Les Brechin
February 20, 2020, 4:43pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
By recent reserves game!

Quoted Text
Ian Holloway has slammed some of his Grimsby Town players for what he described as an “awful” performance in Tuesday’s reserves game.

The Mariners’ second string drew 1-1 with Doncaster Rovers Under-23s at Blundell Park earlier this week, as Holloway looked to give some of the members of his first team squad some vital minutes.

Matt Green got Town’s goal in the second half after Rovers struck in the first minute of the game, while the likes of Ludvig Öhman, Bradley Garmston, Max Wright, Harry Clifton and James Tilley all featured.

Holloway, though, was left less than impressed by his side’s display.

Asked what he made of the reserves’ performance, Holloway told Grimsby Live: “Awful.

“They’ve learnt from that, I told them what I felt. I didn’t expect to see that because we arranged that so they could have a day of work, and they didn’t work in the first half, so I’ve made them do that today.

“Second half, don’t get me wrong, was much, much better, but I didn’t expect to see what I saw in the first half. It didn’t look like my team.

“But never mind, that happens sometimes. Sometimes you use that in a positive way, so we’ll see. It’s all about the weekend, it’s about next week, it’s all about trying to deal with game after game, and reaching a level that’s acceptable to me, that I believe we should be producing. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Holloway added: “I didn’t see anything like I wanted to see in the first 45 minutes, so for me they’ve wasted their life in that first 45 minutes.

“They’ve wasted their opportunity to show me what they’ve listened to, what they’ve learnt. They didn’t apply themselves in the right way, and I thought they knew that.

“It’s quite a vital lesson for all of us at this football club for me to get my point across of what I do expect and why I expect that. Standards of effort, and clarity of what your job is.

“That can get a little bit clouded when you feel like you’ve done quite well, and then you’re not in an arena that you probably want to be in, then you don’t apply yourself in the same way.

“That was a training session for them to show me that they wanted to be in my first team, so it didn’t go very well.”

Ahead of the game, Holloway had spoken about wanting to be given some selection headaches ahead of Saturday’s clash with league leaders Swindon.

It seems though that Tuesday’s game has made his team selection at the County Ground a lot easier.

“I haven’t got any headaches,” said Holloway. “Well, I have, but it’s of the wrong sort.”

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Superdan147
February 20, 2020, 5:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Neither was I. First half was rancid at best. I suspected a rollicking was imminent from Ollie the way he ran across the pitch at half time and straight down the tunnel. His presser today pretty much confirmed it. Our first teamers outplayed by Doncaster academy side!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
friskneymariner
February 20, 2020, 5:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Me neither,Green and Rose very poor.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
TwoLeftFeet
February 21, 2020, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
See he said in the interview last night that in a practice game on Thursday the predicted team for Sat was beaten by the reserves 3-0 Green 2 and Rose the scorers.. Guess his kick up the backside on Tues maybe worked..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
The Yard Dog
February 21, 2020, 10:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Under IH there WILL NOT BE ANY HIDING PLACE, whether it be training, practice matches or match days, you either give 100%, or you be on yer bike.
About time, this club, had someone, who has the balls, to say it as it is.

Refreshing

Everything is Ticker-T-Boo

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
fishboyUTM
February 21, 2020, 9:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
I went to the game on Tuesday for a look. Ollie was right, they played at half or three quarter pace. Players that should be busting a gut to make the first team. They made the managers decision an easy one, we do need a winning mentality all the way through the clubs teams. It's fine having a poor game, but having a poor work ethic is not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
promotion plaice
February 22, 2020, 12:19am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,994
Gold Stars: 193

On the plus side it was free to get in for ST holders and the Bovril was pretty good  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollie not impressed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.