jimgtfc
February 12, 2020, 8:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from gobby
Back at 0145, 400 miles for 90 minutes of football must be mad but it is Town! Yes a little dubious over IH selection to start and felt uneasy when we went one down but total respect to the 11 out there who fought against a good side in poor conditions. Obviously CV MoM but the work rate of Benson, Tilley and Glennon in the middle of the park was exceptional. Nice to have been part of the vocal 270 who witnessed an astonishing goal by Charlie, but we do need a song for the lad. Great day/night with more to come.
UTMM

“Super Charlie Vernam” surely!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
KingstonMariner
February 12, 2020, 8:51am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jimgtfc

“Super Charlie Vernam” surely!

Was just thinking the same.

Keep it simple. Unless Les has got another ‘Omar, Omar’ gem in his locker.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
diehardmariner
February 12, 2020, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Kris2

Seen this one bought up a couple of times in the last week but nobody was complaining at the time he was sent on loan. He was lacking in confidence and the time on loan seemed to help him a lot as he could work on his game away from the eyes of our fans. He's somebody where you could tell there is a good player in there it just takes the right things to bring him out of his shell. I still don't think the decision to send him on loan at the time was wrong and it's in the past anyway, he's doing really well under IH and that's all that matters. We've had players before who didn't do well that went on to flourish under another manager and vice versa with players labelled as trash by other team's fans who went on to be really good for us.

Yeah, agreed.  Loan spell was just what he needed, be it to give him a wake up or build his confidence.  Whatever it was, it's played a key role in his turnaround.

Similar to when Jack Lester went on loan to Doncaster many moons ago.  Couldn't really get going in the Town team, despite showing promise, came back a different player and really kicked on.  

Essential now that we just tie him down to a new deal. As great as the hat-trick was the attention that will come from the solo goal, it raises his profile to other clubs.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Caveman
February 12, 2020, 9:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Was just thinking the same.

Keep it simple. Unless Les has got another ‘Omar, Omar’ gem in his locker.

As a young lad I remember ,

Charlie is my darling, my darling, my darling
Charlie is my darling, the young chevalier

Replace the last three words with, say," and he's a Mar-in-er ""

Couldn't be more simple !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Tommy
February 12, 2020, 9:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yeah, agreed.  Loan spell was just what he needed, be it to give him a wake up or build his confidence.  Whatever it was, it's played a key role in his turnaround.

Similar to when Jack Lester went on loan to Doncaster many moons ago.  Couldn't really get going in the Town team, despite showing promise, came back a different player and really kicked on.  

Essential now that we just tie him down to a new deal. As great as the hat-trick was the attention that will come from the solo goal, it raises his profile to other clubs.

The difference here being that Jack was loaned out to get him some first team experience to help him in his development and to help prepare him for our first team.
Vernam was loaned out because the Manager didn't rate him or trust him, and it was the start of CV being shipped out of the club.

I think Anthony Limbrick deserves great credit for the turnaround in CV. Getting him back here almost immediately after he took caretaker charge. The run of games (starts) he gave him. The confidence was growing. But then I do think Holloway has taken it now to another level, with his man-management and the trust/belief he seems to instill in players.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
diehardmariner
February 12, 2020, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
Going back best part of 25 years but I thought Lester was a similar position.  Laws didn't seem to rate him and was using him sparingly (at best) and to be fair he had done very little in his limited appearances to suggest he would be the player he turned out to be.

Kenny Swain brought him back into the fold and he was a far improved player.  Then under Buckley the next season he went to the next level, albeit with a still quite shocking goal record for us.  

Totally agree on the Limbrick/Holloway points.  Perfect storm at the right time for the lad.  
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Jarmo.Is.God
February 12, 2020, 10:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Good to finally see Tilley get time, and for me, I can see why Holloway rates him, he will be massive next season IMO.

When he has the ball, you genuinely have no idea what he's going to do, so quick and clever with it at his feet! one I'm excited about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
norfuk mariner
February 12, 2020, 11:06am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
What a night. Whilst Vernam's third goal was exquisite, I thought first goal was also brilliant where we made so many quick first time passes and left Colchester for dead. It took my breath away.  So refreshing to see two teams playing football. We will hold our own against any team in our division who do. Felt like we were back to the AB glory days.

Scary to see such a new stadium in the middle of nowhere with only 2500 home fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
KingstonMariner
February 12, 2020, 11:20am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Caveman

As a young lad I remember ,

Charlie is my darling, my darling, my darling
Charlie is my darling, the young chevalier

Replace the last three words with, say," and he's a Mar-in-er ""

Couldn't be more simple !

Bit before my time. I’m guessing 17th/18th century.
Which of the Stuart’s was that one about? Chuck II or (Bonny Prince) Chuck ‘III’? 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
norfuk mariner
February 12, 2020, 12:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Even simpler ; To the tune of The Pink Panther

Vernam Vernam
Vernam Vernam Vernam
Vernam Vernnnnaammmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.