Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

This thread currently has 24,952 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
fishboyUTM
February 28, 2020, 6:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from GollyGTFC
When I started supporting Town (1992) if you had told me that I'd see Town play in 2 FA Trophy Final & 4 consecutive Conference Play-off campaigns including 2 Finals and promotion to the Football League I wouldn't have believed you. We have John Fenty to thank for all of that. Without him it wouldn't have happened.

FA Trophy finals, play off campaigns (at non league level)  

I feel for you, if you consider this success. I'm 43 and grew up watching second tier football, occasional successive relegations then back up the leagues again. Personally I was hugely embarassed to be taking part in the FA Trophy, I went to both finals and didn't really care if we won or not. Put your comments up against 97/98 when we won at Wembley twice! The Auto Windscreens was the first proper trophy I'd ever seen us win, and even thinking back now, to see us at Wembley, my eyes well up. Only a few weeks later and an immediate return to what is now the Championship, and all you've had is this excrement, six years of hell, no pretty much 20 years of hell.

You're right in what you say. Without John Fenty, it wouldn't have happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 181
Northbank Mariner
February 28, 2020, 7:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
I'll ask all the Fenty bashers one question.....
If he hadn't bailed the club out when he did what would have happened to the club?...
We had a tax bill knocking on the doorstep of £1m pound and the HMRC were breathing down our neck in readiness to foreclose the business.
There was nobody else out there ready to dip there hands in their pockets then Fenty stepped up and put his money where his mouth was.
So, since then he's made some pretty large faux Pas and not exactly took the club forward, in his own words "the football club had become stale", but he's kept putting the cash in and we've still had a club to follow.
Say what you like about the 6 years in non league, they were dark days but I'd take that over doing a Bury which is the path we were on.
We, as fans, the paying audience, obviously expect better because of our proud history, our glory days, recent spells flirting with the top of the championship but footballs moved on massively since those days, the money within the game has grown exponentially and sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and accept we are what we are. A club that was on the brink of going out of business.
Is Holloway the saviour that can bring those glory days back, I don't know, but what I do know is that we still have a club to support and for that I thank the board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 7:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Probably have done what so many did and enter administration, agree some really flimsy deal with HMRC and still be operating.

This ‘saviour’ business is and always has worn thin, much like Fenty trotting our ITV digital or whatever other excuses he’s used along the way for imposing austerity on the club and seeing us enter the abyss.

Asking the question of what would’ve happened is pointless because we will never know. Much like asking the question of whether or Holloway will suddenly make us better than bottom half...we simply don’t know.

It’s great being unique though and having a non non chairman...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 181
rancido
February 28, 2020, 8:33am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from aldi_01
Probably have done what so many did and enter administration, agree some really flimsy deal with HMRC and still be operating.

This ‘saviour’ business is and always has worn thin, much like Fenty trotting our ITV digital or whatever other excuses he’s used along the way for imposing austerity on the club and seeing us enter the abyss.

Asking the question of what would’ve happened is pointless because we will never know. Much like asking the question of whether or Holloway will suddenly make us better than bottom half...we simply don’t know.

You say asking the question "what would have happened is pointless because we'll never know". This is a fair point but you opened your post with "probably entered administration and still be operating" but we will never know if we'd come out of administration and still be operating. You can't have it both ways. Yes, many clubs have succeeded after administration but a lot haven't. The ones that have mostly seem to be ones that had more "financial appeal" or better assets ie grounds and infrastructure. I don't think the gamble of us going into administration at the time was worth the risk but, like you say, we'll never know.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 181
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 8:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
But they didn’t at the time, many had ageing stadiums and debts far worse than ours. Look at Rotherham, they were in a mess, ended up borrowing a ground and the likes...no more sellable than us.

Since our current administration has been in control the phrase ‘devalue the product’ has been used to within an inch of its life yet the regime can’t see the irony in such a statement.

Simple fact is, nothing has changed really. We had a non chairman, we’ve now got a non chairman twice removed.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 181
Maringer
February 28, 2020, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding Whitehouse, I've been surprised how technically capable he has shown himself to be since our style of play has changed under Holloway. He tended to be a bit of a disappointment when we were more kick and rush but he's done much better with the passing and movement.

However, I also think Hessenthaler is a good footballer with the ball at his feet, though not as forward thinking. Assuming that Benson isn't with us next season, Hessenthaler would be a good player for the slightly deeper defensive role. Who knows who will be with us after the summer, though?

It will be interesting to see where Grandin tends to play. He's looked classy keeping possession but I was expecting somebody who was more of an attacking midfielder when he signed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 181
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 28, 2020, 1:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +829
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Maringer
Regarding Whitehouse, I've been surprised how technically capable he has shown himself to be since our style of play has changed under Holloway. He tended to be a bit of a disappointment when we were more kick and rush but he's done much better with the passing and movement.

However, I also think Hessenthaler is a good footballer with the ball at his feet, though not as forward thinking. Assuming that Benson isn't with us next season, Hessenthaler would be a good player for the slightly deeper defensive role. Who knows who will be with us after the summer, though?

It will be interesting to see where Grandin tends to play. He's looked classy keeping possession but I was expecting somebody who was more of an attacking midfielder when he signed?

I think a big part of the whole upturn for GTFC is a massive increase in morale and positivity throughout the players, all brought in by Ollie and his charisma. Regarding all of his post match comments, win or lose, he always has something positive to say, which surely must help the players massively. To suddenly be given a feeling of self belief, rather than having negatives thrown around the media, or even no comments at all, will always have a big positive for the team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 181
TheRealJohnLewis
February 28, 2020, 1:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
If he hadn't bailed the club out when he did what would have happened to the club?...
We had a tax bill knocking on the doorstep of £1m pound and the HMRC were breathing down our neck in readiness to foreclose the business.
There was nobody else out there ready to dip there hands in their pockets then Fenty stepped up and put his money where his mouth was.
So, since then he's made some pretty large faux Pas and not exactly took the club forward, in his own words "the football club had become stale", but he's kept putting the cash in and we've still had a club to follow.
Say what you like about the 6 years in non league, they were dark days but I'd take that over doing a Bury which is the path we were on.
We, as fans, the paying audience, obviously expect better because of our proud history, our glory days, recent spells flirting with the top of the championship but footballs moved on massively since those days, the money within the game has grown exponentially and sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and accept we are what we are. A club that was on the brink of going out of business.
Is Holloway the saviour that can bring those glory days back, I don't know, but what I do know is that we still have a club to support and for that I thank the board.

I'll happily consider myself a "Fenty Basher" as to me that means holding him to account, so I'll bite a the ridiculous question and your flimsy grasp on reality. This reminds me of the saying "My keys were in the last place I looked!" Of course, it was the last place you looked as you are not going to keep on looking.  The same goes for taking control of the club when the ITV digital struck, we don't know whether someone else would have come in should Fenty not have wished to take it forward. How many clubs actually went out of business never to be seen again because of ITV digital? He has "kept" putting money in, he hasn't put any in for years now!

So he's got 20 years of free entry and hospitality into every single Town game, and it's not cost him a penny, he's even made money out of the club due to the Trust shares that he bullied out of them.  

We are not Bury so you can not compare our situation to theirs, That's like saying Ian Huntley wasn't so bad because Hitler was worse!

I am not prepared to take 20 years of Fenty's shite he has served up "on the chin" we as fans deserved better than being treated as maggots and scum by JF.  I will never EVER be happy with being a lower Lg2/Conference Team.

Private Message
Reply: 107 - 181
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2020, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I think you'll find he's been taking a fair bit out lately.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 181
Southwark Mariner
February 28, 2020, 2:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from aldi_01

NonChairception...a non Chairman within a non Chairman....will that be enough to get us a new stadium?

No....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 181
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.