Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Random Town Thoughts....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

Random Town Thoughts....

This thread currently has 3,553 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
April 8, 2020, 3:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,393
Gold Stars: 73
I often cite that heady weekend when half of Grimsby travelled south to watch the Mariners play for the first time in their history at on the hallowed Wembley  stadium.  

At that time I was living in South East London.  I shared a flat with a Liverpool fan and a Stoke fan who kept singing, "Put the champagne on ice, we're off to Wembley twice.  Griiimmssbyyy Town!". I agreed that I certainly would buy some champers of Town won. I also made the promise at work.

I'd been wooing this lass with not much success but the closer the 19 April came the closer she was letting me get.  I guess it was my excited energy.  On the Saturday, we decided to go Broadstairs for the day.   Fish N Chips at the coast a few jars in an old smugglers pub and a walk down the beach  was all perfect.   When we got back to London she wanted to go to a show.  Most of the tickets were sold out apart from Rent, which neither of us were into.  I grabbed a copy of Tine Out and found out Roy Ayers was playing at Ronnie Scotts. We joined the back of a long queue snaking down the street. When we finally got to the to the door , the doorman said 'standing room only.".  At the time I had a big problem with my feet and standing for long periods of time were excruciating.  I'd already queued too long. The doorman saw my dismay and suggested I go downstairs for a meal, and he would see what he could do.  I expected some table squeezed into a corner behind a column.  Nope.  We had the best table in the house!  At the interval we chinwagged with Roy and the band, We got home late that night and she asked if she could stay.  Looks like the Mariners had already scored.

She was flying home the next morning so we got back to her pad and I took her to Heathrow.  who should  I bump into but the saxophonist from the band.  He offered to buy me breakfast but I said I was off to important game.

I couldn't believe it sat there among all the Black 'n' White.  It was a bit of a downer when Bournemouth took the lead.   I was thinking I'd love to celebrate at least a goal at Wembley, when Kingsley Black headed in the equaliser.  All of you that were there know how that felt.  I think it was a young Eddie Howe who headed out for a corner that lead to our winner.  I have a lot of respect for him.  The journey home was also awesome.  I went into a boozer and some Bournemouth fans bought me a beer. Cars were honking their horn as I walked home  and the occupants were putting their thumbs up. The champagne went down a treat. Spent a fortune that weekend but worth every penny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 8, 2020, 10:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mayaman
I often cite that heady weekend when half of Grimsby travelled south to watch the Mariners play for the first time in their history at on the hallowed Wembley  stadium.  

At that time I was living in South East London.  I shared a flat with a Liverpool fan and a Stoke fan who kept singing, "Put the champagne on ice, we're off to Wembley twice.  Griiimmssbyyy Town!". I agreed that I certainly would buy some champers of Town won. I also made the promise at work.

I'd been wooing this lass with not much success but the closer the 19 April came the closer she was letting me get.  I guess it was my excited energy.  On the Saturday, we decided to go Broadstairs for the day.   Fish N Chips at the coast a few jars in an old smugglers pub and a walk down the beach  was all perfect.   When we got back to London she wanted to go to a show.  Most of the tickets were sold out apart from Rent, which neither of us were into.  I grabbed a copy of Tine Out and found out Roy Ayers was playing at Ronnie Scotts. We joined the back of a long queue snaking down the street. When we finally got to the to the door , the doorman said 'standing room only.".  At the time I had a big problem with my feet and standing for long periods of time were excruciating.  I'd already queued too long. The doorman saw my dismay and suggested I go downstairs for a meal, and he would see what he could do.  I expected some table squeezed into a corner behind a column.  Nope.  We had the best table in the house!  At the interval we chinwagged with Roy and the band, We got home late that night and she asked if she could stay.  Looks like the Mariners had already scored.

She was flying home the next morning so we got back to her pad and I took her to Heathrow.  who should  I bump into but the saxophonist from the band.  He offered to buy me breakfast but I said I was off to important game.

I couldn't believe it sat there among all the Black 'n' White.  It was a bit of a downer when Bournemouth took the lead.   I was thinking I'd love to celebrate at least a goal at Wembley, when Kingsley Black headed in the equaliser.  All of you that were there know how that felt.  I think it was a young Eddie Howe who headed out for a corner that lead to our winner.  I have a lot of respect for him.  The journey home was also awesome.  I went into a boozer and some Bournemouth fans bought me a beer. Cars were honking their horn as I walked home  and the occupants were putting their thumbs up. The champagne went down a treat. Spent a fortune that weekend but worth every penny.

'kinell man, that's got to be the best weekend ever.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Yossarian
April 9, 2020, 12:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,076
Gold Stars: 18
Mayaman - great post and yes, I remember the first Wembley game thinking "I just want to see Town score".  I was right behind the goal when the ball went in - went fekin mental.  Such a great day out.  I remember I had to be at Heathrow the next day at 05:30 in the morning to check in for a flight to France for work.  I was stinking of booze.  No idea how I made it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Jackal
April 10, 2020, 1:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Being a lifer of a mariners fan I remember my teenage years watching the likes of Joe waters and crew.
We believed and the team regularly proved that on their day, that town team could take on anyone with our fabulous along the ground quality of football.
A very fond memory of mine was the home game against Everton.
My regular spot was in the pontoon but being a bit slow on the ticket purchase I was gutted to find I could only get a ticket for the corner between the Osmond and Barretts stand.
Oh how fortunate that ticket turned out. I had a fabulous view of Mick Brolly’s incredible skill at hitting the back of the net.
I still can remember the feelings of total elation that night.

Another less fond memory was watching town being put to the sword by the likes of Souness and McDermott at Anfield 5-0 .  But you know what, the town faithful showed their love of good football by giving Liverpool players an ovation for their sublime skill. They were awesome to watch.
I do remember after the fifth goal went in every town fan singing “up the mariners , we’re gonna win the cup one day”as loud as I’d ever heard.

One funny memory was again wolves in the second cup replay at Leicester.
Five of us had driven down and got parked close enough to walk the terraced streets to the ground.
About 100 yards ahead was a T junction and we heard some shouting.
We saw around 5 town fans run from right to left across the end of the junction  being quickly chased by around 25 Wolves fans.
It didn’t look good for the five,
Imagine our delight when we saw the 25 Wolves fans running back the way they came,  being chased by around 200 Grimsby fans.  Classic comedy.

Yes there has been a lot of sad times but so many fabulous memories of my team and the town faithful.
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 10, 2020, 9:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Not sure if anyone else on here would’ve been there, but remember town drawing 0-0 at the vetch, Swansea. A poor 0-0 fa cup draw (and a long journey there and back on Bernards bus).

But, what I remember, I think, was a game of footy at the front of the stand with a mannequins head! Totally bizarre

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
lee65
April 10, 2020, 9:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Yossarian
Mayaman - great post and yes, I remember the first Wembley game thinking "I just want to see Town score".  I was right behind the goal when the ball went in - went fekin mental.  Such a great day out.  I remember I had to be at Heathrow the next day at 05:30 in the morning to check in for a flight to France for work.  I was stinking of booze.  No idea how I made it.

I guess there will be lots of fans now who can’t even remember the shortish lived “Golden Goal” concept, but that made the Wayne Burnett moment even more special!
The other thing that sticks in my mind about that day is the Teams walking out of the tunnel to Oasis “Roll with it”  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Ipswin
April 10, 2020, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from lee65

I guess there will be lots of fans now who can’t even remember the shortish lived “Golden Goal” concept, but that made the Wayne Burnett moment even more special!
The other thing that sticks in my mind about that day is the Teams walking out of the tunnel to Oasis “Roll with it”  

Apart from Town's goals and the wonderful win, I remember missing the Bournemouth goal as we'd had so many beers before the game and I was queueing for the gents (lots of other Mariners had consumed a few too!) at first I thought I'd missed a Town goal as the roar from their fans was quite loud. I remember the bloody uncomfortable bench seats with no leg room.

My other memory is just how much we dominated Northampton in that second appearance, watched it on You Tube only the other day, I'd forgotten Alan Brazil was co-commentator on both Town appearances

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Abdul19
April 10, 2020, 10:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Yeah I watched the Northampton game not so long ago as well and we were so much better than them. They were fucking awful!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2020, 12:32am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It would have been a bloody travesty if Northampton had got a goal in that game. Still don’t know where referee Heilhitlerbron got 6 mi utes injury time from.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Random Town Thoughts....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.