Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

This thread currently has 24,927 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 26, 2020, 6:44pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 117
Our 'biggest budget' at this level eh? The problem is that out of that budget has to come new contracts for quite a few of the Town players who are out of contract at the end of the season. If Ollie is to retain all of his best players with new or better contracts, I very much doubt that will leave much of the 'biggest budget' for new players.

Players out of contract will be

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

...and Chaz with an option of another year.  

Theres some big names there who are now performing week after week and will command a decent amount, especially if they want various clauses writing into their new contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 181
ginnywings
February 26, 2020, 7:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Our 'biggest budget' at this level eh? The problem is that out of that budget has to come new contracts for quite a few of the Town players who are out of contract at the end of the season. If Ollie is to retain all of his best players with new or better contracts, I very much doubt that will leave much of the 'biggest budget' for new players.

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

Theres some big names there who are now performing week after week and will command a decent amount, especially if they want various clauses writing into their new contracts.

That doesn't make any sense. If we can afford them now, we can afford them with a bigger budget, not to mention players going out will allow for players coming in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 181
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 26, 2020, 7:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73

Clarke
Hessenthaler  
Grandin  
Wright  
Whitehouse  
Davis  
Garmston  
Russell  
Cook  
Rose  
Cardwell  

Why? A number of that list will be released, some will be offered new terms which may or may not include an increased salary. I understand that a number of the players brought in were on very good salaries, Ogbu was one and I think getting him, probably Green and Ohman May also free up some extra spends. Plus to quote IH a number of the guys who wanted to follow him here were not interested in the money, so time will tell but listening to his interview last night he seems a very determined guy who will not be afraid to release players he doesn’t feel will be good enough.

Hopefully exciting times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 181
moosey_club
February 26, 2020, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from diehardmariner

Exactly!

If only there was a way of selling season tickets now, therefore absolutely guaranteeing your income for them and allowing you to set a budget accordingly.   Then using any additional sales to top up said budget.  

Have you fell off your cloud over there in cuckoo land ?  Sell season tickets before the current season hasn't anywhere near finished yet ??  Dont allow supporters to cool off over the summer and completely forget the feel good factor IH is bringing up, the lined exercise books to record sales in arent even in the sale at WH Smiths yet .....and imagine if we made it into the play offs and actually got promoted but had already sold some season tickets for next season without being able to add the promotion tally to the pricing, we would have to contact all buyers and ask for an extra £25-£50 because we unexpectedly became better than we imagined and if it was such a good idea to future sell surely other clubs would be doing just that already.....

i have heard some crazy ideas in my time but you take the biscuit ......

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 181
rancido
February 26, 2020, 7:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It's not petty though is it. Suppose Fenty has a say in a decision affecting the new ground (PP or even public funding), you'll open the doors to challenges along the lines that he would benefit personally. That could then hold up or derail the decision through appeals, referrals to the minister, judicial review or whatever.

Stepping away from the day-to-day running of the club won't make any difference to the fact he is the major shareholder of the club. Whilst he is there is a potentially a conflict of interest. Until that changes the only thing that would avoid it is stepping back from his council role.

Because of his declared interest in GTFC (as the major shareholder and as a director) then he will not be be allowed to be involved in any council discussions or decisions regarding the proposed new ground.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236

It's not petty though is it. Suppose Fenty has a say in a decision affecting the new ground (PP or even public funding), you'll open the doors to challenges along the lines that he would benefit personally. That could then hold up or derail the decision through appeals, referrals to the minister, judicial review or whatever.

Stepping away from the day-to-day running of the club won't make any difference to the fact he is the major shareholder of the club. Whilst he is there is a potentially a conflict of interest. Until that changes the only thing that would avoid it is stepping back from his council role.

He is not going to step away from the council or GTFC in time is he?

Surely no actual involvement in the process or a vote at council meetings would be sufficient otherwise we might as well call the whole thing off.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 8:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Because of his declared interest in GTFC (as the major shareholder and as a director) then he will not be be allowed to be involved in any council discussions or decisions regarding the proposed new ground.

That would be the logical thing. But what’s the point of stepping away from the club day to day then?! He said he’s stepping away from day to day involvement in the club because of the conflict of interest. That just doesn’t make sense. Not that I mind him stepping away from the club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

That would be the logical thing. But what’s the point of stepping away from the club day to day then?! He said he’s stepping away from day to day involvement in the club because of the conflict of interest. That just doesn’t make sense. Not that I mind him stepping away from the club.

May be honest John has realised that his ridiculous suggestion that someone buy the club yet allow him/current board to run the club and then a false promise of further investment opportunity and taking over of control was simply that...ridiculous.

So if that’s an idea John has, allowing his old mate take the reins whilst he makes his way in the world of local politics gives him the best of both. Still ultimately remains in control at the club whilst also feathering his own political nest.

For me little has changed. Time will tell but it’s not like he hasn’t done this before...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 181
GollyGTFC
February 26, 2020, 9:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
When I started supporting Town (1992) if you had told me that I'd see Town play in 2 FA Trophy Final & 4 consecutive Conference Play-off campaigns including 2 Finals and promotion to the Football League I wouldn't have believed you. We have John Fenty to thank for all of that. Without him it wouldn't have happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2020, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GollyGTFC
When I started supporting Town (1992) if you had told me that I'd see Town play in 2 FA Trophy Final & 4 consecutive Conference Play-off campaigns including 2 Finals and promotion to the Football League I wouldn't have believed you. We have John Fenty to thank for all of that. Without him it wouldn't have happened.

When we beat the likes of Wolves and Sunderland?
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 181
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.