Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Someone let McKeown know this!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 438 Guests

Someone let McKeown know this!!

This thread currently has 9,711 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
February 21, 2020, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Posh Harry
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, been watching town since 1980 and the best keeper I have seen play for us was Dave Beasant, by a country mile. Admittedly he was only here for a month on loan, but he was superb and transformed the whole of the defence and gave everyone confidence that I have not seen in any other town keeper. Never looked like making a mistake.

Yeah definitely agree with that.  I suppose his impact was highlighted even by the fact that he replaced someone who wasn't great (Rhys Wilmott), we weren't in great form when he arrived and then lost the next 3 after he lost.  Oh and the small matter that his first game was that Newcastle game.

The stats tell their own story but it was, like you say, the sheer confidence he gave everyone else.  The whole team just stepped up a good ten yards straight away as they had confidence that if it was anywhere near the area, it was his.  We never had a chance, but had we somehow managed to keep him for that season, I'm confident we would have spent the next season in the Premier League.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
Mariner John
February 21, 2020, 12:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
Bit biased, my nephew Steve Croudson was a good keeper kept out by Danny. Alas his injuries didn't help his career. Not done to bad as Lincoln's goalkeeper coach. Lincoln !!!! why Steve why  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
February 21, 2020, 3:10pm
Guest User
The thing is, this 'pushing' the ball out and 'punching' the ball out needs to stop.  It's only in the last few years that this has become the norm, goodness knows why!  It would be interesting to compare stats with the two different ways of of dealing with shots/crosses but I suspect that would be very difficult to set up.  Would be very nice to see more Keepers catching crosses and holding onto shots, instead of keeping the ball in play and possibly dropping it at an opponents feet.
Reply: 32 - 41
rancido
February 21, 2020, 3:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 123614
The thing is, this 'pushing' the ball out and 'punching' the ball out needs to stop. It's only in the last few years that this has become the norm, goodness knows why! It would be interesting to compare stats with the two different ways of of dealing with shots/crosses but I suspect that would be very difficult to set up.  Would be very nice to see more Keepers catching crosses and holding onto shots, instead of keeping the ball in play and possibly dropping it at an opponents feet.

I must take issue with this. My bother was coached by George Tweedy in the early 1950's. There was two bits of advice George told my brother that he often recalled to me - the first was that if you thought you couldn't catch the ball  then punch it as hard and as far as you could. The second was that if you went up to punch the ball and you was in competition with their centre-forward , then make sure the hand that wasn't punching the ball was pushing the back of the head of the centre forward!. When my brother questioned the ethics of this second point, George said " Then you'll never make a professional goalkeeper , son " !
As far as Macca is concerned then I agree that he is a good keeper at this level but he has two major faults that would see him caught out at a higher level ie League 1. He is poor in commanding his area to high crosses and he never seems to set-up his defensive wall properly for free kicks. His reaction saves are second to none and his positioning is also very good but the two weaknesses I pointed out will find him caught out far to often at a higher level.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2020, 9:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Funnily enough I think he’s been better coming for crosses this season but has reverted to letting the ball cone back off his body when “shot stopping” which is something he’d really improved in his game.

Whatever you may think he’s as good as you get in League 2.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
Mayaman
February 23, 2020, 2:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Seems they got into his head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
MarinerRob
February 23, 2020, 9:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
The second goal he didn't seem to know what was going on. He just stood and watched rather than getting over to try and stop the bounce off the post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Abdul19
February 23, 2020, 9:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Mayaman
Seems they got into his head.

Yeah, cheers Les!  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
Les Brechin
February 24, 2020, 8:41am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah, cheers Les!  

Yeah, in hindsight maybe I should have just left it alone but I don't think it would have made a great deal of difference to the outcome of the game at the end of the day.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Garth
February 24, 2020, 12:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Someone tell him to watch out for Podge Tuesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Someone let McKeown know this!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.