2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 2, 2020, 10:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Gregor Robertson was back in Grimsby last week and this is his article in today’s Times about the impact of Ollie.

Last Tuesday Ian Holloway got up at the crack of dawn to pay a visit to Grimsby’s bin men. He thanked them for their hard work in keeping the streets clean, for tackling fly-tipping in the area. He regaled them with one or two typically colourful stories, answered questions, mingled, posed for pictures. “You’ve got to have pride in where you live,” he told the Grimsby Telegraph. “I’d like to thank all the people who care, who make this such a great place to be.”

That evening, he led Grimsby Town to a buccaneering 4-2 victory against Newport County in Sky Bet League Two. It was a sixth win in 12: playoff form from a team that had won only five of their first 22 and, prior to Holloway’s arrival on New Year’s Eve, none since September. A thousand extra supporters have poured through the turnstiles at Blundell Park, as they have every week since his arrival. From 21st they have risen to 14th. Not even Saturday’s 3-0 defeat by playoff chasing Northampton Town could deflate the buoyant Mariners.

And what a fascinating union this is. Manager. Ambassador. Investor. The 56-year-old has bought £100,000 worth of shares, about 4 per cent of the club, and has a seat on the board. He has relocated with his wife Kim from the south west to the remote east. He told council staff at the Doughty Road depot on Tuesday morning that he has never felt as at home as he does in northeast Lincolnshire. There have been visits to charity shops, to schools to hand out tickets, a college to address students. There was even a tale on Saturday of Holloway telling someone to pick up litter in the street.

“I know what I want to do and I know why I want to do it,” says Holloway, who has spoken of “lost livelihoods,” of “investing in the people of Grimsby”. “It’s gonna take a while. But it’s about passion. I want to create something people enjoy whether they win, lose or draw. That’s absolutely vital. I’m part a game that gives you all these emotions. There’s nothing quite like it.

“The aim is to try and get up the divisions, then try to build a better team, try and get a new ground, try and help the people of the area have something to be really, really proud of — because I think they deserve it.”

Many in Grimsby can’t quite believe he is here. Holloway had been out of work for 19 months after spells at Millwall and Queens Park Rangers. He led Crystal Palace to the Premier League in 2013 but it is his success with Blackpool — another club in a neglected coastal town whom he led to the Premier League in 2009-10, that kindles hope of rejuvenation in Grimsby.

John Fenty, the majority shareholder, referenced that “track record of achieving success at unfashionable, underperforming clubs” after a deal was ironed out over fish and chips in Papa’s, a restaurant on Cleethorpes Pier. “I do not believe any manager in the whole of English football suits Grimsby Town as well as Ian Holloway,” Fenty said. “He is building something special and it feels like we are on the cusp of a magical period for the football club and wider community.”

What also feels inescapable is that there is something about the marriage which captures the political zeitgeist. Grimsby, where 70 per cent voted to leave the EU in 2016 and where a Conservative MP has just been elected for the first time in 74 years, expects investment, regeneration, a brighter future. It is hoped that the club’s relocation from the evocative but archaic Blundell Park, their home of 121 years, as part of proposed regeneration of Freeman Street in the town centre, will be a part of that.

Fenty, who is also deputy leader of North East Lincolnshire Council, has spoken of a “lack of political support” in previous attempts to relocate. But now, he says, there is a “very, very supportive Government wanting to support the northern towns”. “We are hugely optimistic,” he added, and it will be intriguing to see the extent to which the proposed new community stadium will be publicly funded.

Holloway’s arrival feels like part of a wider vision to make Grimsby Great Again. The appointment of his predecessor, Michael Jolley, a Cambridge graduate and former Burnley under-23 coach, was heralded as a step into a “modern, cutting-edge” future. Two years later, however, they have reverted to a charismatic, totemic leader. “He will have more freedom and autonomy to shape on-the-field matters than any other manager within the English Football League,” Fenty said. In an era of directors of football and head coaches, Holloway said: “This is old fashioned, and I absolutely love it.”

Saturday’s defeat by Northampton was a reminder that Holloway still has plenty of work to do.

Grimsby are a club that quickly gets under your skin. Their supporters put the fan in fanatical. The sound of the Mariners’ one word chant, “Fish!”, reverberating around Wembley Stadium during the 2016 National League playoff final — my final game in professional football — will live with me forever. Supporters had raised £100,000 to fund the signing of striker Omar Bogle after defeat by Bristol Rovers on penalties in the same final a year earlier, so there was something poetic about Bogle’s two goals against Forest Green Rovers sealing a return to the Football League after a six-year exile. The football club is an enormous part of people’s lives in Grimsby.

Saturday was a reminder, however, that this is a long-term project. “We huffed and puffed, but they certainly blew our house over, didn’t they?” Holloway said, before admitting that six changes to Tuesday’s winning team may have been too many.

Yet, hope blossoms. “Football is so wonderful that no matter where you start, no one can tell you where you’re going to end up,” Holloway said. “That’s all in your hands. And I can’t wait to keep trying to build. Without a fanbase, without supporters, without people enjoying coming to the game, and enjoying the way you’re trying to play, it’ll die out eventually. You won’t even bother turning the telly on if it goes to pay per view.

“And if you get too far away from the lads who are wearing the shirt, you definitely won’t want to do it. So at this level, where I am, right now, I’m loving every minute of it. The passion … it’s all marvellous, in a way.”

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
grimsby pete
March 2, 2020, 10:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Thanks for that RRFC  very good read.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
lew chaterleys lover
March 2, 2020, 10:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Gregor Robertson was back in Grimsby last week and this is his article in today’s Times about the impact of Ollie.

Last Tuesday Ian Holloway got up at the crack of dawn to pay a visit to Grimsby’s bin men. He thanked them for their hard work in keeping the streets clean, for tackling fly-tipping in the area. He regaled them with one or two typically colourful stories, answered questions, mingled, posed for pictures. “You’ve got to have pride in where you live,” he told the Grimsby Telegraph. “I’d like to thank all the people who care, who make this such a great place to be.”

That evening, he led Grimsby Town to a buccaneering 4-2 victory against Newport County in Sky Bet League Two. It was a sixth win in 12: playoff form from a team that had won only five of their first 22 and, prior to Holloway’s arrival on New Year’s Eve, none since September. A thousand extra supporters have poured through the turnstiles at Blundell Park, as they have every week since his arrival. From 21st they have risen to 14th. Not even Saturday’s 3-0 defeat by playoff chasing Northampton Town could deflate the buoyant Mariners.

And what a fascinating union this is. Manager. Ambassador. Investor. The 56-year-old has bought £100,000 worth of shares, about 4 per cent of the club, and has a seat on the board. He has relocated with his wife Kim from the south west to the remote east. He told council staff at the Doughty Road depot on Tuesday morning that he has never felt as at home as he does in northeast Lincolnshire. There have been visits to charity shops, to schools to hand out tickets, a college to address students. There was even a tale on Saturday of Holloway telling someone to pick up litter in the street.

“I know what I want to do and I know why I want to do it,” says Holloway, who has spoken of “lost livelihoods,” of “investing in the people of Grimsby”. “It’s gonna take a while. But it’s about passion. I want to create something people enjoy whether they win, lose or draw. That’s absolutely vital. I’m part a game that gives you all these emotions. There’s nothing quite like it.

“The aim is to try and get up the divisions, then try to build a better team, try and get a new ground, try and help the people of the area have something to be really, really proud of — because I think they deserve it.”

Many in Grimsby can’t quite believe he is here. Holloway had been out of work for 19 months after spells at Millwall and Queens Park Rangers. He led Crystal Palace to the Premier League in 2013 but it is his success with Blackpool — another club in a neglected coastal town whom he led to the Premier League in 2009-10, that kindles hope of rejuvenation in Grimsby.

John Fenty, the majority shareholder, referenced that “track record of achieving success at unfashionable, underperforming clubs” after a deal was ironed out over fish and chips in Papa’s, a restaurant on Cleethorpes Pier. “I do not believe any manager in the whole of English football suits Grimsby Town as well as Ian Holloway,” Fenty said. “He is building something special and it feels like we are on the cusp of a magical period for the football club and wider community.”

What also feels inescapable is that there is something about the marriage which captures the political zeitgeist. Grimsby, where 70 per cent voted to leave the EU in 2016 and where a Conservative MP has just been elected for the first time in 74 years, expects investment, regeneration, a brighter future. It is hoped that the club’s relocation from the evocative but archaic Blundell Park, their home of 121 years, as part of proposed regeneration of Freeman Street in the town centre, will be a part of that.

Fenty, who is also deputy leader of North East Lincolnshire Council, has spoken of a “lack of political support” in previous attempts to relocate. But now, he says, there is a “very, very supportive Government wanting to support the northern towns”. “We are hugely optimistic,” he added, and it will be intriguing to see the extent to which the proposed new community stadium will be publicly funded.

Holloway’s arrival feels like part of a wider vision to make Grimsby Great Again. The appointment of his predecessor, Michael Jolley, a Cambridge graduate and former Burnley under-23 coach, was heralded as a step into a “modern, cutting-edge” future. Two years later, however, they have reverted to a charismatic, totemic leader. “He will have more freedom and autonomy to shape on-the-field matters than any other manager within the English Football League,” Fenty said. In an era of directors of football and head coaches, Holloway said: “This is old fashioned, and I absolutely love it.”

Saturday’s defeat by Northampton was a reminder that Holloway still has plenty of work to do.

Grimsby are a club that quickly gets under your skin. Their supporters put the fan in fanatical. The sound of the Mariners’ one word chant, “Fish!”, reverberating around Wembley Stadium during the 2016 National League playoff final — my final game in professional football — will live with me forever. Supporters had raised £100,000 to fund the signing of striker Omar Bogle after defeat by Bristol Rovers on penalties in the same final a year earlier, so there was something poetic about Bogle’s two goals against Forest Green Rovers sealing a return to the Football League after a six-year exile. The football club is an enormous part of people’s lives in Grimsby.

Saturday was a reminder, however, that this is a long-term project. “We huffed and puffed, but they certainly blew our house over, didn’t they?” Holloway said, before admitting that six changes to Tuesday’s winning team may have been too many.

Yet, hope blossoms. “Football is so wonderful that no matter where you start, no one can tell you where you’re going to end up,” Holloway said. “That’s all in your hands. And I can’t wait to keep trying to build. Without a fanbase, without supporters, without people enjoying coming to the game, and enjoying the way you’re trying to play, it’ll die out eventually. You won’t even bother turning the telly on if it goes to pay per view.

“And if you get too far away from the lads who are wearing the shirt, you definitely won’t want to do it. So at this level, where I am, right now, I’m loving every minute of it. The passion … it’s all marvellous, in a way.”

Great stuff. Cheers RRFC.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
mariner83
March 2, 2020, 10:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Thanks for sharing TRRFC
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
ex-merseymariner
March 2, 2020, 11:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Was Gregor at Saturday's match; I thought I bumped into him at the back of the Main Stand at 2.40ish, but couldn't place who it was at the time!?!?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Perkins
March 2, 2020, 11:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
As well as being one of my own favourite players during that last season in non league, and being a thoroughly nice guy, he is also an exceptionally good journalist.
Unlike other sports writers he doesnt concentrate on the over glamourised Premier League Clubs, but  concentrates mainly on the lower leagues, and all his articles are a joy to read. His articles are on his website https://gregor-robertson.com/category/my-work/
I dont buy the Times myself but a mate who does always keeps me Gregors articles.  Thanks for posting the article,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
devs
March 2, 2020, 5:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Spot on!

Quoted from Perkins
As well as being one of my own favourite players during that last season in non league, and being a thoroughly nice guy, he is also an exceptionally good journalist.
Unlike other sports writers he doesnt concentrate on the over glamourised Premier League Clubs, but  concentrates mainly on the lower leagues, and all his articles are a joy to read. His articles are on his website https://gregor-robertson.com/category/my-work/
I dont buy the Times myself but a mate who does always keeps me Gregors articles.  Thanks for posting the article,

I love this section

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
KingstonMariner
March 2, 2020, 9:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Very enjoyable read. Good subject. Well written.

Gregor to write the book of the story of our resurgence. Later to be made into a film.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
sydney
March 2, 2020, 10:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3

Enjoyed that
Cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Manchester Mariner
March 28, 2020, 9:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Another top article from Gregor today talking to Mark Crossley about coming out of football and how he relieves subsequent mental health battles.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....9baeac3f08de1acb10da

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gregor on Ollie

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.