Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Just back (merged)

This thread currently has 15,424 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
March 1, 2020, 7:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from hampshiremariner

Hi Abdul

Yes, I agree we were superior to Northampton in 1998 but that is why I said they suffered from hubris. Despite the fact we had a better team, those fans still thought they would have no problem beating Town. They looked down their noses at us!

The last match of 2005-2006 saw us at home v Northampton and we were vying for an automatic promotion place with Leyton Orient. We were leading 1-0 and in pole position to go up automatically. Then at the death it all dramatically changed. Northampton scored an equaliser and seconds later Orient scored which saw them clinch automatic promotion. We were condemned to the play-offs. Beat Lincoln in the po semi-final and lost to Cheltenham in the final. It was a very controversial end to the season for us with stories about Slade negotiating a deal (allegedly) with Yeovil (I think) in the lead in to the final. Had we gone up that season we might have been saved a lot of suffering as we continued to slide downwards towards the Conference.

That was the key. That made our result irrelevant.

Thinking back to 98 though, yes, their fans were nobs

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
friskneymariner
March 1, 2020, 7:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
But if Goodfellow had scored that open goal goal when we played Orient away when we drew 0-0 they would not have been in that position.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
Maringer
March 1, 2020, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
For that game back in 2006, I never expected us to win automatic promotion that day. That chance had gone in the previous few results. Orient were always going to win that game as their opponents (forget who it was) had absolutely nothing to play for.

After we fought our way through the play-offs, I thought we'd do it, but we just bottled it in Cardiff on the day. As soon as Reddy went off it was obvious we'd struggle and I seem to recall we had a nailed on penalty waved away as well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
marinerjase
March 1, 2020, 9:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Blatant pen - Andy Parkinson brought down in box

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2020, 9:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Maringer
For that game back in 2006, I never expected us to win automatic promotion that day. That chance had gone in the previous few results. Orient were always going to win that game as their opponents (forget who it was) had absolutely nothing to play for.

After we fought our way through the play-offs, I thought we'd do it, but we just bottled it in Cardiff on the day. As soon as Reddy went off it was obvious we'd struggle and I seem to recall we had a nailed on penalty waved away as well?

Orient were playing Oxford who had everything to play for. Needed a win to stay in the football league which is why they were throwing people forward at 2-2 in the last minute - a draw was no good to either of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
Abdul19
March 1, 2020, 10:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from friskneymariner
But if Goodfellow had scored that open goal goal when we played Orient away when we drew 0-0 they would not have been in that position.

Exactly. Marc Goodfellow stopped us going up, not Northampton!

(He did score one of the most emphatic GTFC pens I can remember though, 2 days beforehand (in another game where we dropped points))

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
hampshiremariner
March 1, 2020, 10:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
What happened to Reddy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Maringer
March 1, 2020, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Orient were playing Oxford who had everything to play for. Needed a win to stay in the football league which is why they were throwing people forward at 2-2 in the last minute - a draw was no good to either of them.

Ah, that was it. Oxford were going to have to go for it and weren't likely to be up to the task. I just remember not expecting to go up automatically in any case so I wasn't particularly upset on the day when we failed to win.

Reddy's dodgy hip went on that day and it all but marked the end of his career. A real shame because he was one hell of a threat when in full flow.

Says it all that the winner was a scuffed cross which bounced its way in. I seem to remember that Rob Jones was pretty poor on the day as well - weren't there rumours that he'd already arranged a move elsewhere as well as Slade? A good while ago now so I could just be imagining it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Maringer
March 1, 2020, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Flipping heck, just looked at the League table from that season. Clubs in League Two (not including the relegated Rushden) include Darlo, Boston, Wrexham, Stockport, Barnet, Chester, Notts County, Torquay and Bury! Just goes to show how many 'new' clubs have found their way into the League since then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
March 2, 2020, 12:37am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Went to both 98 Wembley finals with my missus, found a place to park for the first one ( Bournemouth), parked at the wrong end of Wembley for us, and walked both wearing Town tops, not a problem. Bit of banter off the Bournemouth fans as we walked to our end, but all fine and what you would consider acceptable for a " Husband and Wife ", we were hardly The " Cleethorpes Beach Patrol ". Few weeks later, parked in the same place V Northampton and what a difference. We got a load of quite intimidating abuse as we walked to Towns end, appalling behaviour for the threat level ( just the 2 of us ), wish I had the CBP with me that day, what a bunch of noobs the Northampton lot were. But still we won, so happy days. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.