Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Random Town Thoughts....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 213 Guests

Random Town Thoughts....

This thread currently has 3,525 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Yossarian
April 7, 2020, 10:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
I see the forum is pretty quiet so I thought I'd throw up a post just about random thoughts about supporting town, the past, experiences, the future, memories.

In times like this when I am sure we are all missing football (whether we attend in person or not) it is good to look back at the more forgotten moments of match day (pre, during, post)

Here are some to start:

- I dont live in the region any more and haven;t for many years, but I miss the pre-game drinks at The Imperial pub (RIP)- when I was a kid it was rammed and full of smoke and I watched my dad slam down 4 pints before the match.  More recently, rammed and stinking of wet carpet.  The rise in anticipation ahead of the game.....
- The crackle of excitement when I take my friends from down here in London to away games knowing they will say "Grimsby fans are a bit mental" - the buzz and the excitement of being in a pub before the game and everyone is up for it.
- The inevitable fug of frustration when you realise 30 mins into the game that it is going to be totally dire
- misery football:  Just knowing that the mid January away match at <insert random place here> will be a 0-0 draw
- The unexpected,joyous away win that inspires crazy, delusional talk about promotion because we beat Rochdale 1-0 away with a scuffed 85th minute winner

Ah. Town.  I love you.  I hate you.  It must be excrement supporting a team that wins stuff year-on-year.  I prefer it this way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
April 7, 2020, 11:28pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

"Random Town Thoughts?"

I just think financially we will be alright after this crisis as there are a lot more FL clubs in a worse position than us and the hierarchy aren't going to let them fold so we will be fine.
Dare I say it credit to Mr Fenty.

On the football, I'm really feeling positive now, going to BP is no longer a chore....or was.
You never know, next season we could be a contender for promotion with Ollie in charge.

And seeing Swann pulling the plug at Scunny makes the future look even brighter  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 8, 2020, 12:22am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
For too many years those mid-January visits to <insert gobby southern club> Getting a 0-0 would be a result. If we got stop getting beat at places like Crawley and Stevenage, I’d be happier.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
Mayaman
April 8, 2020, 2:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I used to teach English in a language centre down in the smoke.  On the Monday morning I asked the class what they'd done at the weekend.  I had to Swiss students (unfortunately not Swiss au pairs)  who told me they'd been to see Arsenal V Chelsea.  One of the teams lost man early doors and then decided to park the bus so the rest of the game rolled out a turgid 0-0   They bemoaned the 60 quid entrance fee and the quality of the football.  As it happened Town were playing Reading the following week and I asked them if they wanted to tag along.  At first, they were a little suspicious but they agreed.

We arrived at Reading and went into a pub for a few jars.   They were both worried about not being able to get in and were really antsy.  Don't worry I told 'em, we haven't even had our mandatory fish and chips yet.  On the way to the ground we got some and walked as we ate.  However, the two lads were lagging behind.  I wondered why.  I turned to see what they were doing and every time they took a chip they stopped and ate it then walked a little bit.  They'd never grown up eating and walking , so they basically couldn't do it.  Bloody hell I thought.  I can run away from skin'eds and eat.  

The game was a thrilling end to end 1-1 draw and the the Swiss were hooked.  We did a few more away games around the London area.  We kept in touch for a while (pre internet) and they always asked how the Mariners were getting on.  I sent them some mushy peas once but they didn't go down so well. UTMM!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
aldi_01
April 8, 2020, 8:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In times like this I think it’s the romantic memories that come to forefront, much like the time standing in a packed pub with ones dad before the match or the whiff of pie whilst sat on the fence at a packed BP.

I also remember stuff at games that ordinarily wouldn’t enter my head...like the time the bloke sat next to me at Bramhall Lane just whipped his flask out, poured a drink and then town scored...the thing went everywhere and said flask was never seen again.

The time after we beat the bin dipped and we were kept penned in behind the anfield road end for what seemed like an eternity or the Everton fans applauding the town buses.

I remember playing football a on Sidney park after school, the day of some cup games, could be Leicester, could be West Ham, who knows but I remember the park keeper locked the gates and panicking how on earth we would get out. The only logical solution was climb over some huge gate...managed not to die and town won.

Plenty of excrement memories too but when you support a club like town that’s part of it for me. I’m not saying losing a European cup final is any easier or is in anyway not excrement, especially when it’s your club (those armchair, TV fans haven’t a clue) but when 1500 of ya turn up at Rochdale and from KO it is absolutely flipping dreadful and you deep down know relegation is coming, that’s horrible...but it’s still a memory.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Madeleymariner
April 8, 2020, 9:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Doing the Conga in the away end on a Tuesday night at Millmoor. What seemed like a massive adventure when my Dad took me to the Coventry away cup match in the early 70s ,the main thing I remember was being amazed how big the ground was, but best part was on the way back stopping at the closed market place in the middle of Newark at what seemed to me as an 8 yr old the middle of the night, and my Dad getting us pie and chips from the chippy and sitting in the car together (my parents had just got divorced at this point), The drive down to Wembley for play off final v Northampton. 7 of us in an old Mercedes Estate, with me and my Auntie sitting on the floor of the boot facing backwards (nowadays of course Police would nick you for that) and the panic when our driver turned back up the M1 where it ended on the edge of London not knowing where the nearest junction was to turn back south again.
Not being able to understand Graham who was always walking round the Main stand randomly talking to people or himself again when I was (and I suppose him as well) were very young.
A Tuesday away game at at Northampton wher a win I think would guarantee promotion, my Dad telling the school I had a dentist appt at 2.30pm (my mum was not allowed to know we had done this)  so he could take me out of school early as he likes to get places well on time, and when we arrived the opposite to Coventry where it was strange to stand on the grass next to the pitch just behind a rope.
Its amazing the things we remember which aren't neccesarily about the game on the pitch but just the experiences of following us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
jock dock tower
April 8, 2020, 11:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Re The Imperial.

1971-2 season, four of us used to meet in there early doors for a game of fives and threes - and to get a seat of course. It was during one of these games we saw a woman come into the bar, find her husband sat down, and planted his hot dinner in front of him whilst doubting his lack of athletic ability and parentage.

The guy who very occasionally came in there back in the day and started playing the bagpipes. Never seen so many Grimsby / Scottish fans (must have had a lasting effect on me!)

I wasn't there, so don't know whether it's a modern day myth or not, but did anyone actually see Elton John in there at the end of the 77-8 season when Watford came to BP and won the Tuesday night game, and set off on their meteoric rise to the top.

Standing outside in the Imp car park, watching everyone go by. The talk was always "I wonder what kind of mob ***** will bring today"" Inevitably there wasn't one.

The Imp was a sh1thole of a pub, but it was Town's pub, and I really do feel for folk who are too young to have missed those magical matchdays in there. They truly were something else. GBNF.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Grantham_Mariner
April 8, 2020, 11:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
The thing I miss the most about the Imp is that after driving 65+ to home games from where I live you could usually guarantee a place to park (If you got there an hour early), £2.50 was well worth it. Now I have to trawl the back streets like everyone else.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
TownSNAFU5
April 8, 2020, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Read the comments about Town 0 Spurs 0 on another thread.  Not sure where now.

I totally agreed that we played well, lots of possession, created chances and had numerous corners.  

Top strikers take their chances - which is why they aren’t playing Grimsby in the league.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Rick12
April 8, 2020, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Grimsby Town= family connections, keeping it real.

Its why I support the club.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
Mayaman
April 8, 2020, 3:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I often cite that heady weekend when half of Grimsby travelled south to watch the Mariners play for the first time in their history at on the hallowed Wembley  stadium.  

At that time I was living in South East London.  I shared a flat with a Liverpool fan and a Stoke fan who kept singing, "Put the champagne on ice, we're off to Wembley twice.  Griiimmssbyyy Town!". I agreed that I certainly would buy some champers of Town won. I also made the promise at work.

I'd been wooing this lass with not much success but the closer the 19 April came the closer she was letting me get.  I guess it was my excited energy.  On the Saturday, we decided to go Broadstairs for the day.   Fish N Chips at the coast a few jars in an old smugglers pub and a walk down the beach  was all perfect.   When we got back to London she wanted to go to a show.  Most of the tickets were sold out apart from Rent, which neither of us were into.  I grabbed a copy of Tine Out and found out Roy Ayers was playing at Ronnie Scotts. We joined the back of a long queue snaking down the street. When we finally got to the to the door , the doorman said 'standing room only.".  At the time I had a big problem with my feet and standing for long periods of time were excruciating.  I'd already queued too long. The doorman saw my dismay and suggested I go downstairs for a meal, and he would see what he could do.  I expected some table squeezed into a corner behind a column.  Nope.  We had the best table in the house!  At the interval we chinwagged with Roy and the band, We got home late that night and she asked if she could stay.  Looks like the Mariners had already scored.

She was flying home the next morning so we got back to her pad and I took her to Heathrow.  who should  I bump into but the saxophonist from the band.  He offered to buy me breakfast but I said I was off to important game.

I couldn't believe it sat there among all the Black 'n' White.  It was a bit of a downer when Bournemouth took the lead.   I was thinking I'd love to celebrate at least a goal at Wembley, when Kingsley Black headed in the equaliser.  All of you that were there know how that felt.  I think it was a young Eddie Howe who headed out for a corner that lead to our winner.  I have a lot of respect for him.  The journey home was also awesome.  I went into a boozer and some Bournemouth fans bought me a beer. Cars were honking their horn as I walked home  and the occupants were putting their thumbs up. The champagne went down a treat. Spent a fortune that weekend but worth every penny.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 8, 2020, 10:32pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman
I often cite that heady weekend when half of Grimsby travelled south to watch the Mariners play for the first time in their history at on the hallowed Wembley  stadium.  

At that time I was living in South East London.  I shared a flat with a Liverpool fan and a Stoke fan who kept singing, "Put the champagne on ice, we're off to Wembley twice.  Griiimmssbyyy Town!". I agreed that I certainly would buy some champers of Town won. I also made the promise at work.

I'd been wooing this lass with not much success but the closer the 19 April came the closer she was letting me get.  I guess it was my excited energy.  On the Saturday, we decided to go Broadstairs for the day.   Fish N Chips at the coast a few jars in an old smugglers pub and a walk down the beach  was all perfect.   When we got back to London she wanted to go to a show.  Most of the tickets were sold out apart from Rent, which neither of us were into.  I grabbed a copy of Tine Out and found out Roy Ayers was playing at Ronnie Scotts. We joined the back of a long queue snaking down the street. When we finally got to the to the door , the doorman said 'standing room only.".  At the time I had a big problem with my feet and standing for long periods of time were excruciating.  I'd already queued too long. The doorman saw my dismay and suggested I go downstairs for a meal, and he would see what he could do.  I expected some table squeezed into a corner behind a column.  Nope.  We had the best table in the house!  At the interval we chinwagged with Roy and the band, We got home late that night and she asked if she could stay.  Looks like the Mariners had already scored.

She was flying home the next morning so we got back to her pad and I took her to Heathrow.  who should  I bump into but the saxophonist from the band.  He offered to buy me breakfast but I said I was off to important game.

I couldn't believe it sat there among all the Black 'n' White.  It was a bit of a downer when Bournemouth took the lead.   I was thinking I'd love to celebrate at least a goal at Wembley, when Kingsley Black headed in the equaliser.  All of you that were there know how that felt.  I think it was a young Eddie Howe who headed out for a corner that lead to our winner.  I have a lot of respect for him.  The journey home was also awesome.  I went into a boozer and some Bournemouth fans bought me a beer. Cars were honking their horn as I walked home  and the occupants were putting their thumbs up. The champagne went down a treat. Spent a fortune that weekend but worth every penny.

'kinell man, that's got to be the best weekend ever.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Yossarian
April 9, 2020, 12:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
Mayaman - great post and yes, I remember the first Wembley game thinking "I just want to see Town score".  I was right behind the goal when the ball went in - went fekin mental.  Such a great day out.  I remember I had to be at Heathrow the next day at 05:30 in the morning to check in for a flight to France for work.  I was stinking of booze.  No idea how I made it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Jackal
April 10, 2020, 1:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Being a lifer of a mariners fan I remember my teenage years watching the likes of Joe waters and crew.
We believed and the team regularly proved that on their day, that town team could take on anyone with our fabulous along the ground quality of football.
A very fond memory of mine was the home game against Everton.
My regular spot was in the pontoon but being a bit slow on the ticket purchase I was gutted to find I could only get a ticket for the corner between the Osmond and Barretts stand.
Oh how fortunate that ticket turned out. I had a fabulous view of Mick Brolly’s incredible skill at hitting the back of the net.
I still can remember the feelings of total elation that night.

Another less fond memory was watching town being put to the sword by the likes of Souness and McDermott at Anfield 5-0 .  But you know what, the town faithful showed their love of good football by giving Liverpool players an ovation for their sublime skill. They were awesome to watch.
I do remember after the fifth goal went in every town fan singing “up the mariners , we’re gonna win the cup one day”as loud as I’d ever heard.

One funny memory was again wolves in the second cup replay at Leicester.
Five of us had driven down and got parked close enough to walk the terraced streets to the ground.
About 100 yards ahead was a T junction and we heard some shouting.
We saw around 5 town fans run from right to left across the end of the junction  being quickly chased by around 25 Wolves fans.
It didn’t look good for the five,
Imagine our delight when we saw the 25 Wolves fans running back the way they came,  being chased by around 200 Grimsby fans.  Classic comedy.

Yes there has been a lot of sad times but so many fabulous memories of my team and the town faithful.
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 10, 2020, 9:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,760
Gold Stars: 177
Not sure if anyone else on here would’ve been there, but remember town drawing 0-0 at the vetch, Swansea. A poor 0-0 fa cup draw (and a long journey there and back on Bernards bus).

But, what I remember, I think, was a game of footy at the front of the stand with a mannequins head! Totally bizarre

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
lee65
April 10, 2020, 9:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Yossarian
Mayaman - great post and yes, I remember the first Wembley game thinking "I just want to see Town score".  I was right behind the goal when the ball went in - went fekin mental.  Such a great day out.  I remember I had to be at Heathrow the next day at 05:30 in the morning to check in for a flight to France for work.  I was stinking of booze.  No idea how I made it.

I guess there will be lots of fans now who can’t even remember the shortish lived “Golden Goal” concept, but that made the Wayne Burnett moment even more special!
The other thing that sticks in my mind about that day is the Teams walking out of the tunnel to Oasis “Roll with it”  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Ipswin
April 10, 2020, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from lee65

I guess there will be lots of fans now who can’t even remember the shortish lived “Golden Goal” concept, but that made the Wayne Burnett moment even more special!
The other thing that sticks in my mind about that day is the Teams walking out of the tunnel to Oasis “Roll with it”  

Apart from Town's goals and the wonderful win, I remember missing the Bournemouth goal as we'd had so many beers before the game and I was queueing for the gents (lots of other Mariners had consumed a few too!) at first I thought I'd missed a Town goal as the roar from their fans was quite loud. I remember the bloody uncomfortable bench seats with no leg room.

My other memory is just how much we dominated Northampton in that second appearance, watched it on You Tube only the other day, I'd forgotten Alan Brazil was co-commentator on both Town appearances

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Abdul19
April 10, 2020, 10:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Yeah I watched the Northampton game not so long ago as well and we were so much better than them. They were fucking awful!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2020, 12:32am
Meths Drinker
It would have been a bloody travesty if Northampton had got a goal in that game. Still don’t know where referee Heilhitlerbron got 6 mi utes injury time from.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Random Town Thoughts....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.