Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 382,936 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
June 26, 2020, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Stadium

I don't watch comedies

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 2890 - 3468
codcheeky
July 3, 2020, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
With the pubs re-opening  tomorrow and football on TV can we expect another rise in cases? One of the main reasons the government gave for allowing crowds to go to stadiums back in March was because it was much more likely that watching games in pubs and clubs would lead more COVID infections than watching them live.  Opening bars and clubs in America has proved a disaster and a lot of states have been forced to close them again.
Can we trust the U.K. Public to act sensibly with a few beers down them? I hope they do but I fear the worst
Private Message
Reply: 2891 - 3468
Stadium
July 3, 2020, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
You could sense the nervousness from the scientist's.
As it was stated local lockdowns are the way forward from now on.
Rancid Wetherspoon's breakfast at 06.00 anyone?

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2892 - 3468
LH
July 3, 2020, 10:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
The blame will lie purely with the scientists among many people as we’d been repeatedly told we’re “following the science”. Highly qualified people thrown under a bus so that Spoons can open. Don’t get me started on that girl private Johnson’s non answer about his father bending the rules about travel. Rules that Johnson Jr is overseeing being written.
Private Message
Reply: 2893 - 3468
Stadium
July 3, 2020, 10:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Tweet 1279120957031034884 will appear here...

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2894 - 3468
barralad
July 4, 2020, 9:15am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Stadium
Tweet 1279120957031034884 will appear here...

I have no faith in the great British public. This is not unconscious prejudice but based on my personal experience of simple attempts to negotiate the great outdoors since the restrictions started to be lifted.
However that chart conjures up some amazing conclusions about risk. It is also true that bars in Texas had no protective measures in place.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2895 - 3468
lew chaterleys lover
July 4, 2020, 9:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from codcheeky
With the pubs re-opening  tomorrow and football on TV can we expect another rise in cases? One of the main reasons the government gave for allowing crowds to go to stadiums back in March was because it was much more likely that watching games in pubs and clubs would lead more COVID infections than watching them live.  Opening bars and clubs in America has proved a disaster and a lot of states have been forced to close them again.
Can we trust the U.K. Public to act sensibly with a few beers down them? I hope they do but I fear the worst

The vast majority of the sensible law abiding public will stick to the new rules.  The media will of course focus on the few that do not.

There will inevitably be a rise in cases of coronavirus and that would be the case whenever and however we began lifting restrictions, unless you want the UK to be in permanent lockdown which is impractical and unenforceable.

Until a vaccine is found the onus is on individuals to accept the risk of going out anywhere- including football when it restarts.
Private Message
Reply: 2896 - 3468
cmackenzie4
July 4, 2020, 9:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I tend to agree with a lot of your posts Lew but to open the pubs at this moment in time is bizarre to say the least and a Saturday of all times, The amount of people I’ve seen not following guidelines here in Louth and in Skegness were I work has amazed me, as if people in drink are going to abide by the rules and conditions put in place, what about the poor bar staff, the emergency services etc, I think opening of pubs this early is asking for trouble.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2897 - 3468
barralad
July 4, 2020, 9:53am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121

The vast majority of the sensible law abiding public will stick to the new rules.  The media will of course focus on the few that do not.

There will inevitably be a rise in cases of coronavirus and that would be the case whenever and however we began lifting restrictions, unless you want the UK to be in permanent lockdown which is impractical and unenforceable.

Until a vaccine is found the onus is on individuals to accept the risk of going out anywhere- including football when it restarts.

I can actually agree with some of this but my experience is that in general people are unable to look at the wider picture. It is well known that younger people are less likely to become seriously ill from the virus. This factor alone changes some people's behaviour. I am forced to use public transport to get to places such as the hospital (now fully open again) for important post cancer appointments. Everyone who uses it knows that it is "compulsory" to wear face coverings on buses. People may also know that it is impossible legally to enforce that rule to the point where drivers cannot refuse to let non-conforming customers on. It is of course unfair to say this involves all young people but we have IMO developed this view best exampled by some younger people of "No-one is telling me what to do". I have witnessed two examples of this just this week both involving abuse of bus passengers for daring to ask the question.
Whilst there is this attitude older and more vulnerable people continue to be at risk to the point where they are prisoners in their own environment and for whom lifting of restrictions means bu**er all.
Unfortunately it is now akin to trying to put the genie back in the bottle. In hindsight we should have imposed far stricter lockdown  (in line with those in Greece, Italy and Spain to name a few). The populist slant of the current Government meant that this was never going to happen..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2898 - 3468
codcheeky
July 4, 2020, 9:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

I agree that the economy must reopen, however if there is a sharp rise because people “forget“ the rules after few beers then the whole economy will have to be locked down again.
The PMs family cannot follow the rules on travel so how can he ask others to be sensible? There is no clear advice on face masks and little if any enforcement of the rules, it’s hard to blame authorities for this because they are so vague and loopholes can be found by people like Cummings who don’t want them to apply to them.
The table of relative risk in one of the posts above is a good guide and the Government should have published something similar a while ago. Surely it would be more sensible to have a chart like this and slowly work through the list opening the least dangerous sectors first?  I would suggest opening pubs and bars should be at the bottom end of that list, along with travelling by plane and large event crowds and perhaps working towards the end of the summer holidays while having a concerted effort to really get infection rates down would be a better long term plan.
Private Message
Reply: 2899 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.