Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 378,487 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
March 25, 2020, 7:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The thing that scares me is the comparison between the most seriously affected areas of Italy v Uk .... Bergamo population 125,000  ....London 8.9M . London is 71X the size of Bergamo . Do the maths in relation to %infection rates / death rates X population that are complete fuc.k wits and don’t seem to realise what’s coming .

No wonder Boris looks like he does now .

We're certainly suffering because London is so bloody large and so many commute to add to the numbers. Anyone know the figures for Bejing, Tokio, Rome etc? I haven't heard anything about the first two How did they handle it or did it simply not get to Bejing because of the early Wuhan lockdown? I understand New York is looking desperate too.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 700 - 3468
Maringer
March 25, 2020, 9:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
Quoted from GrimRob
We're creating money out of nothing but inflation is going to bite us hard in the long run. Many of us have seen our pension pots tanked and we'll have to work years longer than we might have otherwise done. Anyone who has bought a house recently is going to facing massive negative equity. But it all has to be done, no government can stand by and allow people to die just to prop up the financial system.

There won't be inflation. The money which will be put in is only replacing that which has disappeared as the economy has been progressively shut down. Anyway, as QE showed, you don't get inflation if there is still spare capacity in the economy. That's why we struggled to keep it near the 2% target during the austerity years.

You're right about the housing market and pension funds, however. Would be a crap time to retire if you had money invested in a private pension. I know my Dad was screwed over by the crash in 2008 - years of prudence but a crummy return due to gambling in the financial sector. The stock market was overvalued before this crash but I'd imagine it will bounce back a bit once the pandemic is finally dampened down.

The housing market probably will remain depressed but it was also overvalued. Quite a few properties will be coming onto the market, due to unfortunate circumstances - death and bankruptcy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 701 - 3468
ginnywings
March 25, 2020, 9:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,952
Gold Stars: 531
Quoted from Ipswin

A lot of the sparks, plumbers and chippies etc don't pay a lot of anything to HMRC not just tax but VAT etc as well and calculating profits when jobs have been done 'cash in hand' might prove rather difficult

A common misconception among the populace is that most tradesmen pocket all the cash they make and don't pay their taxes. Some do that, but the vast majority don't. I always declare everything and pay whatever i have to and most of the people i know in the trades do the same. A big chunk of the self employed builders sub contract on sites and the tax is deducted at source, so it's not that difficult to know what they are earning and how much tax they are paying. I get that it's more difficult to work out the who and what compared to the directly employed, but to expect people to go from earning a good living to existing on paltry state benefits is just wrong. The self employed always get looked upon with suspicion, find it harder to get loans and mortgages than others and are left to fend for themselves.

It won't affect me, but i know plenty of very worried, hard working tradesmen, who see no option but to carry on as long as they can, regardless of any lockdown.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 702 - 3468
promotion plaice
March 25, 2020, 11:21am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,952
Gold Stars: 188

Breaking news.......Prince Charles tests positive for Coronavirus and is displaying mild symptoms.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 703 - 3468
Ipswin
March 25, 2020, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from promotion plaice

Breaking news.......Prince Charles tests positive for Coronavirus and is displaying mild symptoms.

William is getting excited!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 704 - 3468
Les Brechin
March 25, 2020, 11:37am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,633
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from LH
So what we thought was pretty simple information to follow has been interpreted as people want it to and bosses are calling people in for work for unessential work. Meanwhile my job can’t decide if we’re essential or not so we still don’t know if we’re in tomorrow or not. Again we’re seeing the selfishness of the British public that will only prolong this crisis. Surely we can all agree that we want it over as soon as possible?

My boss has been very considerate in the matter. Although we closed the shop yesterday we continued to take telephone and web orders and were still delivering goods like fridges/freezers/cookers etc which you could argue are essential items but he has decided to close totally after this evening so that our delivery staff are not put at risk. No deliveries therefore mean no sales for the forseeable future which will obviously have a devastating affect on our sales figures.

Thankfully he has promised us full wages for the first month, in which time hopefully the rules will have been relaxed and we'll be able to open again.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 705 - 3468
TownSNAFU5
March 25, 2020, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
The Government might look after the NHS after this crisis. Evidence in the USA shows that money is made available for short-time medical crisis.   When the emergency is over the money is turned off to below minimum levels.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 706 - 3468
LH
March 25, 2020, 12:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from Ipswin

William is getting excited!

He’ll be rubbing his hands. With sanitiser.
Private Message
Reply: 707 - 3468
Chazzer
March 25, 2020, 12:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from LH
So what we thought was pretty simple information to follow has been interpreted as people want it to and bosses are calling people in for work for unessential work. Meanwhile my job can’t decide if we’re essential or not so we still don’t know if we’re in tomorrow or not. Again we’re seeing the selfishness of the British public that will only prolong this crisis. Surely we can all agree that we want it over as soon as possible?

It would be far easier if the government were clearer about this and announced a specific list of what's essential and state that all others must close regardless, if they're not on that list. Boris isn't being decisive enough at all and it's leading to confusion.

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 708 - 3468
Chazzer
March 25, 2020, 12:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The Coronavirus impact on the Olympics:

Neither the IOC or Japan wanted to postpone the Games unilaterally. If they did, they could have been sued for billions of pounds. It became a game of chicken.

The WHO did not say that the games should be postponed.  Thus putting them  at risk for all the contractual lawsuits. They were not playing the scapegoat role.

The WHO did say recently that the number of coronavirus was accelerating.  This was the key statement.

The IOC and Japan then jointly announced that the Olympics would be postponed until 2021. The reason given was that the WHO said that expert medical advice the coronavirus was accelerating. This statement was conveniently used as sufficient reason to delete the games. A very neat solution for the Games organisers.  Let legal experts find any holes in that!

I do think that any reasonable judge would throw a case out of court about suing anyone or organisation due to coronavirus cancellations.

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 709 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.