KingstonMariner
February 25, 2020, 10:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Win on Saturday and we could be 8 points off the play offs with a game in hand. Very much an outside chance but amazing we even have that.

Being optimistic*, Saturday's game is a six-pointer. Win that and the game in hand and it's 5 points behind them who are currently 7th.

* being very optimistic in fact because it relies on others dropping points too.

Lose and we can kiss the dream goodbye for this season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 104
Poojah
February 25, 2020, 10:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497
A few observations on our position tonight...

We’re now just 2 points behind Forest Green in 10th, who were in the play-off spots when we played them a weekend.

A win on Saturday for Town, and a defeat for EITHER Colchester or Port Vale will have us 8 points off the play-offs with a game in hand and 11 games remaining.

We’re now 22 points above bottom placed Stevenage, which must be our largest cushion from a football league relegation zone in some years (possibly 2006).

I still don’t believe we can make the play-offs, but there’s certainly a more positive complexion on things these days.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 104
Madeleymariner
February 25, 2020, 10:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Great result played really good footy in patches, still dont think our pitch is condusive to the passing game and really needs some work in the summer. Everyone had a decent game but what a difference when Clarke came on at the end, totally influenced the game and brought us back under control. Disappointed they took their booked defender off at half time as he was struggling with through balls and as likely to get a red as Hanson.  4-2    happy to see that every week even if the odd one has to be a defeat. UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 104
Ipswin
February 25, 2020, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 123614

I doubt very much that we will see Swin on here tonight!

I've been here all evening you clever girl private

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 104
essexexile
February 25, 2020, 10:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Great result played really good footy in patches, still dont think our pitch is condusive to the passing game and really needs some work in the summer. Everyone had a decent game but what a difference when Clarke came on at the end, totally influenced the game and brought us back under control. Disappointed they took their booked defender off at half time as he was struggling with through balls and as likely to get a red as Hanson.  4-2    happy to see that every week even if the odd one has to be a defeat. UTMM

Billy Clarke is class, bossed it from the wing when he came on & see what Olly sees in Tilley & Benson what a goal
But Harry MOM ran his socks off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 104
essexexile
February 25, 2020, 10:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Kris2
I like that we've become a very confident attacking side and exciting to watch. Defence can leave a lot to be desired sometimes with poor mistakes but as long as we score more goals it's all good  .

Newport seemed like they are capable of playing football but are coached to be a scrappy side that tries gamesmanship and the ref I think was conned quite a few times and intimidated into giving them more decisions than against them.

Are they coached to play like that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 104
KingstonMariner
February 25, 2020, 10:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I agree. I think tonight and the Colchester game were great examples of Ollie using the squad to its potential. The teams have been changed around a lot yet by and large it's worked, as have his subs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 104
essexexile
February 25, 2020, 10:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bit of a curate's egg of a game. Some really good stuff. Then scrappy.

Newport got their just desserts. They were playing well after that early goal and then they started all the gamesmanship. Shot themselves in the foot because if they'd concentrated on playing properly they could have got a result.

They can play but think they get dragged down into that League 2 malaise of physicality gamesmanship conning ref etc which we don't do
Pass and move forget the rest
Olly Billy Clarke breath of fresh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 104
Abdul19
February 25, 2020, 10:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 215
100% record on Tuesdays since IH took over.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 104
Marinerz93
February 25, 2020, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Fully deserved the win and Newports spoiling tactics are tiresome, the constant moaning by their support staff to the 4th official needs looking at.

Some well taken goals but we need to stop shipping goals, overall pleased with many performances tonight onwards and upwards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newport Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.