Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Who have you met, and where?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Who have you met, and where?

This thread currently has 20,532 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Teesknees
March 22, 2020, 11:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
George Best at some memorial game for a Scunt at the Old Sow Ground in the early 80's, he was mingling in the committee room after the game... I'm not a Scunt, he seemed quite small up close!

Prince Charles on the Cotwold Canal at some visit he did there, we were a staged working practical event he went round and he said "What are you doing Groooting?" which translated from Inbred Royal to English meant "What are you doing grouting?"  He looked like his Spitting Image puppet close up, umless it was a Spitting Image puppet!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 133
grimsby pete
March 22, 2020, 1:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
There are a lot of famous people living in Suffolk film stars ,pop stars and tv personalities ,

Handy for London I guess , Arthur Fowler from EastEnders although only living about 5 miles from me I have never seen him.

Stupid boy Pike from Dads Army I have seen in Bury St Edmunds,

Too numerous to mention and I am terrible with names only remember their characters,

Anyway about 30 years ago we was at a village fete and the little one from hello hello was the star opening the fete, We were all waiting for some parachute people to land and for 10-15 minutes she stood next to my wife and I chatting and she took a shine to our granddaughter who was about 4 at the time holding her hand and being really nice.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 133
jaygy
March 22, 2020, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Back in the 1990's, used to live a few doors down from " Livvo ". It was on a small cul de sac so everyone sort of had to know each other. Steve was a great bloke, real down to  earth lad. His eldest son who would have been about 7yrs old at the time, used to come round our house as he was pals with my son, footy mad he was so I ended up taking him to watch his dad play. My Mrs and Livvo's Mrs, would go down Cleethorpes to play bingo ( big bingo hall near train station, bet it's flattened now?). Lovely family, shame Livvo had his back problem as when it was under control he was a great player. Then again, if it had been a problem he could have kept under control, he would no doubt still have been at Chelsea or the likes. Happy days.

He works for the same company as me up in Tees, not managed to meet him in person yet but he is held in very high regard by everyone in the company. I think football is a very sour point with him as he apparently doesn't like to talk about it. I'm not sure if it's anything to do with his time at town but I really hope he realises how much of a legend he is with Town fans and I always tell anyone that works with him to pass that message on to him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 133
Mayaman
March 22, 2020, 1:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
I met Jenny Eisenhower.  Although not famous herself, her old man was big at war.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 133
KingstonMariner
March 22, 2020, 2:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Met Ruud Van Nistelrooy in Maastrict in 1999. Had a few beers with him as he practiced his English just before he was due to sign for Man Utd. Felt his clicking knee, told him it was buggered but he claimed PSV said it would be fine.He got me and my mates tickets for PSV games. Top bloke to be fair and very grounded, head like a horse. He ended up tearing his ACL a day or two later in training. Anyway, he signed a beermat 'contract' to sign for town when he was 35. But he's 43 now the big snake.

Like your dedication to the cause! So 8 years ago he would have been 35. We’d have beaten Barnet in having a Dutch star on the books.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 133
KingstonMariner
March 22, 2020, 2:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mayaman
I met Jenny Eisenhower.  Although not famous herself, her old man was big at war.

You win. Unless one of the old fogies met Napoleon.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 133
grimsby pete
March 22, 2020, 3:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You win. Unless one of the old fogies met Napoleon.

I met Atilla the Hun but can not remember when.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 133
friskneymariner
March 22, 2020, 4:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Back in the sixties went on school trip to watch schoolboy  international at Wembley. On the way back  was on the Kings Cross -Cleethorpes train the whole team was on it having played Orient that day.Charlie Wright helped himself to my egg sandwich.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 133
Epworth Mariner
March 22, 2020, 6:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
I used to play ( all above board!,) with Dave Worthingtons son Gary .......he went in to be a good player. Lived in Beacon court in Cleethorpes.
I met Harry Wainman the other day at Beacon medical and we spoke about a game I went to at Workington......they had a player called Tony Gedmentis who I’m sure a Harry saved his penalty .......
I met Stuart Brace at his “company house” in Twyning place........and also John Macey at his house......autograph hunting!!
Keith Brown used to work with me at KP in Grimsby......he scored a beauty at the pontoon end once.....if you ever see him he will tell you all about it.....
Recently met Alan Woodward at Mansfield.......still supports town......

Memories.......lol.......

Then put the news on..........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 133
Badger57
March 22, 2020, 10:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Gary Childs, virtually every Saturday night in JD's!
😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
Oh, and Mike Lyons in Pier 39 who I asked to, "Get us out of this division." He promised he would. He kept his word. Just not the direction I was hoping for! 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Who have you met, and where?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.