9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
February 26, 2020, 8:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Tilley with the ball at his feet is lethal, looks like one of them players you hate to play against, because you can't get it off him without giving away a foul!

Benson controls the game, and always wants the ball at his feet.

Garmston wasn't great, but still plenty of time on him, and we've been use to Glennon, who is a class above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 84
Croxton
February 26, 2020, 8:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Green is not a like for like replacement for Hanson as he is woeful against centre halfs. When playing alongside Hanson, he never reads the flick on, gambles or follows up. He has little heart , guile or USP and still gives away free kicks. Even so, he still got on the pitch before Clarke and Max!
There is an element in our support who shout encouragement to him and badly want him to come good but, with the addition of Tilley, Clarke and Grandin he simply has to take his chances better than he has lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 84
rancido
February 26, 2020, 8:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Defence were at fault for both those goals. First one Waterfall let the ball past him and Garmston lost his man. Then the second there were 3 Newport players on the left of the six yard box in space when Macca saved the first shot.

Macca never "saved" the first shot, he pushed it out giving them the chance to score from that.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 84
pen penfras
February 26, 2020, 9:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Defence were at fault for both those goals. First one Waterfall let the ball past him and Garmston lost his man. Then the second there were 3 Newport players on the left of the six yard box in space when Macca saved the first shot.

It's a little harsh on Garmston. That was Pollock's man and he just sprinted off towards the guy that Waterfall left. He does stuff like this fairly often and is exposed for pace, but seems to get away with it because he's young and we want him to be good.

Yet Macca is getting caned by the same people who he called him a hero a few weeks ago for not holding onto a 70mph shot that swerved through a load of bodies and then 3 unmarked players there to tap it in. The defence is shite and it's exposing Macca. He's not been at his best either, but there are plenty of other mistakes going on in that defence without blaming the most loyal player we have for everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 84
February 26, 2020, 9:46am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

It's a little harsh on Garmston. That was Pollock's man and he just sprinted off towards the guy that Waterfall left. He does stuff like this fairly often and is exposed for pace, but seems to get away with it because he's young and we want him to be good.

Yet Macca is getting caned by the same people who he called him a hero a few weeks ago for not holding onto a 70mph shot that swerved through a load of bodies and then 3 unmarked players there to tap it in. The defence is shite and it's exposing Macca. He's not been at his best either, but there are plenty of other mistakes going on in that defence without blaming the most loyal player we have for everything.

This gets my goat.  He wasn't very loyal when he slapped in a transfer request when dropped for a far better keeper than he will ever be.  Also I didn't see much of a swerve and 70 mph?

Reply: 34 - 84
TheultimateMariner
February 26, 2020, 9:48am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Maringer
You can't terminate a contract for no cause. We could pay it up or negotiate a settlement but, either way, he'll be getting a good chunk of money from us if he leaves. I didn't think he was bad last night, but he really has been a big disappointment overall. Looks like he's certainly lost something as he's not the hustling, bustling striker I'd been led to believe we were signing. He's not that old for a footballer. Did he get injured at Salford?

I tend to agree that Ohman will be on his way too. He's a decent enough stopper, but I've not seen anything to indicate he will be good enough with the ball at his feet for the way that Holloway wants to play.

What I meant by terminate was to give them a pay off, a bit like Ogbu and Ring I would imagine. I agree Green hasn’t looked that bad, but he hasn’t looked good enough to be a valuable asset for a team hoping to push on for next season.
With Öhman, I think he’s a great player, but like you say, I don’t think he’s good enough with the ball at his feet. I think he’s just fallen out of favour with Ollie, and should he move on, I would remember him as a player who helped us massively when we needed a good commanding defender who was good in the air.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 84
nightrider
February 26, 2020, 10:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Contrary to most i didnt rate Green in preseason nor has my opinion ever changed. Imo he got away with it having Hanson near him who was on fire (still is)
But after our great start i must have been wrong 🤣  

What I've never like about him....
A few years ago there was piece on talksport about players who 'give there all' but don't actually give alot!
Players who the fans warm to due to their perceived 'effort' but their team mates know aren't putting in a shift.
Ive never really played the game so i might be wrong about most things, but ray parlour and the like were talking about how these sorts of players exist at clubs, they even stuck a name on it and I thought Green reeked of it a long time ago. Long before his wonder strike at Chelsea!

He seems to move alot but looks more like he's doing a dance around the ball/play to make himself look better than he actually is. Surely 3 managers would see this straight away?? Obviously not?
Why would he play like that under so many managers. A professional.
I have no idea but this is the impression he's always given me

Even so I was surprised he turned up late when he'd been handed a start. Even more surprised that we've kept him as long as we have

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 84
NorthseaMariner
February 26, 2020, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Question. Why did the ref have to spend several minutes talking to 5 of their players, before eventually booking Hanson, for what appeared to me as nothing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 84
Abdul19
February 26, 2020, 10:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from nightrider

Even more surprised that we've kept him as long as we have

We've ended up with no choice really (possibly because he was injured when IH came in?). We can't bring anyone in and with Cook, Rose and Cardwell injured he gets a place on the bench by default!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 84
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
February 26, 2020, 10:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,448
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Question. Why did the ref have to spend several minutes talking to 5 of their players, before eventually booking Hanson, for what appeared to me as nothing?

Because he was a total @rse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.