10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2020, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Times have changed since we were in the Championship. There seems to be a greater desire for ‘experiences’ now. People are more into going to live events. Look at the growth of festivals over the last 30 years. If we were only getting 5-6000 two divisions higher with the bigger clubs away followings that shows the attendances have kept up pretty well.

5000 season tickets seems ambitious. But how do we know unless we dig deeper into the subject.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 94
nightrider
February 24, 2020, 11:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I love harping back to the 90s....
Afew weeks before Bonetti arrived we managed to muster 3993 against premiership Watford. On a Saturday. In early September. 3993. You can't blame that on our performances can you - the season hadn't long started.
I wonder how many Watford brought. More than Morcambe I'm sure
Mind you, they all turned up a few months later for the 5th round FA cup tie against premiership opposition didn't they.....
I think this was a few months after Buckley left.

I wonder if the directors at the time might have pushed abit harder for promotion if theyd had more support through the turnstiles?
I've said it before, looking back we were a quick/cheap proposition for a Jack Walker / John Shelton Fenty ahem type to turn into a premiership team
10th the season before. A top striker to replace mendonca for a season, a keeper and another real top class player alongside bonetti (who the fans had to buy anyway) would have EASILY done it. This would have cost nothing. Christ Bonetti would have cost the club nothing baring in mind the extra 2000 he put on the gate
As it was even though we had a crap start, were still reeling from buckley taking half the club, without our best player mendonca, lacking a goalscorer and an experienced manager, we were still only 90mins away from going top just before christmas!

But, why would the men in charge put the money in there pocket when a 4th div club takes roughly the same in gate receipts as a good 2nd div club 😂  This was banded around at the time and there was probably an element of truth in it. Fenty isn't the first to penny pinch. He was just the unlucky one who was lumbered with a worst set of circumstances
Lots of protests about those in charge at the time but looking back was it them or was it the town not supporting the club??

Anyway I digress 🤣🤣🤣  I like the positivity and some good posts but I just don't see the attendance ever improving regardless of how good we are. I'd love to be proved wrong. Would love to be in a full stadium every game and i hope it ends up happening

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 94
Boris Johnson
February 25, 2020, 12:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
5K is ambitious,  its a really important last stage of the season, Ollie/Town musty finish strongly, and I think there is rightful optimism in the air.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 94
NorthseaMariner
February 25, 2020, 12:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Too many in the area are Man U and Liverpool fans, and only watch them on the tv. Probably too lazy to get to Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
February 25, 2020, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Too many in the area are Man U and Liverpool fans, and only watch them on the tv. Probably too lazy to get to Blundell Park.

The same problem exists in every area of the country unless their team is in the Premier league, and even then they have a lot of armchair fans of the big 6.

However there are still thousands of fans out there to be targeted.

When I did business at the club during the Buckley years the lack of fan numbers drove them to distraction and it was true - the level of home support in the second tier was more or less as it is today.

We have had periods were home support was much higher but it seems today we are much more renowned for away support.

I suppose we have to tackle it on all fronts- the Ollie effect,more effort from the club,good summer signings, news on the new stadium and sensible improvements and cleaning of BP will all help.

A promotion challenge next season would surely see 6k crowds on a regular basis.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Realistic season ticket target 5k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.