Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

This thread currently has 24,834 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
February 26, 2020, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
He’s sort of done this before hasn’t he ???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
He’s sort of done this before hasn’t he ???

You mean he resigned from his role as chairman but remained as majority shareholder, enduring he literally couldn’t be removed unless he decided to sell...and every rejoiced...

Yep...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 181
scrumble
February 26, 2020, 10:41am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Croxton
This goes some way towards avoiding conflict of interests

I hope he isn't doing it fir that because it won't work. The last time a council vote was required over the Great Coates site anyone who had been to see town play in the previous 5 years was barred from the discussion due to "conflict of interest".

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 181
Bigdog
February 26, 2020, 10:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

I imagine there will be lots going on in the background we are yet unaware of.

That sounds to me that Ollie wants to take the club forward off the pitch and being a clever chap will have a plan to do that.

We need new investment so perhaps Ollie will be the catalyst for that.

Interesting times ahead.

My thoughts too.

Nothing much legally or financially has changed really at the club except for JF on a personal level realising the difficulty of dividing his time between two important roles. A good time for him to "leave but not leave" while the club is on the up and probably at potentially its highest point on the pitch under his tenure. Possibly a bit too early for eulogies yet knowing how things have ebbed and flowed during his journey with GTFC. As seen on Twitter #gtfc.. we must be the first football club ever to have a Non Non Chairman. And unfortunately it solves nothing when it comes to conflict of interest regarding the new stadium as he remains the club's largest creditor and shareholder. It matters not a jot whether he's there daily or not when it comes to funding of public money. That square is still yet to be circled.

Always admired his dogged and generous commitment to the club while being frustrated with his results on and off the pitch. This isn't the end of JF and GTFC but it could be the beginning of the end. Definitely time for new blood on the board and fresh ideas.. hopefully IH has got one or two plans up his sleeve..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 181
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 26, 2020, 10:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I would think the issues over the new ground will have had much to do with the decision. The addition of Ollie to the club has come along as a catalyst as well just at the right time.

Life as a fan with JF running the club has always been a roller coaster and very often we have found ourselves on opposite sides of the fence, certainly in terms of manager recruitment. But nobody could every doubt JF's commitment to saving the club from the fate of the likes of Bury or his support as a Mariner.

Though I don't know JF as a person, I do wish him all the best, not least because his best will be the club's best bet for getting that new stadium. If it does happen I for one will not begrudge him one drop of praise.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 181
louth_in_the_south
February 26, 2020, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
You’d imagine that on IH’s travels around the football world he’ll have made friends with many backers of football clubs who may just be sniffing around .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 181
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 11:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You’d imagine that on IH’s travels around the football world he’ll have made friends with many backers of football clubs who may just be sniffing around .

The Oyston’s?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 181
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Bigdog

My thoughts too.

Nothing much legally or financially has changed really at the club except for JF on a personal level realising the difficulty of dividing his time between two important roles. A good time for him to "leave but not leave" while the club is on the up and probably at potentially its highest point on the pitch under his tenure. Possibly a bit too early for eulogies yet knowing how things have ebbed and flowed during his journey with GTFC. As seen on Twitter #gtfc.. we must be the first football club ever to have a Non Non Chairman. And unfortunately it solves nothing when it comes to conflict of interest regarding the new stadium as he remains the club's largest creditor and shareholder. It matters not a jot whether he's there daily or not when it comes to funding of public money. That square is still to be circled.

Always admired his dogged and generous commitment to the club while being frustrated with his results on and off the pitch. This isn't the end of JF and GTFC but it could be the beginning of the end. Definitely time for new blood on the board and fresh ideas.. maybe IH has got one or two ideas up his sleeve..

Indeed.  The Fenty era is slowly coming to an end so it seems. It is like he weaning himself off the thing that has taken hold of his life and no one can begrudge him that.

I am far more excited about the part of the statement that gives the impression that Ollie will be the man to take the club forward.  I am hoping it is not just players who are queuing up to play for him but also professionals in terms of expertise and investment .

I guess this is part of the reason for Ollie's PR drive - to take the town as a whole with him as he seeks to rebuild the club. Great stuff and how we all deserve to look forward to a brighter future.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 181
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2020, 11:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I agree Bigdog. It does nothing to end the conflict of interest issue - he still owns the club so could still benefit from any decision he takes in council that affects the club.

Still, the role he has on the council is a demanding job so I can understand it from that point of view. I hope for the sake of people in NE Lincs he makes a better job of that than he has at the football club.

It’s a step in the right direction though. He’ll be less involved in running the club. He did his best but.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 181
jock dock tower
February 26, 2020, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Perhaps this enduring saga is now moving on to the next stage.

Perhaps, this was always the scenario when Ian Holloway came to the club (with the potential of new backers?) giving JF a period to oversee the new appointment until someone else came in?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it all?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 181
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club Statement.. Fenty stepping back / down!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.