Bigdog
February 19, 2020, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner
The problem is that for so many years we've had this mentality that shifting the same number 2500-3000 is good.  We've seen it as a success if we shifted slightly more than the season before, even if it was 1 ticket.  

We've had countless 'feel good' moments in the last few years but failed to capitalise once on them.  The biggest one was 2016.  We had 12-13,000 at Wembley to watch us in the most enthralling and captivating manner, yet we did nothing to tap into that.  Let's presume that we sold 3,000 season tickets for that season and I'm going to speculate that as the figure of mugs (I include myself in that bracket) who will trudge down to the ticket office every summer and hand over their money for that little stub book.   Taking them out of the equation, we had 9,000-10,000 potential new customers for season tickets.  Potential new customers have just experienced the absolute high of football- whatever you think of the play-offs, it's the best way to win promotion (and also the worst way to miss out).

Had we really built on that over that summer, we may have easily reached 5,000 tickets.  But we didn't.  To the best of my knowledge we didn't even really try.  We did nothing to capitalise on the feel good factor but also nothing different to attract new custom.  We just churned out the same Zebra finance leaflets and that token sheet which basically gives you a free programme and 2-4-1 at the Farmhouse....which already does 2-4-1 anyway.

If we put the same product out, we're always going to get 3,000.  Despite what John Fenty thinks, it's not enough to just do the PR on the pitch.  Don't get me wrong, what's happening on the pitch is exciting and it will help.  But this club needs to approach things differently, in a way that isn't stuck in a timewarp.  

5,000 is achievable.  The club just have to change their mindset beyond accepting something as the norm.

What won't get 5,000 is sending renewal letters out, updating the official site page here and there and then having Steve Wraith do an interview once a month with the Telegraph saying how we've 'smashed' ticket sales but then not giving an actual figure

I don't have the answers.  I have ideas that I think would help improve things but they're ideas that are floating around in my mind, they're not guaranteed to work.  
This thing about matchday experience, what is that exactly?  Are we talking about the facilities that we have at the ground?  Because that's easily fixed in my eyes.....classic example, the toilets at the back of the Main Stand.  Both the gents entrances are in the pathway to bars.  It's far from ideal, causes congestion and isn't particularly nice.  The ladies toilets appear to total about 2 and that I can see there's a single disabled toilet.  Again, this an idea and hasn't gone any further than transferring from my brain to the keyboard but why did we not just either knock up a new toilet block in the large corner between the Pontoon and the Main or bring in something temporary?

I don't for a second think that having better toilets will bring people into the ground but we hide behind this matchday experience as a legitimate excuse for our failings when it comes to attracting fans.  The matchday experience is something we can control.  Our catering is crap, let's do something about it.  People made suggestions, the club came back with excuses.  People want proper ale before the game, are the club moving on this?  We've got 3 massive corners between stands that we could be utilising for this matchday experience yet instead we use it as a car park, somewhere to put a mini-bus and a storage point for training goalposts.  

If fans want a better 'matchday experience' lets do something to improve it then.  

If people are seriously put off coming to Blundell Park because of the parking situation then lets think about how we can change that.  Can we do a park and ride that's effective, can we link in with the local council to make it plausible?  Can we link in with Stagecoach so it's cost effective?

The problem is that we've got the same people with the same train of thought coming up with the same excuses.  As a result we get the same weak attempt at a sales push and the same average sales.  I'd wager a bet that with no promotion other than just putting the prices out there, we would sell 2,500 tickets every summer because it's the people who've always done it.

Said this for a while, the club need to appoint a proper Chief Exec, someone who's got experience and skills to move the club forward.  I'm sure the current occupants of a lot of roles at the club are nice people doing their absolute best, but be it because they're stifled or they're just not that way inclined, they don't have enough creative outputs.   This is an area that the club have to invest in.

Bring in temp toilets then?  Pretty sure I've been to quite a few grounds in recent years that have had temp toilet facilities which were far better than the ones in the Main Stand.   Festivals, marathons etc.  They all don't have a permanent toilet block yet the somehow manage it.

We've been hiding behind this excuse for 25 years.  Yes, we need a new stadium.  But we haven't got one and despite the current favour within the local council for one, we don't have a guarantee for one in the near future.

You saying it's a sticking plaster like it's a bad thing.  Are you advocating we just do nothing in the hope we get a new stadium?  That's the approach that has contributed to where we are now, in my opinion.  Surely it's better to address the issue at hand!

Cracking posts Diehard. Taken the words right out of my mouth.

Can do attitude needed.

Bournemouth in the Premier League - can do attitude
Barrow back in the Football League - can do attitude
Leicester winning the Premier League - can do attitude
Operation Promotion - can do attitude
The long way back for AFC Wimbledon - can do attitude

If personnel at the club can't, then get someone else in that can. We haven't had a manager with as much charisma as IH since Lawrie Mac and look what happened to the gates then. 5k season tickets is a bit of a push but why not? Well over 4k is certainly achievable in the present circumstances. IH is a marketers dream. A full grown up explanation of how much the extra sales will be vital to a genuine promotion push pointing to the calibre of players IH has already attracted this January window and we need more of their ilk rather than resorting to cheesy straplines. The cessation of record season ticket sale messages which turn out to be another modest 200 sold etc which always seems a bit tinpot. This club has been stuck in the "part of the furniture" mode of doing things they've always been done for far too long. There's a massive chance for a wholesale change of approach. Ticketing system, ticketing pricing, an uplift in the quality and modernity of catering and introduction of craft beers should be at the top of a very long list for a start..

And just another off the cuff thought.. How about the club find a sponsor to cover the cost of providing and cleaning a few hundred GTFC fleece blankets to be handed out to our oldest, youngest and disabled supporters on the colder matchdays and nights?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 94
ska face
February 19, 2020, 7:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,557
Gold Stars: 838
We must be the only club in the country that thinks the only way of putting another 2000 on the gate is to move grounds. Unfortunately that’s been the thinking for 20 years now...
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 94
aldi_01
February 19, 2020, 8:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ska face
We must be the only club in the country that thinks the only way of putting another 2000 on the gate is to move grounds. Unfortunately that’s been the thinking for 20 years now...

Meanwhile a team with an equally beleaguered stadium down the road spent a few grand jazzing it up and capitalised in the renewed interest...6000 STs later...were still a bottom 6 side and they’ve gone up to league 1...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 94
mimma
February 19, 2020, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Have we ever sold 5,000 season tickets before?  No, but neither had the wimps before the Cowleys so why not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 94
headingly_mariner
February 19, 2020, 10:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,317
Gold Stars: 113
Lincoln have absolutely shown what is possible in terms of season tickets.

For people to say we have cheap tickets is absurd. They’re more expensive than all of our local rivals. The latest price rise nearly put me off buying one again, it felt like a kick in the teeth after us being so excrement.  

I buy one in spite of the things the club does. They really should capitalise on the good feeling and make having a season ticket attractive. None of our tickets should be above £300.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 94
KingstonMariner
February 19, 2020, 11:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Got to be worth a go hasn't it?

I was drunk off when 'we' were happy with 3000 season tickets sold for the 2016-17 season because it was 300 up on the previous season's 2700. Off the back of Op Promotion that showed a lack of ambition.

Down side of more season tickets is the loss in revenue IF we were to get the same attendance at normal prices. The benefit is it gives budget certainty to the manager in the Summer transfer window. And it means we're less reliant on you know who's 'guarantee' to underwrite £325,000 worth of overdraft.

The mere fact of going for an ambitious target and making progress towards it creates a sense of excitement and expectation that spurs on more demand. No one likes to be left out. Look what happens when it starts to look like we will have a big away day.

What would make me buy a season ticket? I only get to a handful of home games a season. I'm probably not the target market. Ideally if I could have a ST that I could share with other family/friends who attend infrequently. Collectively we wouldn't go to anything like 23 home games a season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 94
mimma
February 19, 2020, 11:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
The upturn in anticipation around town is unbelievable. Season ticket holders that had had enough and wasn't going to renew, are now saying they are definitely renewing. Then there are those that haven't had one, or are former ST holders, are now saying they will get a new one next season. There are also a lot of families that are getting ones to take their kids for the first time.

It looks to me that for the first time there is genuine anticipation that there is a real sense of optimism around the area, and we are about to part of something big, and it,s down to Ollie and the brand of football he wants, and a belief that we are at last going to move to our ancestral home land.

"reasons to be cheerful - part two"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 94
lukeo
February 20, 2020, 6:31am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,302
Gold Stars: 135
Simple things can help. Get IH to be the driving force and the face of it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 94
supertown
February 20, 2020, 8:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Non of the investment/ground improvement has helped scunny’s cause
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 94
pen penfras
February 20, 2020, 10:17am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Lincoln have absolutely shown what is possible in terms of season tickets.

For people to say we have cheap tickets is absurd. They’re more expensive than all of our local rivals. The latest price rise nearly put me off buying one again, it felt like a kick in the teeth after us being so excrement.  

I buy one in spite of the things the club does. They really should capitalise on the good feeling and make having a season ticket attractive. None of our tickets should be above £300.  

Can't find any data for the latest season, but what I can find from a couple of years ago is that our cheapest season ticket is at the top end of prices (5th), but our most expensive is at the bottom end (19th). Most clubs seem to have a big difference between the cheapest and most expensive tickets, whereas there's not much difference in ours.

It's similar with matchday tickets. Our cheapest was 10th highest, but our most expensive was only 50p higher than the least expensive.

I suppose this makes it harder for people on lower incomes to be able to go to the matches vs other clubs, but can we really justify increasing the price of the most expensive tickets to offset the lower end price like other clubs have?

So when you're talking about it being more expensive, you're only talking about the cheapest prices. Overall, we're about middle for season ticket prices and low for matchday tickets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Realistic season ticket target 5k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.