Realistic season ticket target 5k

This thread currently has 11,362 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 22, 2020, 10:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
I live down south and don't get to BP very often, I see Town away much more. The last couple of times I've been to BP it has struck me how rough it has become, it is a bit of a dump compared to many other grounds I've been to recently. Case in point: Orient is an old ground but they've done it up and it doesn't have the rusty turnstiles and general air of decay that BP has. Entering BP behind the main stand feels more like going to the allotments with your grandad than entering a football stadium.
If we were to stay at BP we would have to spend a lot of money and way more than doing up the loos! As much as a new ground would cost? I don't know, I'm not an architect or builder.
Things have changed so much in people's expectations in the past 20 years or so and it's reasonable to expect decent food, decent loos, things being clean and tidy and that you are generally warm and dry (warmish, it's a football ground!).
And in support of Fenty (and this is not something I do very often) he has regularly said that BP hasn't the space and infrastructure to support commercial activities that would generate extra income. There is no way on earth that I would have a business meeting at BP!
To really move ahead it's going to cost a lot of money and if we have to spend that money a new ground looks like the best option.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
ska face
February 22, 2020, 11:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,554
Gold Stars: 838
Quoted from lukeo
Who you bring up a god point about the pontoon.. Is this something the club could get a quote for and we fans look into funding?? The majority of fans wouldnt be happy for the club to throw money at it.

No. Again. Stop with this please.

People need to stop volunteering the fanbase to fork out for the club’s benefit.

If the club can afford to see £200k a year to disappear into Directors’ pockets, they can afford to invest in the only asset they actually have.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
aldi_01
February 22, 2020, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Fans already stump up plenty of cash over the course of a season and aside from an emotional rollercoaster we get little back...where’s our director/s pocket 200k becauee it can’t be spent on players.

May be not can’t but some of that could’ve contributed to keeping BP at least decent in terms of offering even temporary toilets or more than a lick of paint here or there. The club have allowed it to deteriorate chasing a dream that is no where near a reality so far...

We really need to stop suggesting fans could contribute to things...yeh, may be a few fans would offer to help paint etc but expecting fans and suggesting fans stump up cash is getting daft...no wonder the club sit back and let us do it...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
rancido
February 22, 2020, 12:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from aldi_01
Fans already stump up plenty of cash over the course of a season and aside from an emotional rollercoaster we get little back...where’s our director/s pocket 200k becauee it can’t be spent on players.

May be not can’t but some of that could’ve contributed to keeping BP at least decent in terms of offering even temporary toilets or more than a lick of paint here or there. The club have allowed it to deteriorate chasing a dream that is no where near a reality so far...

We really need to stop suggesting fans could contribute to things...yeh, may be a few fans would offer to help paint etc but expecting fans and suggesting fans stump up cash is getting daft...no wonder the club sit back and let us do it...

These are repayments on loans from the Directors to keep the club going but I'm sure you will counter that with " they should have been gifts in the first place ".

To get back to the original thread , I don't think 5,000 ST sales is achievable at BP but certainly a figure of about 4,000 is. The best way to increase ST's is better performances on the pitch with a realistic prospect of promotion and definite plans for a new ground. Regardless of what you do to BP IMHO you will never achieve 5,000 ST sales. This is nothing to do with being negative or can't do approach but a realistic appraisal of what is on offer and what can be done to improve that.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2020, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
I live down south and don't get to BP very often, I see Town away much more. The last couple of times I've been to BP it has struck me how rough it has become, it is a bit of a dump compared to many other grounds I've been to recently. Case in point: Orient is an old ground but they've done it up and it doesn't have the rusty turnstiles and general air of decay that BP has. Entering BP behind the main stand feels more like going to the allotments with your grandad than entering a football stadium.
If we were to stay at BP we would have to spend a lot of money and way more than doing up the loos! As much as a new ground would cost? I don't know, I'm not an architect or builder.
Things have changed so much in people's expectations in the past 20 years or so and it's reasonable to expect decent food, decent loos, things being clean and tidy and that you are generally warm and dry (warmish, it's a football ground!).
And in support of Fenty (and this is not something I do very often) he has regularly said that BP hasn't the space and infrastructure to support commercial activities that would generate extra income. There is no way on earth that I would have a business meeting at BP!
To really move ahead it's going to cost a lot of money and if we have to spend that money a new ground looks like the best option.

BP should never have been allowed to fall  into the state you describe.

It is the only saleable asset we have and it looked better 25 years ago.

Things are at last looking up in so many ways but ground maintenance (apart from the legal minimum) is yet another area were the current board have badly let us down.

Once the footings are in place for a new stadium is the time to neglect the old one.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
aldi_01
February 22, 2020, 1:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We had our chance a few years ago in May 2016 to increase our ST sales and we didn’t capitalise.

I’m sure some boring girl private will come along and say there’s no proof of that but a faint look across the water, down the road and just some general common sense would tell you people would’ve e been caught up in the excitement...

It’s unlikely to sell many more than 3k now and that’s simply down to the performances and those fans who disagree with the regime of the club. Improve on the pitch, we may see an increase.

I’d still like to know what makes a bloke who’s been going regularly suddenly buy a ST, conversely, what makes someone who likes football but not necessarily town suddenly invest...because let’s face it, we get shot all financially from it...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
Posh Harry
February 22, 2020, 1:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34

BP should never have been allowed to fall  into the state you describe.

It is the only saleable asset we have and it looked better 25 years ago.

Things are at last looking up in so many ways but ground maintenance (apart from the legal minimum) is yet another area were the current board have badly let us down.

Once the footings are in place for a new stadium is the time to neglect the old one.

A football stadium in good condition is worth the same amount as a football stadium in poor condition. Both are going to knocked down for housing so makes no difference to the value.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2020, 2:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Posh Harry

A football stadium in good condition is worth the same amount as a football stadium in poor condition. Both are going to knocked down for housing so makes no difference to the value.

Maybe so in purely financial terms but it goes beyond that.

It is our main asset now and is likely to be for many years to come, so what exactly is the point of letting it decay?

You won't be attracting many floating fans if the facilities aren't up to scratch.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
1mickylyons
February 22, 2020, 2:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I have read this thread with interest and some excellent points have been raised. However they have been raised numerous times before and the Club have failed to act thus far. The Club need as much additional income as possible and to achieve this requires a sea change in attitude and vision from the Board . I know for a fact the MT have raised many of these issues previously and more than once and been met with a no can do attitude and believe it or not our majority shareholder was NOT the main obstacle? If we could get some proper dialogue and be listened to I see no reason why we can`t significantly increase that average home gate.

One of the key things nobody seems to have mentioned is the self ticket scheme? Now if that was tweaked and made properly attractive to exiles and shift workers in terms of reward 500-1000 sales should be achievable . The IH effect will see Season ticket sales go up in my view but again be great if the Club went for it and actively targeted new fans whilst also rewarding old fans. Lets see them reduce the prices for kids with a full paying adult even if they restrict this offer to the Main stand and this on the understanding it`s THE designated family stand.

How about an offer to current Season ticket holders of if they renew before the Season ends they get £50 off or they can get a voucher for a new home shirt. Also if they introduce a mate or a new Season ticket holder they get the same again.

The food and drink the money goes to outside caterers (I understand this is being looked at) but outside the ground with the Imp now long gone we have very little and inside the ground it`s crowded and hard work getting served or getting to the toilet. 3 Open corners to go at with some imagination and the honesty to go with stating look this is the best we can do til we move most fans will back that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
February 22, 2020, 2:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from Posh Harry

Not to the fans inside it.
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Realistic season ticket target 5k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.