10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
February 22, 2020, 3:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not saying they can afford to lower prices but aside from waiting an age to get served, the prices in the bar at BP aren’t exactly cheap and football fans are creatures of habit.

The Imp may be shut but those fans found elsewhere to drink. There’s pubs within in walking distance, grantees they’re not on top of the ground but still...folk will stick to routines.

We have local businesses who could operate a fan park type bar thing. We’ve the spaces in open corners and use some of the car park...

As many have said, the club have never really reacted to things and the same folk have been clueless for twenty years, intercourse all will change. It’s a mindset shift needed...will we get it? Forgive me for being pessimistic...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 94
bedders78
February 22, 2020, 4:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Lets see them reduce the prices for kids with a full paying adult even if they restrict this offer to the Main stand and this on the understanding it`s THE designated family stand.

Why restrict it to the Main stand? My kids have always love being in the Pontoon with the singing, the quiet of the Main stand would never have attracted them

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 94
aldi_01
February 22, 2020, 5:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Must admit, the restrictive nature of selling tickets is bizarre.

As a student I couldn’t have a discounted ticket in the Findus yet I’d sat there forever, becauee they only sold student ST in the pontoon. flipping bizarre thinking.

Ended up just getting a junior ST....

If people sit in upper and want a junior or whatever, sell them it.

I can’t imagine other grounds have restrictions like that...which again highlights the issues aren’t just the stadium, more the clueless custodians...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 94
ska face
February 22, 2020, 5:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,338
Gold Stars: 820
Quoted from rancido

To get back to the original thread , I don't think 5,000 ST sales is achievable at BP but certainly a figure of about 4,000 is. The best way to increase ST's is better performances on the pitch with a realistic prospect of promotion and definite plans for a new ground. Regardless of what you do to BP IMHO you will never achieve 5,000 ST sales. This is nothing to do with being negative or can't do approach but a realistic appraisal of what is on offer and what can be done to improve that.

I’d say it’s an overly simplistic and reductive summary of the reasons why people go to watch football and the situation we are in. When Buckley was in charge and we were finishing in the top half of the Championship, we were pulling in significantly more home fans?

There are plenty of other factors that influence people’s decisions (or ability) to go to a match, so this attitude that the club have of “oh well leave it to the football gods” is backwards & lazy for me. Especially nowadays when if you want to watch football you can do it anywhere, any time, and you don’t have to pay £20 to sit in the cold to do it.

Why do more people turn up to watch derby matches or against teams where there’s a rivalry? The quality of football doesn’t automatically get better does it?

For me, you control what you can control and don’t leave it down to chance, especially if we’re talking about selling season tickets. If you do a good enough job of selling STs in the summer, you don’t have to break your b0ll0cks every week convincing people to stump up on Tuesday nights in February.

It’s helpful having Holloway in for next year as you can take it as given that we’ll be playing more attractive attacking football. That’s one part of it, now every other part of the experience needs looking at.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 94
grimps
February 22, 2020, 5:49pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I just heard Ollies interview , he didn’t sound very happy  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 94
Stadium
February 22, 2020, 8:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from aldi_01
Must admit, the restrictive nature of selling tickets is bizarre.

As a student I couldn’t have a discounted ticket in the Findus yet I’d sat there forever, because they only sold student ST in the pontoon. flipping bizarre thinking.

Ended up just getting a junior ST....

If people sit in upper and want a junior or whatever, sell them it.

I can’t imagine other grounds have restrictions like that...which again highlights the issues aren’t just the stadium, more the clueless custodians...

This.
Totally antiquated ticketing system.
E ticketing must be an option for the club to cut costs and provide a better service for customers(that's the modern word for fans)
Many complain here about been out the area and unable to purchase online and print at home-instead trying to work out last posting dates etc.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 94
Mariner John
February 23, 2020, 12:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
Why oh why do we have to pay Ifollow to listen to an interview, it's just not on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 94
Sammo
February 23, 2020, 10:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +171
Cannot not seeing us getting anywhere near to 5,000 season tickets for next season even with the positive impact Ollie has made since he arrived on and off the pitch. Especially not at the current prices.

I think the club needs to think about the fans of the future maybe reducing season tickets to £50 for under 16's or one free with two full priced adult ST and not restricting this just to the Main Stand like the family tickets are. My son went to his first game last season and wants to go to every game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 94
aldi_01
February 24, 2020, 7:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
As many have said, even buying a ticket, even online is antiquated. I’m not using a platform like Seetickets but it’s impossible not to realise how simple it was buying Wembley tickets...

The restrictions make zero sense either, why on earth limit where folk can sit etc. If a bloke wants an adult the offer is a free u16 ticket, why restrict it to the main stand. That bloke has probably sat in the Findus or pontoon for years.

I think after 9 pages we’ve established that the club have missed the opportunity to capitalise after huge success, the slight increase in profile may not be enough and facilities along with antiquated ticketing, and possibly pricing are what is likely to stop us shifting 5000 STs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 94
psgmariner
February 24, 2020, 9:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from nightrider
Going off what I've read on the internet, our best season was 83/84. Nearly made it to the top flight
The following season in what was the championship with some big clubs, even with all the optimism of the previous season our average attendance was only 6400. Long before 24/7 football the internet and the ability to watch all our games on the tv
In my living memory it was 94/95 season. 10th in the championship. Great team. Good football. Lots of optimism, could we push for the premiership. It doesnt get much better. The season that followed our average was 6200. Crap.
Forgotten what I was getting at actually  
Crap story but I'll tell it anyway. Cos I can.  I remember we played Norwich about 96ish. Good times. Norwich had a really good exciting team,  a premiership team, i think they won the league that year They sold out the osmond. Loud. Probably some in the home ends too. Attendance? 5400. Basically, to answer the op question. 5400 minus 2000..... surely we were selling more than 3k season tickets?  
In the championship under Buckley we were getting less home fans that we had last week against Morecambe. Fact. It was embarrassing/annoying for alot of games. Really bad atmosphere unless we were playing one of the big clubs on a warm sunny day - otherwise most football fans weren't interested
Attendances have been crap for at least 40years

Some uncomfortable home truths in this post. All this big club for the league nonsense and we struggled to get 5000 home fans in the championship. Selling 5000 season tickets in league 2 seems fanciful to me. A new ground will increase attendances but not by much.

Private Message
Reply: 89 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Realistic season ticket target 5k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.