Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town's Best Performance .
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Town's Best Performance .

This thread currently has 6,943 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
April 3, 2020, 11:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
I remember we absolutely battered Norwich 3-0 in an FA Cup game in the 90s at home when they were a division higher than us  - I remember thinking we were brilliant that day
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
norfuk mariner
April 3, 2020, 11:45am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
3rd Jan 1998. Live in Norwich and we were all due to travel to GY to watch. House caught fire and I spent day in hospital. Thankfully all safe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
HertsGTFC
April 3, 2020, 1:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Town 4 - Sheff Utd 0

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
gtfc82
April 3, 2020, 1:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Town 5-1 West Brom. Buckley up against West Brom, Groves looking for revenge. 4-0 up after a first half demolishing, including Groves smashing a penalty into a roof of the net!! Brilliant atmosphere, brilliant game!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
barralad
April 3, 2020, 2:04pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from gtfc82
Town 5-1 West Brom. Buckley up against West Brom, Groves looking for revenge. 4-0 up after a first half demolishing, including Groves smashing a penalty into a roof of the net!! Brilliant atmosphere, brilliant game!!

What made that game even better was the fact that I'm pretty sure those were our first goals of the league season. The game before I'd been at The Manor Ground Oxford (for a 0-0 draw) and the Town fans were singing "Let's pretend we've scored a goal".

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
barralad
April 3, 2020, 2:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
I took the initial post to mean the actual performance. There are loads of contenders.
One of my favourite performances was in the mid-90's v Middlesbrough. Their manager  (Bryan Robson) had been going on all week about the Borough needing to prove their promotion credentials by dealing with "the likes" of Town.
Come the day Town went for the jugular 2 up in the first 15 minutes or so and then a masterful defensive performancentre to close the game out at 2-1.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
Abdul19
April 3, 2020, 2:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from barralad

What made that game even better was the fact that I'm pretty sure those were our first goals of the league season. The game before I'd been at The Manor Ground Oxford (for a 0-0 draw) and the Town fans were singing "Let's pretend we've scored a goal".

First in open play (we'd scored 1 pen in 6 games!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
Abdul19
April 3, 2020, 2:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
The Ipswich game in 2002. Partly because it came out of nowhere. Three days earlier we'd been battered by Reading (that Pouton og) and it was one of only nine wins all season as we came rock bottom. But that night we were superb.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 3, 2020, 6:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from barralad
I took the initial post to mean the actual performance. There are loads of contenders.
One of my favourite performances was in the mid-90's v Middlesbrough. Their manager  (Bryan Robson) had been going on all week about the Borough needing to prove their promotion credentials by dealing with "the likes" of Town.
Come the day Town went for the jugular 2 up in the first 15 minutes or so and then a masterful defensive performancentre to close the game out at 2-1.

That was the first game I took my then 8 year old twin daughters to and not sure why but they were given a free Wagon Wheel each on entry so that and the result were two positives for them. But it was the first time I actually “heard” the foul language the majority of us use and on that day Clayton Blackmore was their left back having had some recent allegations of rape made against him a fact that the Upper Findus were not slow in pointing out. Of the twins one will still go if she’s in the area when there is a home match the other is still in counselling 😄😄😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
April 3, 2020, 7:39pm
Guest User
Most memorable for me coz I was a 10 year old mascot us v Blackburn Jan 12 1985 I'm pretty sure. Was old div 2 they were top we were 7th 1-1 draw they scored first and we equalised through Gary Lund who was just returning from England u21 duty. Nigel batch missed his first game in a gazillion years and Peter grotier was in goal ha. Keith hallet was ref Derek fazackerley was their captain making something like his 1000th appearance pitch was like a beach and kit made by hobbit?
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town's Best Performance .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.