Croxton
February 27, 2020, 7:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from oochiad
I’m an exile and still travelled, I think it was the fact you can pay a tenner to watch and also the fact it was fecking freezing!

I travelled from Sheffield as usual and would assert that Ifollow has an impact on locals too. I think that the disappointing crowd was in part due to the fact that locals are a decreasing proportion of STH's. If you are an exile STH you tend to value the savings on ticket prices as a plus against travel costs. On top of that, I factor in the convenience of being able to get away tickets and cup tickets more easily.
Once you have a ST you tend to make the effort  because relatives are used to you calling in or you may be the driver for other fans. Locals can be more choosy I suppose. Are proper fans really put off by a chilly night? Ticket prices for matches like Tuesday would have a greater impact than temperature if I had to pay for other family members.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 84
Gaffer58
February 27, 2020, 7:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
If Tuesday’s game had been say this Saturday instead then I would be quite certain that there would have been 4500 there, including extra from Newport, so evening games do cost the club loss revenue. I alway s wonder why our league games don’t start at least a couple of weeks earlier in the summer to get 2 more Saturday games in and when did we last play a game on August bank holiday,instead of a league cup game on the Tuesday evening.
      Also, did anyone notice that when that storm came through a couple of weekends back Glasgow Rangers game was cancelled on the Saturday, but they them played it 24 hours later on the Sunday, this for a crowd that would have been 50 thousand, yet in our country it takes at least 10 days to rearrange including FA Cup replays, and that’s for a crowd of about 4000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 84
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 27, 2020, 11:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
The season is starting 1st  August next season

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 84
Limerick Mariner
February 28, 2020, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

And kids, my lad gets home at gone eleven o’clock for night game and personally I preferred the old 7.30pm kick off but appreciate for many that’s too early.

Re crowds and differences in Saturday’s and Tuesday and how this has changed over the years we were talking about this on the way to the game on Tuesday. One thought we had was thirty years ago there were thriving local football leagues throughout the County so loads of lads who couldn’t get on Saturday could on a Tuesday. Nowadays there is very little local football so there is no positive difference between the two days.

Plus we now have a generation brought up on day to day, wall to ceiling football on the box whereas our youth enjoyed the Cup Final, European Finals and England v Scotland hence winning the FA Cup carried such great prestige as like the Grand National it was a national treasure. Now I don’t even watch the cup final because by May sick of tv matches

Hadn't considered that - could be an important factor.

One I had considered was dockers may have been working on a Saturday but not on a Tuesday night. The other group is farmers and farm workers - they have to work during daylight if there is work to do and maybe would always attend on a Tuesday night. Fewer farm workers these days and maybe we've lost support in that group as well. Getting more STH will be the main way of boosting midweek crowds; even if the STH can't attend they'll likely pass the ticket on. A new stadium will change the midweek winter experience - it won't be the same; we'll all miss freezing hands trying to get your member out to have a urine in black hole, but at least the feet get warmed when the urine overflows onto your shoes...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 84
Rik e B
February 28, 2020, 10:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Not with the open corners plan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.