Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Someone let McKeown know this!!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 217 Guests

Someone let McKeown know this!!

This thread currently has 9,708 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
February 20, 2020, 11:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,709
Gold Stars: 27
Nigel Batch was fantastic!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
Ruston AT
February 20, 2020, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10
A bit cocky aren't they? Don't they know we're from Grimsby?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
RichMariner
February 20, 2020, 3:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I'm fairly certain that when McKeown no longer plays for us, and we rip through about three keepers in search of a pair of steady hands, we'll look back and consider how lucky we were to have such a dependable and loyal goalkeeper represent our proud club for so long.

Nobody is perfect. McKeown is an excellent goalkeeper at this level. Rather than pick at the few weaknesses he has, I'd rather focus on his strengths and remember how many excellent saves he's made for us at crucial times to almost earn points single-handedly.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
moosey_club
February 20, 2020, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Or the other way of looking at it is that he saved the first shot.

and thats not the attitude that should drive a professional footballer........constant improvement should be the aim....practice practice practice, technique technique technique........Macca has some top drawer stuff in his locker....but his failings remain constant....won't come for crosses, doesnt command his area or back four well enough.....eventually those traits cost us goals.
If you become complacent you are going backwards, by thinking saving the first shot is enough then you become complacent.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
KingstonMariner
February 21, 2020, 8:41am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s not a question of being complacent. As PP, or was it Rancido?, the GK was left exposed by the defence and they left two players unmarked.

No one’s immune from criticism, especially not Macca, but the didn’t see a howler.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
Tommy
February 21, 2020, 9:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from KingstonMariner
It’s not a question of being complacent. As PP, or was it Rancido?, the GK was left exposed by the defence and they left two players unmarked.

No one’s immune from criticism, especially not Macca, but the didn’t see a howler.

Not wanting to be too critical of Macca here, but I think if it was any other keeper from another team there'd be some more objective views on this.

It wasn't a howler and I don't think anyone really is suggesting it was that bad an error, but if you push the ball straight out into the middle of your 6-yard box, you're asking for trouble. Can't agree that the defence left him exposed. Push the ball out wide of the goal and the opposition either don't get chance to knock in a rebound, or they're doing it from a difficult, tight angle.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
diehardmariner
February 21, 2020, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
From memory, since Danny Coyne we've had the following 'keepers....

Aidan Davison (2nd spell) - Awful, almost tarnished the memory of a few years before
Andy Pettinger - Young kid, I thought he did ok but had a nightmare away at Notts County and I think that was his last game?
Alan Fettis - Decent enough, deserved better than what was in front of him.  Seemed to get a bit of abuse because of the Hull connection if I recall right?
Anthony Williams - Enough said
Steve Mildenhall - Absolute class
Phil Barnes - Mckeown like really. Great shot stopper, couldn't deal with crosses and suspect distribution
Gary Montgomery - Didn't see much of him.
Nick Colgan - Oh dear
Wayne Henderson - Class above
Mark Oxley - Too young, exposed.
Kenny Arthur - Decent, injury prone.
Richard O'Donnell - Very good, could tell he would play higher.
Dean Henderson - Best 'keeper I've seen in a Town shirt, by a mile.  Should be England's No 1 this summer.  But even he had an error in him.

Then there's the odd game back ups like Jonathan Hedge and I've probably missed a few loan players from the Newell/Woods era.

But that list, which goes back 18 years...I reckon there's 4 'keepers better than McKeown.  3 of which were on loan (both Henderson's and O'Donnell) and came from higher levels.  I think all from the top two divisions in fact.  Mildenhall the only better one that was actually our player.

I don't think McKeown is perfect, I do think his length of service seems to give him a little bit of extra room for error with some, as does the fact he's the last man standing from the promotion side.  But I think we would do well to improve on him at this level.  I've not seen a 'keeper at this level that has really made me go 'wow' for a long time.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
jamesgtfc
February 21, 2020, 10:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,947
Gold Stars: 190
Best keeper for me was Danny Coyne. Dean and Wayne Henderson were good but Coyne was doing it two levels higher.

Macca is a good shot stopper. He has his flaws but any keeper who is still playing in League 2 at 30 will do. I'm sure when Macca leaves, he will be a tough act to follow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
Maringer
February 21, 2020, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Tommy

It wasn't a howler and I don't think anyone really is suggesting it was that bad an error, but if you push the ball straight out into the middle of your 6-yard box, you're asking for trouble.

Didn't hurt Paul Robinson too badly who made a career out of saves like this. Obviously, he would have been better at the other goalkeeping stuff than McKeown to have a high level and international career for so long, despite his flaws!

I think some people expect too much from McKeown sometimes. In the 4th division, you just have to make the save first of all and then worry about where the ball is going after that. If you've got the time to push it wide to safety, then do so, but just make sure that the first one doesn't go in. We've seen him make so many ridiculously good saves over the years that they almost get forgotten and the odd error that every goalkeeper makes on occasion is what is remembered. Despite his flaws, he wins us a lot more points each season than he costs us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
Posh Harry
February 21, 2020, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, been watching town since 1980 and the best keeper I have seen play for us was Dave Beasant, by a country mile. Admittedly he was only here for a month on loan, but he was superb and transformed the whole of the defence and gave everyone confidence that I have not seen in any other town keeper. Never looked like making a mistake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Someone let McKeown know this!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.