Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

This thread currently has 24,923 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Is it really that hard to recognise that JF did right by the club when he stepped in and prevented administration and be grateful for that. But to then also acknowledge that since then the club hasn't been run particularly well and we've had a dismal spell in terms of the football?

Did he do right? As has been pointed out elsewhere, there have been several clubs who massively benefited by going into administration at a time when the consequences were less punitive.
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 8:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Did he do right? As has been pointed out elsewhere, there have been several clubs who massively benefited by going into administration at a time when the consequences were less punitive.

And others who are no longer in existence. And local businesses no longer about becasue a major customer didn't pay them. He's done mountains of things wrong in his time but he didn't have a crystal ball when he stepped in either did he? Seeing some grey between the black and white (stripes) seems beyond some.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker

And others who are no longer in existence. And local businesses no longer about becasue a major customer didn't pay them. He's done mountains of things wrong in his time but he didn't have a crystal ball when he stepped in either did he? Seeing some grey between the black and white (stripes) seems beyond some.

Not beyond me. There is no right or wrong but a bit of contrition when he has got things wrong as opposed to his self righteousness on occasion would have made things a little easier to bear.

Private Message
Reply: 142 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 9:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not beyond me. There is no right or wrong but a bit of contrition when he has got things wrong as opposed to his self righteousness on occasion would have made things a little easier to bear.

Yeah he's a pompous sodomist, I get that. Falling out with Mike Parker, non-league, slagging off Operation Promotion I do get it and agree.

I don't agree that we should have just gone into administration. I do think he's a genuine fan and I do think he wanted the best for the club. He just hasn't been able to deliver it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 181
mimma
February 28, 2020, 9:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
The problem at the time was we owed HMRC who want all their money back and wont accept  anything less.  Other clubs owed bussinesses who accepted 10 pence in the pound rather than get nothing.

. Therefore if we went into administration we would still had have to pay off the debt in full or HMRC would have had the club wound up. It's one thing to owe businesses but a different thing owe the taxman. So there was no advantage in going into administration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 181
Bigdog
February 28, 2020, 9:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

Yeah he's a pompous sodomist, I get that. Falling out with Mike Parker, non-league, slagging off Operation Promotion I do get it and agree.

I don't agree that we should have just gone into administration. I do think he's a genuine fan and I do think he wanted the beat for the club. He just hasn't been able to deliver it.

I'm honest enough to say it, I have hated pretty much every minute of his reign. No grey areas just black and white. Where has it got us on or off the pitch? Nowhere, just a total dumbing down of the club I love whille being chastised for not thinking he's some kind of saviour.. At some point in the future he'll have put net zero pounds into the club kitty. For all the heartache and anger myself and thousands of others have had to go through, anyone with half a brain has got to ask what was it all for? 20 seasons of failure and decay can't be airbrushed from history can it? Especially when that certain someone even this week remains unapologetic and unrepentant..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I don't agree that we should have just gone into administration. I do think he's a genuine fan and I do think he wanted the best for the club. He just hasn't been able to deliver it.

Not saying we should or shouldn’t. Too much water under the bridge since then but, as majority shareholder, he should have accepted the responsibility for the failure years as opposed to blaming the circumstances in which he took over. If he’s the businessman that everyone believes him to be then he should have been fully aware of what he was taking on.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not saying we should or shouldn’t. Too much water under the bridge since then but, as majority shareholder, he should have accepted the responsibility for the failure years as opposed to blaming the circumstances in which he took over. If he’s the businessman that everyone believes him to be then he should have been fully aware of what he was taking on.

Again, I'm not defending him and not claiming he's done a good job. Just suggesting that maybe he stepped in when we were in dire straits because he cared for the club and thought it was the right thing to do. You really don't need to keep trying to persuade me that it's generally been a bit excrement for the past 20 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Again, I'm not defending him and not claiming he's done a good job. Just suggesting that maybe he stepped in when we were in dire straits because he cared for the club and thought it was the right thing to do. You really don't need to keep trying to persuade me that it's generally been a bit excrement for the past 20 years.

I’m not trying to persuade anyone. Just pointing out that the excuses for his tenure don’t stack up.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 181
Rodley Mariner
February 28, 2020, 9:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
And I'm not making any excuses for him. Just suggesting maybe the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes of opinion on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 181
19 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.