9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 25, 2020, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Weird game, weird atmosphere. Good goals, comical goals, genuine disbelief at refereeing performance and the normal goal for Podge on view.

Think the very early goal threw everybody out of sync, then an extremely poor equaliser given away...Macca all day long again for me should have swallowed the through ball easily,  lovely second goal from Benson, seems ages since have seen someone curl a free kick in like that.
The third goal should have seen the game over but our substitutions/formation swap seemed to hinder us for a short while and another goal conceded coming from a shot from the edge of the box.....at that point i feared a draw but we rallied and Clark's introduction gave us that final bit of quality. Lucky deflection to seal it just at the right time.
Scored four with arguably some second choice players starting, felt we missed Glennon & Clark when in possession Clifton put a hell of a shift in and wasnt that wasteful on the ball, probably should have had a penalty when he looked to be charged in the back when in on goal.

Ref...?? I think we all like to think we are objective to some extent when maybe in reality we possibly arent...however this evening....he was terrible. The same things either ignored or given depending on the colour of the shirt, totally innocent things given as fouls, blatant fouls/ handballs not given. I can almost tolerate a ref being sh1t if he is consistently sh1t...this one i just didnt have a clue what was coming next.

Plenty of goals, 3 points.  UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 84
KingstonMariner
February 25, 2020, 11:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Take your point Ginny but I’m not bothered about their keeper, I’m concerned about whether ours is as good as we need to get promoted.

Defence were at fault for both those goals. First one Waterfall let the ball past him and Garmston lost his man. Then the second there were 3 Newport players on the left of the six yard box in space when Macca saved the first shot.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 84
hampshiremariner
February 25, 2020, 11:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,005
Gold Stars: 35
Thanks everyone for these optimistic reports. Exiled aged fans such as me appreciate the insights and humour.
We are now scoring some goals and the public has something to cheer them up. A welcome three points. Ollie is making progress and it looks like the lads are enjoying playing for him.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 84
Mayaman
February 25, 2020, 11:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I wish ifollow would get the highlights up quicker.  I woke up and wanted to watch them without knowing the score.  Not to be.  Will have to have a shufty while at work but it's not the same when you know the outcome.  Nice to see four different scorers and especially Benson who didn't do so well against Swindon.  UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 84
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 25, 2020, 11:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,513
Gold Stars: 64
Tend to agree with Moosey that in many ways it was a strange game and personally I thought we struggled tonight but now we are winning more often then not we are starting to get the rub of the green ( not Matt unfortunately) in front of their goal and we are getting goals from rebounds, directly from free kicks and the odd deflection, and how nice it is.

When I say we struggled  I should clarify that for significant parts off the game we had difficulty retaining the ball and putting them under pressure in their own half. Shows what a funny game it is when you contrast this performance with those against Scunny and Exeter when we excellent scored no goals and lost them both.

Still was enjoyable for many reasons and can’t complain after seeing us score four. Thought for the second year running at BP that Newport were average and their defence looked absolutely woeful and once Clarke came on the result didn’t seem in doubt. Not sure about the left back though!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 84
quebec38
February 25, 2020, 11:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Deserved 3 points. If we’d dropped any points here we’d have only had ourselves to blame. We are a bit ropey at the back and that definitely needs to improve. I don’t know if it’s the lack of protection from the midfield or just coaching because on paper we have a good back 4 and goalkeeper.
Pollock is great and will only get better but he could make better use of possession for me. Could probably say the same for Waterfall as well.
Another good win though and you can feel the confidence in the players growing quickly game by game. 10th placed FGR within sights now and then we’ll see where we go from there.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 84
PoutonStepover
February 25, 2020, 11:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mayaman
I wish ifollow would get the highlights up quicker.  I woke up and wanted to watch them without knowing the score.  Not to be.

Short highlights – available with a subscription for both domestic* and international fans from the later of (a) 7pm or (b) 3 hours after the final whistle, and then available free of charge from 1am the day after the game
Extended highlights – available free of charge from 1am the day after the game (all games)
Full match replay – available free of charge from 1am the day after the game (all games)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 84
Maringer
February 26, 2020, 12:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
They were the first team I've seen to put the press on us at BP since Holloway's arrival and I don't think we dealt with it particularly well. Hesitant when we did try to play it out and, to be honest, it was often just a case of making a couple of passes under pressure before whacking it upfield in any case. I don't think the midfield were supporting the defence enough in this regard. I think we could have done better, but there would have been no shame to just accept that putting it towards Hanson's head/body was relatively effective in comparison (when the referee didn't imagine a foul by him).

I think the scoreline flattered us a bit but also think that the positive approach should lead to more goals in general for us so it wasn't just luck. They had some good footballers and played some good stuff at times, especially in the second half when we struggled to win and retain the ball quite a bit.

Unlike many I wasn't wowed by Tilley. Some very skilful touches here and there but a bit lightweight and muscled off the ball too easily on occasion as well, though he received little protection from the referee. He's got the ability and it would be nice to see him more involved - I'd equate it to Vernam's performances last season where he was very much hot and cold. A lovely piece of skill near the end where he skinned those players in the box so that's the type of occasion where we need to punish the opposition.

I thought McKeown was partially culpable for their first goal, but no more so than the defenders. A lovely pass forward but both Matt and the eventual scorer had got in behind our defence without too many problems. I don't think he could have done a great deal more with their second as the shot was well-struck and came through a crowd of players. Defence once again culpable as they were queueing up to score at the back post. McKeown is certainly the newest target for those who like to have a moan. Heard some bloke on the phone after the game pretty much blaming him entirely for both goals and there was even more moaning than usual in the stand around me in the second half on just about the only occasion I can recall where he kicked a ball straight into touch when not under pressure!

The referee started off well for the first ten minutes or so but then just went to pieces. Some of the things for which we were penalised were just ridiculous and certainly helped them a lot more than us. My favourite was in the first half when Clifton was penalised for getting to the ball first and tapping it away from their player who hit the deck without a touch but was gifted a free-kick! On the other hand, blatant shoves against us were ignored.

Have to say, Clarke made such a difference when he came on as we suddenly started to retain the ball a bit better. His footwork in the area which led to Wright's goal was brilliant.

I think I'd have given my MoM to Clifton for impressive workrate and passing which was as tidy as most of the others. Benson looked a bit jaded to me. I wonder if he'll be rested by the manager shortly?

Garmston the only one who worried me today. Not sure if his fitness isn't up to scratch yet but he certainly struggled at times and gave the ball away weakly quite often. Took his goal very well, it must be said, but he rarely got up in support after that. Hopefully more to come from him but Glennon should certainly be starting as many games as possible, providing his fitness and stamina is up to scratch.

If we keep on going like this, we're going to end up with a healthy positive goal difference. Almost need to pinch myself considering what we saw before Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 84
TheultimateMariner
February 26, 2020, 12:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but Green really wasn't showing any enthusiasm whatsoever, be it in his work rate or just with the team in general. A couple of examples of this I picked up on, was when Wright's goal was scored, he just kind of stood on his own and slowly walked to the players who were celebrating. Also, at the end of the game, when the players were clapping the fans, he really didn't seem to care, and was giving a half @rsed clap to the fans. Makes me wonder, has Ollie said basically told him it's the end for him as a Grimsby player or something along those lines. Also saw a comment saying that Ohman and Green turned up late and would have started otherwise. Makes me think, will both of their contracts be getting terminated in the summer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 84
Maringer
February 26, 2020, 7:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
You can't terminate a contract for no cause. We could pay it up or negotiate a settlement but, either way, he'll be getting a good chunk of money from us if he leaves. I didn't think he was bad last night, but he really has been a big disappointment overall. Looks like he's certainly lost something as he's not the hustling, bustling striker I'd been led to believe we were signing. He's not that old for a footballer. Did he get injured at Salford?

I tend to agree that Ohman will be on his way too. He's a decent enough stopper, but I've not seen anything to indicate he will be good enough with the ball at his feet for the way that Holloway wants to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.