyone, we are better off building a smaller stadium with better facilities. We are football town but unfortunately also a low wage area, spare money for football is a luxury for many. This is unlikely to change for a while when you look at the coming recession.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2020, 4:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS AFC Wimbledon have obviously been credited with Wimbledon FC’s attendances because the capacity at Kingsmeadow has never been above above 5500 in their FL time there. Seems fair enough though. 😊

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
NorthseaMariner
May 14, 2020, 7:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from codcheeky

I know it is different times but these are the facts, it makes looking at anything over a 10,000 capacity new stadium seem very hopeful indeed, pretending we are bigger than we are or building a stadium to fit a couple of games a season will not help anyone, we are better off building a smaller stadium with better facilities. We are football town but unfortunately also a low wage area, spare money for football is a luxury for many. This is unlikely to change for a while when you look at the coming recession.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with lack of money in the area, just most people cannot be bothered or just aren’t interested enough to go. If Ollie can continue with exciting football, people will come back, especially if we can get a quality stadium. Although I doubt we will ever get one unfortunately.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
toontown
May 15, 2020, 10:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from codcheeky

Totally agree. In the championship we got barely any more than our league 2 gates. We don't need any more than 10000 capacity, maybe with possibility of extending to 12000 in the future. Anything bigger would detract hugely from atmosphere and be counter productive, as well as being an unnecessary millstone in terms of cost to build and maintain. Anyway unlikely to be a problem now, any chance of a new stadium has gone I'd have thought.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Grim up north
May 15, 2020, 12:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Got to disagree about 80's Town crowds . Football attendances were at an all time low in the 80's across all clubs. Premiership games average was lower than 20 ,000 and League 2 around 2,500. I'm not saying build a monstrosity like Darlo but you need to be able to profit from 4000 away fans revenue if we were to go up to League1 and ever the championship again. 14000 if done in the style of Rotherhams New York would give that.Plus if on the docks, the larger home end could be positioned to look out over the marina and whatever else gets built in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
mimma
May 15, 2020, 12:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
I can never understand all this. 5,000 in the old championship days but we can take 4,000 to an away game in the fourth tier. How does that work???

For what it's worth, 14,000 capacity with say 3,000 away capacity leaves us with 11,000 home fans,which seems about right to me. Assuming we can get promoted then the away end could be well populated when playing bigger teams, and filled if we play the likes of Lincoln Doncaster Barnsley etc. If we play teams with a lower following and we need extra capacity for us, open up more of the away end. Remember, Bournemouth only looked at what were getting when the redeveloped their ground, look how that turned out.

We are in a unique position in that we do not have any big clubs nearby, to watch top flight games we have to travel. There isn't any other sporting things to watch other than Town. If the facilities are right it is my belief that we could get bigger attendances when playing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All Time Average Home Attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.