Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

This thread currently has 24,565 views. Print
19 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 All Recommend Thread
chicaneuk
February 26, 2020, 9:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/february/club-statement---john-fenty/

No doubt this will be celebrated by some. For me whilst he's divided opinion (and certainly he's done some questionable things over the years) he has kept the ship fairly steady in otherwise difficult times for a lot of clubs. Thanks for all your hard work John.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
February 26, 2020, 9:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 508
all the best John
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 181
Croxton
February 26, 2020, 9:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
This goes some way towards avoiding conflict of interests issues with the Freemo project and possibly may tempt further outside share interest?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 181
ginnywings
February 26, 2020, 9:31am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Thank you for all your efforts John. We fans didn't always see eye to eye with you but you were always approachable and tried to explain the reasons for your decisions. It didn't happen on the pitch during your reign, so hopefully it can happen off it and you can be instrumental in getting us a new ground.

Good luck in your new role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 181
supertown
February 26, 2020, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Stepping back but continuing to finance shortfalls. Amazing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 181
BenBB
February 26, 2020, 9:38am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +866
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted Text
The Board has signed off on our largest playing budget for next season at this level

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 181
Fishy clapper
February 26, 2020, 9:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Good move for all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
But I won’t sell because I still want the strangle hold...and someone who has been part of the current regime (the overarching problem) will be taking charge.

Could help but who knows.

I suspect this is more to do with conflict of interest etc and wanting to get the stadium over the line...or even at a place where we have something other than a Roy of the Rovers type drawing...

Does this increase the feel good factor or take away from a decent result last night?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 10:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,548
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from aldi_01
But I won’t sell because I still want the strangle hold...and someone who has been part of the current regime (the overarching problem) will be taking charge.

I suspect this is more to do with conflict of interest etc and wanting to get the stadium over the line...or even at a place where we have something other than a Roy of the Rovers type drawing...

Does this increase the feel good factor or take away from a decent result last night?

I imagine there will be lots going on in the background we are yet unaware of.

That sounds to me that Ollie wants to take the club forward off the pitch and being a clever chap will have a plan to do that.

We need new investment so perhaps Ollie will be the catalyst for that.

Interesting times ahead.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 181
grimps
February 26, 2020, 10:29am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01

Probably a bit of both .
I feel he’s be waiting for a long time to leave the club in a decent position , this is probably as happy as we’ve been for 12 years so it’s as good a time as any for him to step down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 181
dapperz fun pub
February 26, 2020, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
He’s sort of done this before hasn’t he ???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
He’s sort of done this before hasn’t he ???

You mean he resigned from his role as chairman but remained as majority shareholder, enduring he literally couldn’t be removed unless he decided to sell...and every rejoiced...

Yep...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 181
scrumble
February 26, 2020, 10:41am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Croxton
This goes some way towards avoiding conflict of interests

I hope he isn't doing it fir that because it won't work. The last time a council vote was required over the Great Coates site anyone who had been to see town play in the previous 5 years was barred from the discussion due to "conflict of interest".

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 181
Bigdog
February 26, 2020, 10:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

I imagine there will be lots going on in the background we are yet unaware of.

That sounds to me that Ollie wants to take the club forward off the pitch and being a clever chap will have a plan to do that.

We need new investment so perhaps Ollie will be the catalyst for that.

Interesting times ahead.

My thoughts too.

Nothing much legally or financially has changed really at the club except for JF on a personal level realising the difficulty of dividing his time between two important roles. A good time for him to "leave but not leave" while the club is on the up and probably at potentially its highest point on the pitch under his tenure. Possibly a bit too early for eulogies yet knowing how things have ebbed and flowed during his journey with GTFC. As seen on Twitter #gtfc.. we must be the first football club ever to have a Non Non Chairman. And unfortunately it solves nothing when it comes to conflict of interest regarding the new stadium as he remains the club's largest creditor and shareholder. It matters not a jot whether he's there daily or not when it comes to funding of public money. That square is still yet to be circled.

Always admired his dogged and generous commitment to the club while being frustrated with his results on and off the pitch. This isn't the end of JF and GTFC but it could be the beginning of the end. Definitely time for new blood on the board and fresh ideas.. hopefully IH has got one or two plans up his sleeve..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 181
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 26, 2020, 10:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I would think the issues over the new ground will have had much to do with the decision. The addition of Ollie to the club has come along as a catalyst as well just at the right time.

Life as a fan with JF running the club has always been a roller coaster and very often we have found ourselves on opposite sides of the fence, certainly in terms of manager recruitment. But nobody could every doubt JF's commitment to saving the club from the fate of the likes of Bury or his support as a Mariner.

Though I don't know JF as a person, I do wish him all the best, not least because his best will be the club's best bet for getting that new stadium. If it does happen I for one will not begrudge him one drop of praise.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 181
louth_in_the_south
February 26, 2020, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
You’d imagine that on IH’s travels around the football world he’ll have made friends with many backers of football clubs who may just be sniffing around .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 11:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You’d imagine that on IH’s travels around the football world he’ll have made friends with many backers of football clubs who may just be sniffing around .

The Oyston’s?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

My thoughts too.

Nothing much legally or financially has changed really at the club except for JF on a personal level realising the difficulty of dividing his time between two important roles. A good time for him to "leave but not leave" while the club is on the up and probably at potentially its highest point on the pitch under his tenure. Possibly a bit too early for eulogies yet knowing how things have ebbed and flowed during his journey with GTFC. As seen on Twitter #gtfc.. we must be the first football club ever to have a Non Non Chairman. And unfortunately it solves nothing when it comes to conflict of interest regarding the new stadium as he remains the club's largest creditor and shareholder. It matters not a jot whether he's there daily or not when it comes to funding of public money. That square is still to be circled.

Always admired his dogged and generous commitment to the club while being frustrated with his results on and off the pitch. This isn't the end of JF and GTFC but it could be the beginning of the end. Definitely time for new blood on the board and fresh ideas.. maybe IH has got one or two ideas up his sleeve..

Indeed.  The Fenty era is slowly coming to an end so it seems. It is like he weaning himself off the thing that has taken hold of his life and no one can begrudge him that.

I am far more excited about the part of the statement that gives the impression that Ollie will be the man to take the club forward.  I am hoping it is not just players who are queuing up to play for him but also professionals in terms of expertise and investment .

I guess this is part of the reason for Ollie's PR drive - to take the town as a whole with him as he seeks to rebuild the club. Great stuff and how we all deserve to look forward to a brighter future.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 11:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I agree Bigdog. It does nothing to end the conflict of interest issue - he still owns the club so could still benefit from any decision he takes in council that affects the club.

Still, the role he has on the council is a demanding job so I can understand it from that point of view. I hope for the sake of people in NE Lincs he makes a better job of that than he has at the football club.

It’s a step in the right direction though. He’ll be less involved in running the club. He did his best but.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 181
jock dock tower
February 26, 2020, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Perhaps this enduring saga is now moving on to the next stage.

Perhaps, this was always the scenario when Ian Holloway came to the club (with the potential of new backers?) giving JF a period to oversee the new appointment until someone else came in?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it all?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 181
golfer
February 26, 2020, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Thankyou  J.S.F.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 181
pizzzza
February 26, 2020, 11:15am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
This sounds to me like progress on the stadium front (I hope). JF would not relinquish control while maintaining his majority shareholding without a very good reason. I guess that could be related to conflict of interest, etc and his council role.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 11:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I agree Bigdog. It does nothing to end the conflict of interest issue - he still owns the club so could still benefit from any decision he takes in council that affects the club.

Still, the role he has on the council is a demanding job so I can understand it from that point of view. I hope for the sake of people in NE Lincs he makes a better job of that than he has at the football club.

It’s a step in the right direction though. He’ll be less involved in running the club. He did his best but.....

He couldn’t figure out the coffee machine the other day so...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 11:20am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

He couldn’t figure out the coffee machine the other day so...

Those things can be unnecessarily complicated though. 😕

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 181
promotion plaice
February 26, 2020, 11:38am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

Who's going to change the light bulbs now?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 181
crusty ole pie
February 26, 2020, 11:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from promotion plaice

Who's going to change the light bulbs now?

The new bulbs last 10 years
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 181
AdamHaddock
February 26, 2020, 11:46am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Days out

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 181
heppy88
February 26, 2020, 11:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
I’m sure this has nothing to do with the stadium development. John Fenty will always be regarded as a conflict of interest with regards to planning etc whether as a non-chairman, non non chairman or plain ole supporter.
Personally, I believe the role of deputy leader and his associated responsibilities is too much together with his GTFC and family responsibilities. I guess something had to give.
But for those of you who feel a glimmer of excitement, hope or relief nothing much has changed and as dapperz pointed out he's made similar claims before.
His tenure has been frustrating at best, although the club appear financially stable. He states the club will be making the clubs largest investment (at this level) on new players during the close season. I wonder how much of this was his decision and how much he was in agreement? Personally, I think Ian Holloway has tipped the balance of power on the board, Fenty realising THIS has led him to step back.
Interesting times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 181
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 26, 2020, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,990
Gold Stars: 285
Hmm, I'm always conflicted about Fenty. There's no doubt he kept us afloat financially when it might have been easier to go to the wall and we have to be grateful for that.

But, under his 'leadership' we have been to the lowest point the club has ever known. He's made some poor decisions about managers (Newell, Bignot) that looked to have been driven by money (or lack of it) and his sheer bloody mindedness has been difficult to get round. His PR is awful as well, he often threw his toys out of the pram when the general consensus didn't agree with him - big fish in a small pond.

And he remains the largest shareholder - he has the final yes or no.

I'd like to say that I'm pleased to see him go, but he hasn't.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 181
lukeo
February 26, 2020, 12:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from chicaneuk
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/february/club-statement---john-fenty/

No doubt this will be celebrated by some. For me whilst he's divided opinion (and certainly he's done some questionable things over the years) he has kept the ship fairly steady in otherwise difficult times for a lot of clubs. Thanks for all your hard work John.

Have to agree with you. Thank you John. Noone is perfect, noone gets everything right but you're a true fan of GTFC and that we cannot fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 181
diehardmariner
February 26, 2020, 12:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
Initially I was a bit miffed about his comments regards underpinning financial shortfalls and supporting the Trust, but the more interesting part is about how the budget for next season has already been agreed.

Two ways of looking at it - largest ever at this level.  Whilst we could think it's a big push for next season, it could also be very much along the lines of when the club promote how many season tickets they've sold in a monetary value, i.e a game of smoke and mirrors.  Just with any increase in inflation, wages, costs....things cost more year-on-year.  A striker we may have got for £800 a week in 2016 is now worth £850 a week.  

I'm not sure either way, I just found it interesting if we've already set it.  
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 181
ska face
February 26, 2020, 1:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,364
Gold Stars: 824
If the budget’s already been set they must have some target for season tickets to be sold. It’ll be interesting to hear (perhaps tonight, hint hint) if they’ve been ambitious with it or if they’re just going off 3k again.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 181
Les Brechin
February 26, 2020, 1:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Yeah, what was the name of that nice family at Blackpool when he was there?  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 181
diehardmariner
February 26, 2020, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from ska face
If the budget’s already been set they must have some target for season tickets to be sold. It’ll be interesting to hear (perhaps tonight, hint hint) if they’ve been ambitious with it or if they’re just going off 3k again.

Exactly!

If only there was a way of selling season tickets now, therefore absolutely guaranteeing your income for them and allowing you to set a budget accordingly.   Then using any additional sales to top up said budget.  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 181
hheh2
February 26, 2020, 1:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Largest playing budget next season we've had with Ollie at the helm (literally)

Poojah's fishy

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 181
MarshMariner
February 26, 2020, 2:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Perhaps next seasons budget was discussed and agreed during initial negotiations with Ollie...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 181
FishOutOfWater
February 26, 2020, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Hmm, I'm always conflicted about Fenty. There's no doubt he kept us afloat financially when it might have been easier to go to the wall and we have to be grateful for that.

But, under his 'leadership' we have been to the lowest point the club has ever known. He's made some poor decisions about managers (Newell, Bignot) that looked to have been driven by money (or lack of it) and his sheer bloody mindedness has been difficult to get round. His PR is awful as well, he often threw his toys out of the pram when the general consensus didn't agree with him - big fish in a small pond.

And he remains the largest shareholder - he has the final yes or no.

I'd like to say that I'm pleased to see him go, but he hasn't.

My thoughts too

If we'd have secured that promotion under Slade then maybe his tenure at the club might have been totally different but from the moment we failed at Cardiff, the club seemed to go on a downward spiral and JF seemingly wanted total control but had neither the vision or maybe the finance to address the ensuing decline

We were in the doldrums for some time before our relegation and while we managed to get back in to the league, it was as much good luck as it was good judgement

If we're now heading towards a brighter future under IH then I'll happily accept that JF deserves some credit for his appointment and if in time he can manage to claim back some of his "investment" ( I use the term loosely ) then so be it but I'm not forgetting that only two months ago we were still drifting aimlessly towards non-league again.

Today's news is just glossing over what has gone before.... I'm prepared to look forward to him having less day-to-day input but wonder just how much control he's actually relinquishing

Onwards and upwards anyway.... we're on the march with Ollies Army!

UTM ATAW GTID

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 181
Gaffer58
February 26, 2020, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
I would assume Mr Fenty had to decide between running GTFC every day or the council every day, it appears the council have won, although some opposition politicians may not think that. It’s good that he will cover any losses if they occur, at least that in theory takes that headache away from those running the club. My thought is, do we now have a chairman who represents us at league functions etc, and if Ollie is to be doing more directorial duties I hope his footballing side will not be harmed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 181
Civvy at last
February 26, 2020, 2:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
It seems a bit of a mixed bag for me, but generally a positive I believe.
I'm glad that we are in a position that JF can back off a bit. Not exactly with head held high, but not hounded out as such.
I don't do this     'so and so is a right girl private'  oh, I've just heard he's passed away  'well he was alright really I suppose'
So I'm struggling to say something too nice. However, I do believe he tried his best, but just couldn't get the running of a football club.   Especially towards the end when he had definitely lost the fan base. So I guess that IH could not only be the saviour of the club, but maybe that of Johns sanity as well.  I would still like to see another director (preferably a fresh face) join the club as I'm not entirely sure that Messr's Day and Marley are equipped to run it accordingly.
The 'biggest budget' is a very ambiguous statement.  It could be £10 more than this years for all we know, but I do doubt that.  It's too early to judge, but performances on the field (our PR base   ) should help initial season ticket sales/renewals.  And quality signings should see even more.

As a long standing Town fan, I am always full of hope that 'next season' will bring us the rewards that the fans deserve.
And recent events have done nothing to change that.

UTM

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2020, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
As a long term critic of the board and Mr Fenty, I'm not going to be so shallow as some on here have been. In his favour, he kept the club afloat when maybe administration would have been the easy option and has always had the cojones to front up when others might not have done.

I'm delighted that Mr Day is now at the front of the board because the others (Chapman & Marley) fill me with dread and also that a budget is set for next season albeit it would seem a tad premature prior to ST sales. I also totally see the necessity for Mr Fenty to commit to either club or council (interestingly he's up for re-election this year) and hope that this enables him to assist in whatever's necessary to push the stadium relocation.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 181
golfer
February 26, 2020, 3:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Olly spotted in " Snobs of Regent street " purchasing 2piece white tie dress suit for his 1st board meeting -didn't want a hat ,said he'd make do with his usual
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 181
Garth
February 26, 2020, 3:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
No bad words to say regarding JSF, he kept a tight ship when needed and suffered dogs abuse on here regularly.
His choice of managers have been good to poor ala Man United, decisions that IMO that were swayed and influenced too much by one individual on the board namely JSF.
We now hopefully have found another Shankly, McMenemy, Buckley, Kerr etc in Ollie in which JSF played a leading part, for that at least we should award him Brownie points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 181
mimma
February 26, 2020, 3:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
I'd just like to clear up some of the points made on here about conflict of interest  and JF on the council.

When the Great Coates debacle was underway, councillors who were season ticket holders were barred from any discussions or votes about the new stadium. Just going to half the games in a season was enough to be barred.

Therefore just because Fenty has stepped back from the board he will still be barred from anything to do with the planning application in any way. Even discussing it with councillors would be a breach and could leave Fenty in serious trouble in law.

So him stepping back will not affect his influence on anything to do with the planning application.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 181
golfer
February 26, 2020, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Can't see it . Every Arsenal councillor is a season ticket holder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 181
ska face
February 26, 2020, 4:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Therefore just because Fenty has stepped back from the board he will still be barred from anything to do with the planning application in any way. Even discussing it with councillors would be a breach and could leave Fenty in serious trouble in law.

I’m not sure how the Portfolio Holder for Regeneration is going to be removed from everything to do with one of the biggest regeneration schemes the town’s ever seen...
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
I'd just like to clear up some of the points made on here about conflict of interest  and JF on the council.

When the Great Coates debacle was underway, councillors who were season ticket holders were barred from any discussions or votes about the new stadium. Just going to half the games in a season was enough to be barred.

So him stepping back will not affect his influence on anything to do with the planning application.

I have never defended Fenty before, but what else can he do? It is what it is; he is the largest shareholder and has a seat on the council and neither of them can be changed overnight.

This is too big for the whole town to allow petty things like this to derail it before it's even begun isn't it?
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 181
TAGG
February 26, 2020, 4:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
Boooo
Who can I blame now??????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2020, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
Boooo
Who can I blame now??????

Swin.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 6:04pm
Meths Drinker

I have never defended Fenty before, but what else can he do? It is what it is; he is the largest shareholder and has a seat on the council and neither of them can be changed overnight.

This is too big for the whole town to allow petty things like this to derail it before it's even begun isn't it?

It's not petty though is it. Suppose Fenty has a say in a decision affecting the new ground (PP or even public funding), you'll open the doors to challenges along the lines that he would benefit personally. That could then hold up or derail the decision through appeals, referrals to the minister, judicial review or whatever.

Stepping away from the day-to-day running of the club won't make any difference to the fact he is the major shareholder of the club. Whilst he is there is a potentially a conflict of interest. Until that changes the only thing that would avoid it is stepping back from his council role.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 181
ginnywings
February 26, 2020, 6:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Will he now have to buy a season ticket like the rest of us?  

Seriously though, with regards to the budget being set already, i don't think it will be dependent on a certain amount of ST's  being sold. They know we will sell at least 3000 and hopefully more and by bringing in better players, who will be better managed, the match day footfall through the turnstiles will increase if we are at the right end of the table, so it's a bit of speculating to accumulate going on i would think.

Regarding the conflict of interest, maybe there is more going on behind the scenes and JF will eventually be bought out by person or persons unknown at this time.

Anyway, just speculation at this stage. It'll all become clear in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 181
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 26, 2020, 6:44pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
Our 'biggest budget' at this level eh? The problem is that out of that budget has to come new contracts for quite a few of the Town players who are out of contract at the end of the season. If Ollie is to retain all of his best players with new or better contracts, I very much doubt that will leave much of the 'biggest budget' for new players.

Players out of contract will be

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

...and Chaz with an option of another year.  

Theres some big names there who are now performing week after week and will command a decent amount, especially if they want various clauses writing into their new contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 181
ginnywings
February 26, 2020, 7:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Our 'biggest budget' at this level eh? The problem is that out of that budget has to come new contracts for quite a few of the Town players who are out of contract at the end of the season. If Ollie is to retain all of his best players with new or better contracts, I very much doubt that will leave much of the 'biggest budget' for new players.

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

Theres some big names there who are now performing week after week and will command a decent amount, especially if they want various clauses writing into their new contracts.

That doesn't make any sense. If we can afford them now, we can afford them with a bigger budget, not to mention players going out will allow for players coming in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 181
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 26, 2020, 7:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,513
Gold Stars: 64

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

Why? A number of that list will be released, some will be offered new terms which may or may not include an increased salary. I understand that a number of the players brought in were on very good salaries, Ogbu was one and I think getting him, probably Green and Ohman May also free up some extra spends. Plus to quote IH a number of the guys who wanted to follow him here were not interested in the money, so time will tell but listening to his interview last night he seems a very determined guy who will not be afraid to release players he doesn’t feel will be good enough.

Hopefully exciting times ahead.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 181
moosey_club
February 26, 2020, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from diehardmariner

Exactly!

If only there was a way of selling season tickets now, therefore absolutely guaranteeing your income for them and allowing you to set a budget accordingly.   Then using any additional sales to top up said budget.  

Have you fell off your cloud over there in cuckoo land ?  Sell season tickets before the current season hasn't anywhere near finished yet ??  Dont allow supporters to cool off over the summer and completely forget the feel good factor IH is bringing up, the lined exercise books to record sales in arent even in the sale at WH Smiths yet .....and imagine if we made it into the play offs and actually got promoted but had already sold some season tickets for next season without being able to add the promotion tally to the pricing, we would have to contact all buyers and ask for an extra £25-£50 because we unexpectedly became better than we imagined and if it was such a good idea to future sell surely other clubs would be doing just that already.....

i have heard some crazy ideas in my time but you take the biscuit ......

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 181
rancido
February 26, 2020, 7:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92

It's not petty though is it. Suppose Fenty has a say in a decision affecting the new ground (PP or even public funding), you'll open the doors to challenges along the lines that he would benefit personally. That could then hold up or derail the decision through appeals, referrals to the minister, judicial review or whatever.

Stepping away from the day-to-day running of the club won't make any difference to the fact he is the major shareholder of the club. Whilst he is there is a potentially a conflict of interest. Until that changes the only thing that would avoid it is stepping back from his council role.

Because of his declared interest in GTFC (as the major shareholder and as a director) then he will not be be allowed to be involved in any council discussions or decisions regarding the proposed new ground.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 8:04pm
Whiskey Drinker

He is not going to step away from the council or GTFC in time is he?

Surely no actual involvement in the process or a vote at council meetings would be sufficient otherwise we might as well call the whole thing off.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 8:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Because of his declared interest in GTFC (as the major shareholder and as a director) then he will not be be allowed to be involved in any council discussions or decisions regarding the proposed new ground.

That would be the logical thing. But what’s the point of stepping away from the club day to day then?! He said he’s stepping away from day to day involvement in the club because of the conflict of interest. That just doesn’t make sense. Not that I mind him stepping away from the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker

That would be the logical thing. But what’s the point of stepping away from the club day to day then?! He said he’s stepping away from day to day involvement in the club because of the conflict of interest. That just doesn’t make sense. Not that I mind him stepping away from the club.

May be honest John has realised that his ridiculous suggestion that someone buy the club yet allow him/current board to run the club and then a false promise of further investment opportunity and taking over of control was simply that...ridiculous.

So if that’s an idea John has, allowing his old mate take the reins whilst he makes his way in the world of local politics gives him the best of both. Still ultimately remains in control at the club whilst also feathering his own political nest.

For me little has changed. Time will tell but it’s not like he hasn’t done this before...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 181
GollyGTFC
February 26, 2020, 9:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
When I started supporting Town (1992) if you had told me that I'd see Town play in 2 FA Trophy Final & 4 consecutive Conference Play-off campaigns including 2 Finals and promotion to the Football League I wouldn't have believed you. We have John Fenty to thank for all of that. Without him it wouldn't have happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2020, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
When I started supporting Town (1992) if you had told me that I'd see Town play in 2 FA Trophy Final & 4 consecutive Conference Play-off campaigns including 2 Finals and promotion to the Football League I wouldn't have believed you. We have John Fenty to thank for all of that. Without him it wouldn't have happened.

When we beat the likes of Wolves and Sunderland?
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 181
moosey_club
February 26, 2020, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yes.
We may have just been tottering about in mid table obscurity in the Championship,  League 1, League 2 and never have even been eligible for the FA Trophy in the first place without his efforts.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 181
headingly_mariner
February 26, 2020, 9:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Does anyone really think the big decisions will be made by anybody else?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 181
Marinerz93
February 26, 2020, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters
As a long term critic of the board and Mr Fenty, I'm not going to be so shallow as some on here have been. In his favour, he kept the club afloat when maybe administration would have been the easy option and has always had the cojones to front up when others might not have done.

I'm delighted that Mr Day is now at the front of the board because the others (Chapman & Marley) fill me with dread and also that a budget is set for next season albeit it would seem a tad premature prior to ST sales. I also totally see the necessity for Mr Fenty to commit to either club or council (interestingly he's up for re-election this year) and hope that this enables him to assist in whatever's necessary to push the stadium relocation.

I've been a critic of JF in the past but to say some are being shallow is a bit unfair. There are pro's and cons to JF's tenure but surely you will agree that the last few months the club has been moving in a really positive direction, JF has played a huge part in that.

JF stepping down may be a link in that chain of positivity so I would welcome any action that stands us in a better place, onwards and upwards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 181
Davec
February 26, 2020, 9:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I am going to miss his cliches and Fentyisms

"When all is said and done"

"Tickled pink"

"Hauled us over the coals"

"Poppycock"

"Kick the cat"

"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

Can anybody think of anymore?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 9:43pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Davec
I am going to miss his cliches and Fentyisms

"When all is said and done"

"Tickled pink"

"Hauled us over the coals"

"Poppycock"

"Kick the cat"

"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

Can anybody think of anymore?

Football fortune

Dribble (meaning drivel)

Going forward

In the building

What about the orange

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 181
Abdul19
February 26, 2020, 9:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214

What about the orange

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 9:48pm
Meths Drinker
Has anyone found out what that was about?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 181
Fishy clapper
February 26, 2020, 9:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Ducks in a row

Punch drunk

Gimme that flag
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 9:52pm
Meths Drinker
Devalue the product

Fcuk off! (OK may have only said that once at Accy)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 9:53pm
Meths Drinker
And not forgetting tyre kickers

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 181
Abdul19
February 26, 2020, 9:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Has anyone found out what that was about?

Was it something to do with Slade having orange juice poured over his head?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 10:00pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Was it something to do with Slade having orange juice poured over his head?

An Essex tan?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 181
Vance Warner
February 26, 2020, 10:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Still bemoaning our lack of ‘football fortune’ and not for one minute considering it’s linked to his dreadful leadership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 181
grimsby pete
February 26, 2020, 10:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Hairs on the back of my neck.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Has the word ‘pilloried’ been used yet?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 181
grimsby pete
February 26, 2020, 10:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I have not always seen the to the with John but I do know he has the club at heart.

Long term I can see Ollie taken over and being manager\ chairman.

That would only be a good thing in my eyes .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2020, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have not always seen the to the with John but I do know he has the club at heart.

Yep, a modern day Barry Fry would be 😢
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 181
forza ivano
February 26, 2020, 10:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,141
Gold Stars: 265
We do our P.R. on the pitch

He was /is the John Prescott of football club owners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Genuine question, but what makes you think Holloway being the manager/board member leading things will be a success?

I know it’s about being optimistic but I’m curious as to why people think Holloway will naturally be a success...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 181
RonMariner
February 27, 2020, 12:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from aldi_01

Genuine question, but what makes you think Holloway being the manager/board member leading things will be a success?

I know it’s about being optimistic but I’m curious as to why people think Holloway will naturally be a success...

Nothing is guaranteed. Of course not. However, having the club run on and off the pitch by a guy who has twice got teams promoted to the Premiership has to make success more likely. I can't remember when we last had a manager who had that kind of pedigree.   Ollie clearly has the knowledge to build successful teams, and at a much higher level than L2. He also seems to be well connected. Look at the players he has already brought in.  

We have gone from not winning for three months, and not scoring for 7 games, to where we are now, Clocking up goals and wins. This has been achieved in a few short week. So the way results have turned round so quickly is grounds for optimism as to what Ollie might achieve in time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 181
RonMariner
February 27, 2020, 12:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,011
Gold Stars: 216
I am speculating that this JF move was probably agreed as part of the negotiations to bring Ollie here.

Ollie has said he wants to be part of building something and to leave a lasting legacy. Being given an opportunity to shape the club on and off the pitch might have been a significant factor in his decision to move here, and might also explain why he put some of his own cash into the club. He had to, in order to secure a place on the board to be in a position to take over day to day running of the club.

Sounds like he is now both manager and Director of Football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 181
February 27, 2020, 8:42am
Guest User
Quoted from RonMariner
I am speculating that this JF move was probably agreed as part of the negotiations to bring Ollie here.

Ollie has said he wants to be part of building something and to leave a lasting legacy. Being given an opportunity to shape the club on and off the pitch might have been a significant factor in his decision to move here, and might also explain why he put some of his own cash into the club. He had to, in order to secure a place on the board to be in a position to take over day to day running of the club.

Sounds like he is now both manager and Director of Football.

With Anthony Limbrick to step up when/if Ollie thinks it's right (possibly)?
Reply: 81 - 181
February 27, 2020, 10:10am
Guest User

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

My guess is that those to go MAY be Whitehouse, Cook, Rose, Green and Cardwell.  Just saying!

Reply: 82 - 181
Garth
February 27, 2020, 10:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from 123614

My guess is that those to go MAY be Whitehouse, Cook, Rose, Green and Cardwell.  Just saying!

Strange that an improved Whitehouse is usually first choice in his position when Ollie picks his team??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 181
rancido
February 27, 2020, 10:27am

Vodka Drinker

There have been legal precedents set in this area of "conflict of interests", a compulsory purchase order of houses surrounding a proposed expansion of Anfield several years ago springs to mind.
I have read the full statement, as printed in the GET, and nowhere does it mention that he is "stepping away from day to day involvement in the club because of the conflict of interest". He does however say that "Becoming the Deputy Leader for North East Lincolnshire Council has added complications and time constraints". This is not the same as a "conflict of interest" as regards council decision making. In fact because of his high profile as the major GTFC shareholder then any involvement he had in discussions or decisions involving the new ground would immediately be flagged up by the opposition councilors and challenged.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 181
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 27, 2020, 10:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
He said last night it was due to conflict of interest

Nolans 7 principles of conflict of interest he kept saying

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 181
oochiad
February 27, 2020, 10:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Whitehouse has been superb, why on earth would we want to get rid?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 181
February 27, 2020, 11:11am
Guest User
Quoted from Garth

Strange that an improved Whitehouse is usually first choice in his position when Ollie picks his team??

But will he be when Hess is fit again?

Reply: 87 - 181
aldi_01
February 27, 2020, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker

Which Nolan though? Coleen? Jon? Kevin?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 181
rancido
February 27, 2020, 11:51am

Vodka Drinker

Correct but Nolans 7 principles apply to anybody in public office and would prevents them from using their role in public administration to further their personal business sphere. It would still exclude him from any public office decisions that could be seen to be beneficial to his personal or business life.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 181
pen penfras
February 27, 2020, 12:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

But will he be when Hess is fit again?

Unless Hessenthaler has suddenly learnt how to pass the ball forwards, then I can see him going out in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2020, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

I wonder if he would have been had we been able to keep Robson.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 181
oochiad
February 27, 2020, 12:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Whitehouse has been much more effective than Robson in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 181
toontown
February 27, 2020, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,158
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from pen penfras

Unless Hessenthaler has suddenly learnt how to pass the ball forwards, then I can see him going out in the summer.

My own thoughts are that Whitehouse has improveddramatically under Ollie. Hess's way of playing may well not suit Ollie's team. He is very slow of thought and cautious playing forward, often resulting in him going backwards. So from being one of our best and most consistent players it wouldn't surprise me if he struggles to regain his place, although not writing him off, he may adapt . Under jolley he looked excellent.

Under jolley whitehouse looked poor though. Just shows how things can change quickly depending on management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 27, 2020, 2:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

There have been legal precedents set in this area of "conflict of interests", a compulsory purchase order of houses surrounding a proposed expansion of Anfield several years ago springs to mind.
I have read the full statement, as printed in the GET, and nowhere does it mention that he is "stepping away from day to day involvement in the club because of the conflict of interest". He does however say that "Becoming the Deputy Leader for North East Lincolnshire Council has added complications and time constraints". This is not the same as a "conflict of interest" as regards council decision making. In fact because of his high profile as the major GTFC shareholder then any involvement he had in discussions or decisions involving the new ground would immediately be flagged up by the opposition councilors and challenged.

I suggest you read the man’s own words in the transcript of last night’s meeting published in the Grim Tel.

The time constraints thing is an issue that stepping back helps with. But the statement he made about conflicts of interest is a typical Fenty muddled communication.

Plus ça change.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 181
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 27, 2020, 6:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,513
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from toontown

My own thoughts are that Whitehouse has improveddramatically under Ollie. Hess's way of playing may well not suit Ollie's team. He is very slow of thought and cautious playing forward, often resulting in him going backwards. So from being one of our best and most consistent players it wouldn't surprise me if he struggles to regain his place, although not writing him off, he may adapt . Under jolley he looked excellent.

Under jolley whitehouse looked poor though. Just shows how things can change quickly depending on management.

Think we probably expected too much from Whitehouse after his year long injury and he was maybe not mentally and physically fit until the late Autumn, that said and agreed he has been better I feel it’s still a position we can strengthen. IMO Robson in that role would be an asset as he was really starting to show his true worth in those last few games he was with us.

As for Hess was he playing to instructions ? He always looks a decent player and who knows what he could produce given the more adventurous approach now being played. Midfield is much better but to get in those promotion places next season it will need to improve further still.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 181
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2020, 6:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think we probably expected too much from Whitehouse after his year long injury and he was maybe not mentally and physically fit until the late Autumn, that said and agreed he has been better I feel it’s still a position we can strengthen. IMO Robson in that role would be an asset as he was really starting to show his true worth in those last few games he was with us.

As for Hess was he playing to instructions ? He always looks a decent player and who knows what he could produce given the more adventurous approach now being played. Midfield is much better but to get in those promotion places next season it will need to improve further still.

I think you are right about playing to instructions. The whole midfield was so reluctant to get in front of the ball that this must have been a Jolley plan. How many times did we see the ball passed down the line only for it is be passed back and back until possession was lost. Hess was definitely a victim of this policy but he has not had the chance to really show he can be more creative. I’d guess IH will want to see him play a bit before deciding.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 181
Marinerz93
February 27, 2020, 10:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Has anyone mentioned, In the building or fishy 5 in the Fenty bingo

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 181
blundellpork
February 27, 2020, 11:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 32
Consummate the deal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 28, 2020, 12:47am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
Has anyone mentioned, In the building or fishy 5 in the Fenty bingo

I had ‘in the building’ but not ‘the Fishy five’

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 181
fishboyUTM
February 28, 2020, 6:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from GollyGTFC

FA Trophy finals, play off campaigns (at non league level)  

I feel for you, if you consider this success. I'm 43 and grew up watching second tier football, occasional successive relegations then back up the leagues again. Personally I was hugely embarassed to be taking part in the FA Trophy, I went to both finals and didn't really care if we won or not. Put your comments up against 97/98 when we won at Wembley twice! The Auto Windscreens was the first proper trophy I'd ever seen us win, and even thinking back now, to see us at Wembley, my eyes well up. Only a few weeks later and an immediate return to what is now the Championship, and all you've had is this excrement, six years of hell, no pretty much 20 years of hell.

You're right in what you say. Without John Fenty, it wouldn't have happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 7:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
I'll ask all the Fenty bashers one question.....
If he hadn't bailed the club out when he did what would have happened to the club?...
We had a tax bill knocking on the doorstep of £1m pound and the HMRC were breathing down our neck in readiness to foreclose the business.
There was nobody else out there ready to dip there hands in their pockets then Fenty stepped up and put his money where his mouth was.
So, since then he's made some pretty large faux Pas and not exactly took the club forward, in his own words "the football club had become stale", but he's kept putting the cash in and we've still had a club to follow.
Say what you like about the 6 years in non league, they were dark days but I'd take that over doing a Bury which is the path we were on.
We, as fans, the paying audience, obviously expect better because of our proud history, our glory days, recent spells flirting with the top of the championship but footballs moved on massively since those days, the money within the game has grown exponentially and sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and accept we are what we are. A club that was on the brink of going out of business.
Is Holloway the saviour that can bring those glory days back, I don't know, but what I do know is that we still have a club to support and for that I thank the board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 7:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Probably have done what so many did and enter administration, agree some really flimsy deal with HMRC and still be operating.

This ‘saviour’ business is and always has worn thin, much like Fenty trotting our ITV digital or whatever other excuses he’s used along the way for imposing austerity on the club and seeing us enter the abyss.

Asking the question of what would’ve happened is pointless because we will never know. Much like asking the question of whether or Holloway will suddenly make us better than bottom half...we simply don’t know.

It’s great being unique though and having a non non chairman...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 8:33am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Probably have done what so many did and enter administration, agree some really flimsy deal with HMRC and still be operating.

This ‘saviour’ business is and always has worn thin, much like Fenty trotting our ITV digital or whatever other excuses he’s used along the way for imposing austerity on the club and seeing us enter the abyss.

Asking the question of what would’ve happened is pointless because we will never know. Much like asking the question of whether or Holloway will suddenly make us better than bottom half...we simply don’t know.

You say asking the question "what would have happened is pointless because we'll never know". This is a fair point but you opened your post with "probably entered administration and still be operating" but we will never know if we'd come out of administration and still be operating. You can't have it both ways. Yes, many clubs have succeeded after administration but a lot haven't. The ones that have mostly seem to be ones that had more "financial appeal" or better assets ie grounds and infrastructure. I don't think the gamble of us going into administration at the time was worth the risk but, like you say, we'll never know.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 8:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
But they didn’t at the time, many had ageing stadiums and debts far worse than ours. Look at Rotherham, they were in a mess, ended up borrowing a ground and the likes...no more sellable than us.

Since our current administration has been in control the phrase ‘devalue the product’ has been used to within an inch of its life yet the regime can’t see the irony in such a statement.

Simple fact is, nothing has changed really. We had a non chairman, we’ve now got a non chairman twice removed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 181
Maringer
February 28, 2020, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Regarding Whitehouse, I've been surprised how technically capable he has shown himself to be since our style of play has changed under Holloway. He tended to be a bit of a disappointment when we were more kick and rush but he's done much better with the passing and movement.

However, I also think Hessenthaler is a good footballer with the ball at his feet, though not as forward thinking. Assuming that Benson isn't with us next season, Hessenthaler would be a good player for the slightly deeper defensive role. Who knows who will be with us after the summer, though?

It will be interesting to see where Grandin tends to play. He's looked classy keeping possession but I was expecting somebody who was more of an attacking midfielder when he signed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 181
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 28, 2020, 1:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Quoted from Maringer
Regarding Whitehouse, I've been surprised how technically capable he has shown himself to be since our style of play has changed under Holloway. He tended to be a bit of a disappointment when we were more kick and rush but he's done much better with the passing and movement.

However, I also think Hessenthaler is a good footballer with the ball at his feet, though not as forward thinking. Assuming that Benson isn't with us next season, Hessenthaler would be a good player for the slightly deeper defensive role. Who knows who will be with us after the summer, though?

It will be interesting to see where Grandin tends to play. He's looked classy keeping possession but I was expecting somebody who was more of an attacking midfielder when he signed?

I think a big part of the whole upturn for GTFC is a massive increase in morale and positivity throughout the players, all brought in by Ollie and his charisma. Regarding all of his post match comments, win or lose, he always has something positive to say, which surely must help the players massively. To suddenly be given a feeling of self belief, rather than having negatives thrown around the media, or even no comments at all, will always have a big positive for the team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 181
TheRealJohnLewis
February 28, 2020, 1:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
If he hadn't bailed the club out when he did what would have happened to the club?...
We had a tax bill knocking on the doorstep of £1m pound and the HMRC were breathing down our neck in readiness to foreclose the business.
There was nobody else out there ready to dip there hands in their pockets then Fenty stepped up and put his money where his mouth was.
So, since then he's made some pretty large faux Pas and not exactly took the club forward, in his own words "the football club had become stale", but he's kept putting the cash in and we've still had a club to follow.
Say what you like about the 6 years in non league, they were dark days but I'd take that over doing a Bury which is the path we were on.
We, as fans, the paying audience, obviously expect better because of our proud history, our glory days, recent spells flirting with the top of the championship but footballs moved on massively since those days, the money within the game has grown exponentially and sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and accept we are what we are. A club that was on the brink of going out of business.
Is Holloway the saviour that can bring those glory days back, I don't know, but what I do know is that we still have a club to support and for that I thank the board.

I'll happily consider myself a "Fenty Basher" as to me that means holding him to account, so I'll bite a the ridiculous question and your flimsy grasp on reality. This reminds me of the saying "My keys were in the last place I looked!" Of course, it was the last place you looked as you are not going to keep on looking.  The same goes for taking control of the club when the ITV digital struck, we don't know whether someone else would have come in should Fenty not have wished to take it forward. How many clubs actually went out of business never to be seen again because of ITV digital? He has "kept" putting money in, he hasn't put any in for years now!

So he's got 20 years of free entry and hospitality into every single Town game, and it's not cost him a penny, he's even made money out of the club due to the Trust shares that he bullied out of them.  

We are not Bury so you can not compare our situation to theirs, That's like saying Ian Huntley wasn't so bad because Hitler was worse!

I am not prepared to take 20 years of Fenty's shite he has served up "on the chin" we as fans deserved better than being treated as maggots and scum by JF.  I will never EVER be happy with being a lower Lg2/Conference Team.

Private Message
Reply: 107 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I think you'll find he's been taking a fair bit out lately.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 181
Southwark Mariner
February 28, 2020, 2:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from aldi_01

NonChairception...a non Chairman within a non Chairman....will that be enough to get us a new stadium?

No....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 181
TownSNAFU5
February 28, 2020, 4:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I try to take a reasonable and pragmatic view on life  (although with GTFC emotion impacts as well).

Given the choice of having John Fenty in charge or “any other random option”, then I would have chosen the latter.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 5:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I'll happily consider myself a "Fenty Basher" as to me that means holding him to account, so I'll bite a the ridiculous question and your flimsy grasp on reality. This reminds me of the saying "My keys were in the last place I looked!" Of course, it was the last place you looked as you are not going to keep on looking.  The same goes for taking control of the club when the ITV digital struck, we don't know whether someone else would have come in should Fenty not have wished to take it forward. How many clubs actually went out of business never to be seen again because of ITV digital? He has "kept" putting money in, he hasn't put any in for years now!

So he's got 20 years of free entry and hospitality into every single Town game, and it's not cost him a penny, he's even made money out of the club due to the Trust shares that he bullied out of them.  

We are not Bury so you can not compare our situation to theirs, That's like saying Ian Huntley wasn't so bad because Hitler was worse!

I am not prepared to take 20 years of Fenty's shite he has served up "on the chin" we as fans deserved better than being treated as maggots and scum by JF.  I will never EVER be happy with being a lower Lg2/Conference Team.

Well my friend you need to wake up and smell the coffee...the days you yearn for are long gone, the reality of where we are is not all Fentys fault....it's the way world of football and our location, downturn in local industry, the local economy suffering dire consequences and no big yin chucking his money at our club....live you're life in the past, thinking town deserve better because of history, but ultimately the club represents the state of the town. Down on its luck and has been for more years than I care to remember...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 5:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

That is complete bollo*!! So what have you done to secure the future or indeed help to maintain the everyday running of our club, apart from attending games?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2020, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker

Well my friend you need to wake up and smell the coffee...the days you yearn for are long gone, the reality of where we are is not all Fentys fault....it's the way world of football and our location, downturn in local industry, the local economy suffering dire consequences and no big yin chucking his money at our club....live you're life in the past, thinking town deserve better because of history, but ultimately the club represents the state of the town. Down on its luck and has been for more years than I care to remember...

That sounds like the 70's 80's and 90's when we were doing pretty well for long periods!

With great leadership any business can adapt to a different climate and thrive. We never had the leadership and didn't adapt. We spent a lot of the Fenty era chasing a dream and spent too little time on practicalities.

He thought at the time he was doing the right thing which is fair enough but it didn't work out.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 28, 2020, 5:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

John never wanted anyone else helping out. It weakens his control. We’ve seen that with Mike Parker, the arm-twisting of the Trust to give up shares, the lottery guy, Operation Promotion, so-called “tyre kickers”.

I’ll believe he’s stepping back when I see it. Since the announcement on Tuesday he’s appeared at the fans’ forum. Hardly stepping back. But it’s early days, so we’ll see what happens in the coming months.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 181
Les Brechin
February 28, 2020, 5:45pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
The list of football clubs that have entered adminstration over the years is staggering. I never realised there had been so many.

Bradford City      1983
Charlton Athletic      February 1984
Middlesbrough      21 May 1986
Tranmere Rovers      1987
Newport County      1989
Walsall      1990
Northampton Town      1992
Kettering Town      1992
Aldershot      1992
Maidstone United      1992
Hartlepool United      1994
Barnet      1994
Exeter City      1994
Gillingham      1995
Doncaster Rovers      1997
Millwall      21 January 1997
Bournemouth      1997
Crystal Palace      1998
Chester City      October 1998
Portsmouth      1998
Hull City      7 February 2001
Queens Park Rangers      2 April 2001
Halifax Town      9 April 2002
Bradford City      16 May 2002
Notts County      June 2002
Barnsley      3 October 2002
Leicester City      21 October 2002
Port Vale      16 December 2002
York City      18 December 2002
Derby County      20 October 2003
Ipswich Town]      10 February 2003
Wimbledon      5 June 2003
Darlington      23 December 2003
Bradford City      27 February 2004
Wrexham      3 December 2004
Cambridge United      29 April 2005
Rotherham United      13 May 2006
Crawley Town      5 June 2006
Boston United      25 April 2007
Leeds United      4 May 2007
Luton Town      22 November 2007
Bournemouth      8 February 2008
Rotherham United      18 March 2008
Halifax Town      26 March 2008
Darlington      25 February 2009
Southampton      2 April 2009
Stockport County      30 April 2009
Chester City      17 May 2009
Northwich Victoria      15 May 2009
Farsley Celtic      30 June 2009
Salisbury City      3 September 2009
Weymouth      28 October 2009
Crystal Palace      26 January 2010
Portsmouth      26 February 2010
Plymouth Argyle      4 March 2011
Rushden and Diamonds      7 July 2011
Darlington      3 January 2012
Portsmouth      17 February 2012
Port Vale      9 March 2012
Coventry City      21 March 2013
Aldershot Town      2 May 2013
Bolton Wanderers      13 May 2019
Bury      18 July 2019

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 28, 2020, 5:52pm
Meths Drinker
The vast majority are above us in the League (especially excluding the likes of Salisbury, Weymouth and other non-League clubs, or clubs that only have a shallow Football League history).

So next time someone says “we should be grateful we’re not Bury”, show em that list.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker

John never wanted anyone else helping out. It weakens his control. We’ve seen that with Mike Parker, the arm-twisting of the Trust to give up shares, the lottery guy, Operation Promotion, so-called “tyre kickers”.

I’ll believe he’s stepping back when I see it. Since the announcement on Tuesday he’s appeared at the fans’ forum. Hardly stepping back. But it’s early days, so we’ll see what happens in the coming months.

This 100%.

He’s just letting a puppet run the show whilst controlling said puppet.

He won’t step back, he’s said all this before. Absolute codswallop, all of it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
The vast majority are above us in the League (especially excluding the likes of Salisbury, Weymouth and other non-League clubs, or clubs that only have a shallow Football League history).

So next time someone says “we should be grateful we’re not Bury”, show em that list.

And when someone shows me that administration would have worked for us I'll shut me trap...90% of that list are clubs in areas that have had major regeneration or are close to areas of influence and success....yes, Fenty has enjoyed his power trip but at the time when we needed saving from the grasp of the HMRC there was hardly a queue of money men knocking down the door at BP....so yes, I'll say it again....I'm glad we're not a sad sack case a la Bury...give me Fenty and his bunch of yes men over Mr Dale every day of the week.  
BTW....I'm not all Pro Fenty, he has his faults and has made f@ck ups along the way, but haven't we all!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 6:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Agreed...and flipping cryarsing about itv digital and whatever excuse he’s peddled is balderdash. The ones on there that stand out as being similar type clubs didn’t go bust because of those reason, but because the fit and proper rules are a joke and despot leaders...Darlo, Chester, Bury.

The rest seemed to do alright. I mean, excellent, we didn’t go bust (no evidence to say we would) but the imposed austerity on the club and severe lack of investment saw ya drop out of the league.

But perhaps people only focus on that as a way to judge John. I mean the list of actual member ups and embarrassing moments along the way is a huge contributing factor but we’ll forget Tampon/smoke bombs, breaking a flag, holding fans in contempt, slagging off OP, the car park tapes, Marley’s ‘do you know who I am? Shut up!’ Moment...I mean the list is endless...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 6:05pm

Vodka Drinker

25 out of that list of 63 are non league and some of the league ones have appeared more than once! Hardly definitive proof that administration guarantees a resurgence.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 6:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I wonder what impact administration had on suppliers to those clubs, particularly small local ones. I'm no big JF fan but if you're suggesting it would've been better if we'd just gone into administration then I would disagree with that and would hope the fact we've at least paid our debts over the years should be something we can take some pride in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 6:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

25 out of that list of 63 are non league and some of the league ones have appeared more than once! Hardly definitive proof that administration guarantees a resurgence.

But doesn’t suggest you’ll end up dead and buried...we all know the reasons why Chester, Bury and Darlo went bust...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 6:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

But doesn’t suggest you’ll end up dead and buried...we all know the reasons why Chester, Bury and Darlo went bust...

But it doesn't suggest you'll come out smelling of roses either! It's a gamble and not always calculated either.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 181
Meza
February 28, 2020, 6:31pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50

its definitely had an affect, and of course didn't help when get relegated into non league.  I always thought the town was twinned with the club in someway, when I started going 88-89 I was growing up into a new era the music was different (Oasis) the was a buzz about the 90's.  Even I've wished we could go back to good days of when I remember town playing well, but I cant only pictures, articles and videos can help me with that and of course my memories.  We do need to start looking forward and not back otherwise it creates negativity.  I've always thought we have some fans that want to go back to the times they can remember success and that they are stuck in their ways as they say, but we are all fans of the same club.  I respect the fans that have been to far more matches than me and seen really old games of Town, quite jealous actually but only because back in the old days the crowds were much bigger, but those days are gone, now its time to rise again.  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 6:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

OK aldi, it's your decision. You are in JF's position and have full details of the club's financial situation. You are also are a major shareholder in the club. Do you advise administration or loan the club money to avoid that. No cop out because it's someone else's decision - what would you do bearing in mind that the whole future and existence of GTFC is at stake?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 181
jock dock tower
February 28, 2020, 7:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from rancido

Although six (or seven) of those clubs have gone on to play Premiership football.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower

Although six (or seven) of those clubs have gone on to play Premiership football.

Sorry jock, I need to be a pedant..it's premier League... premiership is for those north of the border, as you should well know...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 181
ska face
February 28, 2020, 8:14pm

Vodka Drinker
I’m not sure how many times this needs going over, especially to the same people, but the issue is less about the £600,000 loan from Five Star Fish and more the decisions and behaviour over 15 years that saw the debt increase to £3million and turn us into a Lower league also-ran (plus 6 years in non-league playing the likes of Coalville).
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face
I’m not sure how many times this needs going over, especially to the same people, but the issue is less about the £600,000 loan from Five Star Fish and more the decisions and behaviour over 15 years that saw the debt increase to £3million and turn us into a Lower league also-ran (plus 6 years in non-league playing the likes of Coalville).

And what's the other options we had available to us??...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 181
ska face
February 28, 2020, 8:21pm

Vodka Drinker
You what?

What other options were there over the last 15 years that wouldn’t have put us in the position we’re in today?
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face
You what?

What other options were there over the last 15 years that wouldn’t have put us in the position we’re in today?

You tell me..because I've seen nobody offer to take this club on and move it out of the dark ages ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Unfortunately, the answer is far too often. A lot of fans seem to develop a blind spot when the slightest flicker of positivity is on the horizon.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 8:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Unfortunately, the answer is far too often. A lot of fans seem to develop a blind spot when the slightest flicker of positivity is on the horizon.

.... or offer a credible, practical and realistic alternative to the course that the club (JF) has taken.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 181
ska face
February 28, 2020, 8:39pm

Vodka Drinker

You tell me..because I've seen nobody offer to take this club on and move it out of the dark ages ..

So the only solution to continuous p1ss poor decisions, constantly falling out with fellow board members, making ludicrous commercial decisions based on personal vendettas - like falling out with much of the local press, digging fans out, and EVERYTHING ELSE...is to sell the club to someone else?

Jesus. It’s starting to become clear how people end up in cults. You’d be living on a commune in Guyana if Fenty told you to. I know it’s Friday night but lay off the kool aid.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 181
Bigdog
February 28, 2020, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I wonder what impact administration had on suppliers to those clubs, particularly small local ones. I'm no big JF fan but if you're suggesting it would've been better if we'd just gone into administration then I would disagree with that and would hope the fact we've at least paid our debts over the years should be something we can take some pride in.

We haven't paid our debts, we've just moved a smaller amount of debt to another creditor and now owe even more than we did back then and traded down two or three divisions of the football pyramid in the meantime. These are indisputable facts..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Is it really that hard to recognise that JF did right by the club when he stepped in and prevented administration and be grateful for that. But to then also acknowledge that since then the club hasn't been run particularly well and we've had a dismal spell in terms of the football?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

We haven't paid our debts, we've just moved a smaller amonut of debt to another creditor and now owe even more than we did back then and traded down two or three divisions of the football pyramid in the meantime.  These are indisputable facts..

We have pid our debts to suppliers though. The loans from JF have been and continue to be a millstone but some talk about admimistration like it would been a completely consequence free way of sorting out our finances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

So the only solution to continuous p1ss poor decisions, constantly falling out with fellow board members, making ludicrous commercial decisions based on personal vendettas - like falling out with much of the local press, digging fans out, and EVERYTHING ELSE...is to sell the club to someone else?

Jesus. It’s starting to become clear how people end up in cults. You’d be living on a commune in Guyana if Fenty told you to. I know it’s Friday night but lay off the kool aid.

Sorry ska but you're so full of hatred for the current regime you have to resort to type.
As I've said, I'm no fan of Fenty and and want the club to be in a better place but it's not.  
I face the reality of the situation we have before us, one I can do f@ck all about, I can't change it, neither can you.
I either sit bemoaning, droning on about how it once was so good or I accept what lies Infront of my eyes...
There comes a time when you have to let go, move on and go with it. If you feel the need to hate the board, JSF, or anyone or wish to that's your right, but I for one hate nobody.
I dislike what's happened to our club under the current incumbents tenure, there's been very little forward thinking but I will not lie that all at ones persons door ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 181
Bigdog
February 28, 2020, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Is it really that hard to recognise that JF did right by the club when he stepped in and prevented administration and be grateful for that. But to then also acknowledge that since then the club hasn't been run particularly well and we've had a dismal spell in terms of the football?

I really don't know Rodley myself. In principle and at that time I would say yes. But the benefit of hindsight tells me maybe not having watched the football on offer and the off field antics over the past two decades, the ignomy of non-league and the club losing 3m quid for dropping out of the Football League. The right principles, yes, but the wrong captain (and now back seat driver) steering the ship definitely..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Did he do right? As has been pointed out elsewhere, there have been several clubs who massively benefited by going into administration at a time when the consequences were less punitive.
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Did he do right? As has been pointed out elsewhere, there have been several clubs who massively benefited by going into administration at a time when the consequences were less punitive.

And others who are no longer in existence. And local businesses no longer about becasue a major customer didn't pay them. He's done mountains of things wrong in his time but he didn't have a crystal ball when he stepped in either did he? Seeing some grey between the black and white (stripes) seems beyond some.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker

And others who are no longer in existence. And local businesses no longer about becasue a major customer didn't pay them. He's done mountains of things wrong in his time but he didn't have a crystal ball when he stepped in either did he? Seeing some grey between the black and white (stripes) seems beyond some.

Not beyond me. There is no right or wrong but a bit of contrition when he has got things wrong as opposed to his self righteousness on occasion would have made things a little easier to bear.

Private Message
Reply: 142 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 9:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not beyond me. There is no right or wrong but a bit of contrition when he has got things wrong as opposed to his self righteousness on occasion would have made things a little easier to bear.

Yeah he's a pompous sodomist, I get that. Falling out with Mike Parker, non-league, slagging off Operation Promotion I do get it and agree.

I don't agree that we should have just gone into administration. I do think he's a genuine fan and I do think he wanted the best for the club. He just hasn't been able to deliver it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 181
mimma
February 28, 2020, 9:16pm
Brandy Drinker
The problem at the time was we owed HMRC who want all their money back and wont accept  anything less.  Other clubs owed bussinesses who accepted 10 pence in the pound rather than get nothing.

. Therefore if we went into administration we would still had have to pay off the debt in full or HMRC would have had the club wound up. It's one thing to owe businesses but a different thing owe the taxman. So there was no advantage in going into administration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 181
Bigdog
February 28, 2020, 9:17pm
Whiskey Drinker

Yeah he's a pompous sodomist, I get that. Falling out with Mike Parker, non-league, slagging off Operation Promotion I do get it and agree.

I don't agree that we should have just gone into administration. I do think he's a genuine fan and I do think he wanted the beat for the club. He just hasn't been able to deliver it.

I'm honest enough to say it, I have hated pretty much every minute of his reign. No grey areas just black and white. Where has it got us on or off the pitch? Nowhere, just a total dumbing down of the club I love whille being chastised for not thinking he's some kind of saviour.. At some point in the future he'll have put net zero pounds into the club kitty. For all the heartache and anger myself and thousands of others have had to go through, anyone with half a brain has got to ask what was it all for? 20 seasons of failure and decay can't be airbrushed from history can it? Especially when that certain someone even this week remains unapologetic and unrepentant..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I don't agree that we should have just gone into administration. I do think he's a genuine fan and I do think he wanted the best for the club. He just hasn't been able to deliver it.

Not saying we should or shouldn’t. Too much water under the bridge since then but, as majority shareholder, he should have accepted the responsibility for the failure years as opposed to blaming the circumstances in which he took over. If he’s the businessman that everyone believes him to be then he should have been fully aware of what he was taking on.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not saying we should or shouldn’t. Too much water under the bridge since then but, as majority shareholder, he should have accepted the responsibility for the failure years as opposed to blaming the circumstances in which he took over. If he’s the businessman that everyone believes him to be then he should have been fully aware of what he was taking on.

Again, I'm not defending him and not claiming he's done a good job. Just suggesting that maybe he stepped in when we were in dire straits because he cared for the club and thought it was the right thing to do. You really don't need to keep trying to persuade me that it's generally been a bit excrement for the past 20 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Again, I'm not defending him and not claiming he's done a good job. Just suggesting that maybe he stepped in when we were in dire straits because he cared for the club and thought it was the right thing to do. You really don't need to keep trying to persuade me that it's generally been a bit excrement for the past 20 years.

I’m not trying to persuade anyone. Just pointing out that the excuses for his tenure don’t stack up.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 9:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
And I'm not making any excuses for him. Just suggesting maybe the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes of opinion on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2020, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm honest enough to say it, I have hated pretty much every minute of his reign. No grey areas just black and white. Where has it got us on or off the pitch? Nowhere, just a total dumbing down of the club I love whille being chastised for not thinking he's some kind of saviour.. At some point in the future he'll have put net zero pounds into the club kitty. For all the heartache and anger myself and thousands of others have had to go through, anyone with half a brain has got to ask what was it all for? 20 seasons of failure and decay can't be airbrushed from history can it? Especially when that certain someone even this week remains unapologetic and unrepentant..

Me too. It is not the start of his reign that I object to as he had to make some difficult decisions and we can only judge that in hindsight.

It is the unremitting dross that has followed, and the complete inability to take any advice, get any help or change anything for the better. The countless occasions of falling out with the media, fellow investors and fans alike and above all for me, the complete lack of self awareness to recognise that he is nowhere near as capable as he thinks he is. No investment (apart from superficial stuff) in BP, and of course no new stadium.

Here we are again in the  week of yet another club statement that seemed so positive unravelling before the week is out. I don't know what to make of it - one minute I think we are going forward and his reign is coming to an end, and yet there he is at the fans forum a day or two later. Why not give that a miss and set the mood for a different future he had promised only a day or two previously?

Nothing ever seems to pan out as any club statement suggests.

I just hope Ollie can make it work despite everything. There must be some light at the end of the tunnel soon.  
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 181
mike_d
February 28, 2020, 10:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +375
Gold Stars: 4
I'm just glad that unlike Leicester GTFC can look all the local businesses in the eye and say they've been paid.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 29, 2020, 12:26am
Meths Drinker

And when someone shows me that administration would have worked for us I'll shut me trap...90% of that list are clubs in areas that have had major regeneration or are close to areas of influence and success....yes, Fenty has enjoyed his power trip but at the time when we needed saving from the grasp of the HMRC there was hardly a queue of money men knocking down the door at BP....so yes, I'll say it again....I'm glad we're not a sad sack case a la Bury...give me Fenty and his bunch of yes men over Mr Dale every day of the week.  
BTW....I'm not all Pro Fenty, he has his faults and has made f@ck ups along the way, but haven't we all!!..

That’s most of England you’re talking about there. NE, NW, SE, SW, Yorks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 29, 2020, 12:46am
Meths Drinker
I agree he stepped in and saved the club in the aftermath of ITV Digital. The problem with that is his help has proved to be a millstone.  He was capable of saving it but incapable of running it. As Ska points out, he turned a debt of 2 thirds of a million into one of £3 million.

That increase in debt has not come as a result of buying on field success but has come with on field failure. Year after year. So failure on both counts.

People say ‘we’ve all made mistakes’. True. But he doesn’t show any sign of recognising them let alone learning from them. Even now after all this time, in ‘stepping back’, he talks about going to Wembley in non-League finals as success. It’s this lack of realisation or acceptance that make me dubious that things are going to change. If the guy said ‘I saved the club years ago but I’ve left it in more debt and worse off in football terms’ I’d believe the leopard had changed its spots.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 181
aldi_01
February 29, 2020, 8:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Accept responsibility? Zero chance of that happening. The fact he sees non league as a success and visiting Wembley in a cup competition none of us ever wanted to play in also says a lot...makes me question whether he is or has ever been a fan really.

HIs ineptitude in running the club is there for all to see, his stranglehold is there for all to see, Christ, even people away from Grimsby can see that (this is my major reservation regarding IH but everyone has their own view).

I genuinely believe he thinks he’s been a success because he simply, people have said, dealt with HMRC...meanwhile increasing the debt long term to ensure his complete control of the club. Stepping down as chairman all those moons ago cemented his place, this is much the same.

We don’t have to worry about whether we did it the moral way or if we can hold our head up high because that actually means intercourse all...and as mentioned, our debt was to HMRC, not local businesses, so unlike clubs like Bournemouth who seemingly didn’t care about anyone but themselves and continued on their upward trajectory, Fenty negotiated a deal with HMRC which ensured he imposed austerity on the club and quickly watched us disappear in to the abyss. Some may argue it was a good deal but again, it’s questionable. The clubs track record of negotiating deals is hardly great, just look at the Ryan Bennett fiasco, the Bogle farce and so on.

It’s great to be principled and moral but I bet Bournemouth fans couldn’t give a excrement when they got to go away to Old Trafford or anfield. Yes I understand FFP may catch up with them but nevertheless, people get the point.

Penny pinching in Slade’s first season led to him and the players walking away, we never recovered and so began the big decline...this has continued, be it on or off then pitch. Meanwhile, the people, including John that have been involved for donkeys years, the yes people, the chums of John remain in a position to ‘make a decision’, decisions that have zero impact on the club positively because they either simply aren’t able to or they can’t see the wider picture.

Dale’s statement
The inability to ban a racist for life
Slagging off OP
Fans being told to shut up
Breakdown of relationships with pretty much everyone
The car tapes
Women smuggling smoke bombs like tampons
Doing the ice bucket challenge for no other reason than to have a pop at Defraitus
Breaking a kids flag
Offering embarrassing contracts to good players
Alienating every single town fan by using the price of his car to seemingly inflate the story of a mere scratch (unfounded that it was ever done maliciously)
Publicly calling prospective buyers tyre kickers

The list goes on.

So forgive me for thinking he and the board are clueless, forgive me for being concerned that these folk are seemingly going to project manage the biggest development in the club/towns history for 50 years...

We all have a view, some are much more realistic, some are much more cynical, and some are seemingly more positive and selective...each to their own but I’ll continue to want them all gone and the club sold...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 181
psgmariner
February 29, 2020, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I challenge anyone to name a club where the owner is universally liked by the supporters. It just doesn’t happen. There’s no magic formula for running a football well.

Private Message
Reply: 155 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Accept responsibility? Zero chance of that happening. The fact he sees non league as a success and visiting Wembley in a cup competition none of us ever wanted to play in also says a lot...makes me question whether he is or has ever been a fan really.

HIs ineptitude in running the club is there for all to see, his stranglehold is there for all to see, Christ, even people away from Grimsby can see that (this is my major reservation regarding IH but everyone has their own view).

I genuinely believe he thinks he’s been a success because he simply, people have said, dealt with HMRC...meanwhile increasing the debt long term to ensure his complete control of the club. Stepping down as chairman all those moons ago cemented his place, this is much the same.

We don’t have to worry about whether we did it the moral way or if we can hold our head up high because that actually means intercourse all...and as mentioned, our debt was to HMRC, not local businesses, so unlike clubs like Bournemouth who seemingly didn’t care about anyone but themselves and continued on their upward trajectory, Fenty negotiated a deal with HMRC which ensured he imposed austerity on the club and quickly watched us disappear in to the abyss. Some may argue it was a good deal but again, it’s questionable. The clubs track record of negotiating deals is hardly great, just look at the Ryan Bennett fiasco, the Bogle farce and so on.

It’s great to be principled and moral but I bet Bournemouth fans couldn’t give a excrement when they got to go away to Old Trafford or anfield. Yes I understand FFP may catch up with them but nevertheless, people get the point.

Penny pinching in Slade’s first season led to him and the players walking away, we never recovered and so began the big decline...this has continued, be it on or off then pitch. Meanwhile, the people, including John that have been involved for donkeys years, the yes people, the chums of John remain in a position to ‘make a decision’, decisions that have zero impact on the club positively because they either simply aren’t able to or they can’t see the wider picture.

Dale’s statement
The inability to ban a racist for life
Slagging off OP
Fans being told to shut up
Breakdown of relationships with pretty much everyone
The car tapes
Women smuggling smoke bombs like tampons
Doing the ice bucket challenge for no other reason than to have a pop at Defraitus
Breaking a kids flag
Offering embarrassing contracts to good players
Alienating every single town fan by using the price of his car to seemingly inflate the story of a mere scratch (unfounded that it was ever done maliciously)
Publicly calling prospective buyers tyre kickers

The list goes on.

So forgive me for thinking he and the board are clueless, forgive me for being concerned that these folk are seemingly going to project manage the biggest development in the club/towns history for 50 years...

We all have a view, some are much more realistic, some are much more cynical, and some are seemingly more positive and selective...each to their own but I’ll continue to want them all gone and the club sold...

I am sorry but that is just a load of old cobblers.

He did the ice bucket challenge to show everyone he had been working out.
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 181
aldi_01
February 29, 2020, 10:03am

Barley Wine Drinker

I am sorry but that is just a load of old cobblers.

He did the ice bucket challenge to show everyone he had been working out.

Haha...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 181
pen penfras
February 29, 2020, 10:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Removing the non league teams, and comparing how they were before vs how they are now, hardly any of those teams have done better, most significantly worse than their potential. Most of them are bigger clubs than us, so the recovery should be easier (more money).

21 out of the 39 list below are bigger clubs than us, so saying they're in a higher league position isn't really objective, they always have been (or at least had more potential). I'd say only Hull and Bournemouth have improve since, and Leicester were always about that level anyway but I'll count them since they won the premier league.

It's hardly showing that administration would have been beneficial. The reality is that financial problems negatively effect most clubs, and the recovery is faster for the better supported teams.

Quoted from Les Brechin

Hull City      7 February 2001 4 years later they did well
Queens Park Rangers      2 April 2001 were a regular top flight team for 25 years before this, haven't been since
Halifax Town      9 April 2002 definitely no success since
Bradford City      16 May 2002 much bigger club than us and at the same level
Notts County      June 2002 now in non league
Barnsley      3 October 2002 bigger club than us, were a mid table championship team before, now between bottom end and top of league 1
Leicester City      21 October 2002 Definitely been successful since
Port Vale      16 December 2002 Not been above mid table of league 1 since
York City      18 December 2002 barely been in the football league since
Derby County      20 October 2003 former regular top flight team, only one terrible season since.
Ipswich Town      10 February 2003 much bigger club than us,  not been near the premier league since. Currently in league 1
Wimbledon      5 June 2003 Can't really compare since they don't exist
Darlington      23 December 2003 don't even know where they are anymore
Bradford City      27 February 2004 big club, currently in our league. Been way below potential for a long time
Wrexham      3 December 2004 bigger than us, been worse than us since
Cambridge United      29 April 2005 dropped out of the league for longer than us, not done much different
Rotherham United      13 May 2006 not much changed
Crawley Town      5 June 2006 they've improved since
Boston United      25 April 2007 lower than they were before
Leeds United      4 May 2007 huge club that's way below where they expect
Luton Town      22 November 2007 Worst spell in their history since, bigger than us
Bournemouth      8 February 2008 With the help of a billionaire, they've massively improved
Rotherham United      18 March 2008
Halifax Town      26 March 2008
Darlington      25 February 2009
Southampton      2 April 2009 recovered after a 7 year slump
Stockport County      30 April 2009 dropped way down
Chester City      17 May 2009 dropped way down
Crystal Palace      26 January 2010 didn't seem to make a difference
Portsmouth      26 February 2010 big club, dropped right down, still below potential
Plymouth Argyle      4 March 2011 not much difference
Rushden and Diamonds      7 July 2011 vanity project, vanished
Darlington      3 January 2012
Portsmouth      17 February 2012
Port Vale      9 March 2012
Coventry City      21 March 2013 big club, over 30 years in the prem and now they're a regular league 1 club
Aldershot Town      2 May 2013 not been in the football league since
Bolton Wanderers      13 May 2019 big club, too early to tell
Bury      18 July 2019

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 181
LH
February 29, 2020, 10:09am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Agree with most of those verdicts but Wrexham are absolutely not a bigger club than us.
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 181
pen penfras
February 29, 2020, 10:16am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from LH
Agree with most of those verdicts but Wrexham are absolutely not a bigger club than us.

Agree, I went to edit that, but it won't let me edit the bit in the quote. They're similarly supported to us though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LH

He has been a bit selective with that list.Rotherham - not much change except they have spent more time in both the Championship and league 1, are now poised to go back to the Championship and have a lovely brand new beautifully designed stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 181
rancido
February 29, 2020, 10:42am

Vodka Drinker

He has been a bit selective with that list.Rotherham - not much change except they have spent more time in both the Championship and league 1, are now poised to go back to the Championship and have a lovely brand new beautifully designed stadium.

They are a bigger club than us, have a much larger fan base plus larger potential fan base and consequently have more potential to ride out going into administration.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 11:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

They are a bigger club than us, have a much larger fan base plus larger potential fan base and consequently have more potential to ride out going into administration.

They are now. These things move over time - usually the clubs that have been invested in or run well suddenly become "bigger clubs than us"

There are any number of clubs who now are in higher division with a bigger fan base that were smaller than GTFC at one time. The trouble with us is that we have remained at such a low base for so long we now think of most of our contemporaries as "bigger clubs"  
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 181
golfer
February 29, 2020, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
£5million pounds to be spent (including £2million from us ) repairing Corporation Road bridge. Council and ENGIE to work closely together. £5million FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 181
pen penfras
February 29, 2020, 11:27am

Cocktail Drinker

They are now. These things move over time - usually the clubs that have been invested in or run well suddenly become "bigger clubs than us"

There are any number of clubs who now are in higher division with a bigger fan base that were smaller than GTFC at one time. The trouble with us is that we have remained at such a low base for so long we now think of most of our contemporaries as "bigger clubs"  

I'd say the problem with us is that we think because we punched above our weight for quite a long time, that we consider our contemporaries as being similar to us. When the financial problems hit us, our impact was much worse than teams that could recover quickly with a large fan base. Of course, lots of mistakes contributed to our downfall, but to say we'd have been better off going into administration, when the vast majority of clubs have not got back to where they were before going into administration and some doing significantly worse, is not looking at things objectively. 2 of the 3 clubs that have done better since administration have had billionaires funding them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 181
aldi_01
February 29, 2020, 11:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Is fan base a true measure of how to gauge success both on the pitch and financially? I’d argue it’s not...

Several of those clubs didn’t have fan bases that could subsidise the large debts, but they were forward thinking and had a vision, made themselves a sellable proposition.

I can’t be arsed to go through average attendances but I’d argue that Rotherham for example likely had similar attendances to us...

Fact is, bringing up the issue of ITV is futile now. Most people who want to see the back of Fenty will acknowledge the difficulties the club encountered back then...it’s the flipping shitshow of a circus that has followed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 11:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I'd say the problem with us is that we think because we punched above our weight for quite a long time, that we consider our contemporaries as being similar to us. When the financial problems hit us, our impact was much worse than teams that could recover quickly with a large fan base. Of course, lots of mistakes contributed to our downfall, but to say we'd have been better off going into administration, when the vast majority of clubs have not got back to where they were before going into administration and some doing significantly worse, is not looking at things objectively. 2 of the 3 clubs that have done better since administration have had billionaires funding them.

I dont have a view either way about whether its best to go into administration or not. Iv'e said before that Mr Fenty had to make the decision the best he could at the time. That doesn't excuse what has happened since though.

There are quite a few clubs who historically got similar gates to us that are now "bigger" and the reasons for that are varied, but most, if not all have gone through very bad periods with very low crowds.
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 181
aldi_01
February 29, 2020, 11:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
But the reason they’ve increased fan base and their profile, as well seeing an upward turn in fortunes on the pitch is that they learned from mistakes, they had a clear vision, they didn’t excuse make and say ‘we punched above our weight...3k ST is plenty’ blah blah...

They put themselves out there and evolved and moved forward. We on the other hand...

Remember when Fenty offered pearls of wisdom to Lincoln on avoiding the drop...they went down. Have they asked his advice since? I think we all know the answer to that.

You have to learn from mistakes...we seemingly find that really hard.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 181
pen penfras
February 29, 2020, 12:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
But the reason they’ve increased fan base and their profile, as well seeing an upward turn in fortunes on the pitch is that they learned from mistakes, they had a clear vision, they didn’t excuse make and say ‘we punched above our weight...3k ST is plenty’ blah blah...

They put themselves out there and evolved and moved forward. We on the other hand...

Remember when Fenty offered pearls of wisdom to Lincoln on avoiding the drop...they went down. Have they asked his advice since? I think we all know the answer to that.

You have to learn from mistakes...we seemingly find that really hard.

It's Fenty's fault Lincoln went down now. WOW!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 181
aldi_01
February 29, 2020, 12:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

It's Fenty's fault Lincoln went down now. WOW!

If you could crawl out of his bottom for a few moments...nobody said that. It’s a fact he gave advice, it’s a fact they went down. At no point did the comment suggest he made them go down...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 181
rancido
February 29, 2020, 12:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Is fan base a true measure of how to gauge success both on the pitch and financially? I’d argue it’s not...

Several of those clubs didn’t have fan bases that could subsidise the large debts, but they were forward thinking and had a vision, made themselves a sellable proposition.

I can’t be arsed to go through average attendances but I’d argue that Rotherham for example likely had similar attendances to us...

Fact is, bringing up the issue of ITV is futile now. Most people who want to see the back of Fenty will acknowledge the difficulties the club encountered back then...it’s the flipping shitshow of a circus that has followed.

Rotherham's attendances could have had similar attendances to ours but fan base isn't just about attendances. It includes local population density, nearby small towns and large villages. The potential to attract more fans. Rotherham can draw fans from many neighbouring towns and villages such as Maltby, Conisbrough, Mexborough, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath upon Dearne and Hoyland Nether. None of them large conurbations but collectively a large potential fan base. Of course nearby clubs like Doncaster, Barnsley and the 2 Sheffield clubs also vie for these supporters but the potential is still their. What outlying conurbations can GTFC draw it's fans from? Immingham, Louth and that's about it. When push comes to shove, as a potential football investment Rotherham will always be a more attractive proposition than Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Rotherham's attendances could have had similar attendances to ours but fan base isn't just about attendances. It includes local population density, nearby small towns and large villages. The potential to attract more fans. Rotherham can draw fans from many neighbouring towns and villages such as Maltby, Conisbrough, Mexborough, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath upon Dearne and Hoyland Nether. None of them large conurbations but collectively a large potential fan base. Of course nearby clubs like Doncaster, Barnsley and the 2 Sheffield clubs also vie for these supporters but the potential is still their. What outlying conurbations can GTFC draw it's fans from? Immingham, Louth and that's about it. When push comes to shove, as a potential football investment Rotherham will always be a more attractive proposition than Grimsby.

Most of those areas surrounding Rotherham will support a Sheffield club.  North East Lincolnshire has a big catchment with the added advantage of no big clubs within it.
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 181
mariner91
February 29, 2020, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from psgmariner
I challenge anyone to name a club where the owner is universally liked by the supporters. It just doesn’t happen. There’s no magic formula for running a football well.

Don't know if it's universal but I'd say Lincoln's ownership is approaching that.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 181
mimma
February 29, 2020, 1:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Leicester 's chairman is and was very popular
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 181
promotion plaice
February 29, 2020, 1:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

Peter Swann used to be popular  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 181
rancido
February 29, 2020, 1:25pm

Vodka Drinker

Most of those areas surrounding Rotherham will support a Sheffield club.  North East Lincolnshire has a big catchment with the added advantage of no big clubs within it.

Yes, North East Lincolnshire has a big catchment area but a low population density to call upon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 29, 2020, 1:25pm
Meths Drinker

Exactly. It’d be so easy for people round there to go to see t’Blairds or t’Owls.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Yes, North East Lincolnshire has a big catchment area but a low population density to call upon.

I think you are arguing for argument sake there.

We have had enough excuses.  There is no reason why GTFC could not be higher up the pyramid with better support with the right leadership on and off the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 181
pen penfras
February 29, 2020, 1:54pm

Cocktail Drinker

I think you are arguing for argument sake there.

Pot. Kettle. Black
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 29, 2020, 2:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Pot. Kettle. Black

Agreed. But I do make a valid point!
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 181
Limerick Mariner
February 29, 2020, 2:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from rancido

Both Town and Lincoln have more potential than Rotherham. When Rotherham were at Millmoor their average attendances was, in a good part, made up from other, bigger, Yorkshire clubs filling their away end and often outnumbering the home fans. They've done really well since they built the new stadium and get decent crowds in, but no better than Lincoln, and Lincoln have to limit the away fan numbers to 1,750 at the moment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 181
19 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.