Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Club not for sale..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 201 Guests

Club not for sale..

This thread currently has 11,914 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2020, 7:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog
To allay any fears of yet another false dawn regarding a new stadium and avoid any more prolonged conjecture, I'd like to think that the interested parties, GTFC, NELC, The Freemen Of Grimsby, architects and property developers could get their heads together and come up with a bare framework of a plan by the summer. Something the public of NE Lincs and the wider fanbase of GTFC can all get behind and buy into. If bringing the plan to reality requires public money flowing in from the Government to back up its election promise to the northern heartlands, then so be it. It's about time places like Grimsby get their fair share for once. An immediate outward impression of extreme urgency is required from the boardroom to capitalise on the initial feelgood factor that IH has brought with him.. he can't do it all on his own..

You missed out the most important enablers..... the financiers!

Building a few starter homes on the land that BP sits on won’t drive the revenues needed to relocate.

Still not clear where the what 20/30 million will come from for this.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 84
Rik e B
February 2, 2020, 8:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
If it a 'community stadium' like the council allude to with other uses we can possibly tap into Government funding of which there already some we know about about and probably more with the 'levelling up' of investment in the North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 84
Limerick Mariner
February 2, 2020, 9:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
People with money, influence and power usually like to leave a long-lasting legacy of their achievements (and ego).

A new stadium and/or town-centre fits into this.  Not sure where this takes us but decisions made on emotion rather than logic should not be ruled out.

If Fenty delivers a stadium at Freemo all the excrement before will be forgiven, unless we do a Chesterfield or even, worse a Darlo. And provided it doesn't look like a Scunthorpe United subbuteo stadium...

We need a 5k seat posh stand with exec boxes and 200 place banquet / conferencing. A 4k seat away end to milk the yorkies for when we get back to Sheffield Wednesday's level. A 4k rail seat Pontoon that will be a mini-version of Dortmund's awesome home end and produce a wall of noise, and then a small 3k seat cheap stand down one side for now, which can have a second tier added once we reach the Premiership. I'm thinking that will be on the day Manchester United are relegated. It's 70 years since we played them and I've concluded we'll never play them in my lifetime...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 84
Bigdog
February 2, 2020, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You missed out the most important enablers..... the financiers!

Building a few starter homes on the land that BP sits on won’t drive the revenues needed to relocate.

Still not clear where the what 20/30 million will come from for this.

Purposely left out the perennial elephant in the room, private and enabling funding Herts. I know there's a massive black hole that doesn't tally with the bold claims coming from JF in a recent interview and now the programme notes too. Quite a bit of tongue in cheek with my original post and more of a challenge for JF to prove it's not hollow words yet again. Suddenly we've gone from a one in one out transfer window to making a 30m stadium appear financially. Really doesn't stack up does it? And unfair to raise fans hopes time and time again by someone who can't leave 2m in the club kitty for the greater good and publicly humiliate potential investors for not coming up with greater sums than he's ever put in himself and not expecting them to be paid back unlike what he's demanding for himself.

If JF can back up his big talk then it will be great for everyone and a feather in his cap, but I just can't see it unless Boris finds a covert way to chuck 30m the club's way or the board saddle the club with a huge bridging loan for years to come for it to own its own stadium. Only other way is for the council to come up with the funding/free enabling land.for the club which seems highly unlikely.

Call me cynical, but I still don't envisage sitting in a new stadium down Freemo in my lifetime and JF's words are just hot air yet again..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 84
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2020, 10:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

Purposely left out the perennial elephant in the room, private and enabling funding Herts. I know there's a massive black hole that doesn't tally with the bold claims coming from JF in a recent interview and now the programme notes too. Quite a bit of tongue in cheek with my original post and more of a challenge for JF to prove it's not hollow words yet again. Suddenly we've gone from a one in one out transfer window to making a 30m stadium appear financially. Really doesn't stack up does it? And unfair to raise fans hopes time and time again by someone who can't leave 2m in the club kitty for the greater good and publicly humiliate potential investors for not coming up with greater sums than he's ever put in himself and not expecting them to be paid back unlike what he's demanding for himself.

If JF can back up his big talk then it will be great for everyone and a feather in his cap, but I just can't see it unless Boris finds a covert way to chuck 30m the club's way or the board saddle the club with a huge bridging loan for years to come for it to own its own stadium. Only other way is for the council to come up with the funding/free enabling land.for the club which seems highly unlikely.

Call me cynical, but I still don't envisage sitting in a new stadium down Freemo in my lifetime and JF's words are just hot air yet again..

Yeah but that’s because you’re not with the programme of positivity. The money’s going to come from......somewhere. Like the ‘northern levelling up’ money which GTFC is a top priority for.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 84
ska face
February 2, 2020, 10:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from Rik e B
If it a 'community stadium' like the council allude to with other uses we can possibly tap into Government funding of which there already some we know about about and probably more with the 'levelling up' of investment in the North.

What’s that then?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 84
Bigdog
February 2, 2020, 10:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yeah but that’s because you’re not with the programme of positivity. The money’s going to come from......somewhere. Like the ‘northern levelling up’ money which GTFC is a top priority for.

On the pitch I'm totally signed up to the programme Kingston. I'm not gullible enough to think that leopards can change their spots, IH can grow magic money trees or suddenly turn muppets into messiahs off the pitch though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 84
MarinerDevil
February 2, 2020, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Ipswin

It works OK for Colchester (on worse gates than ours too) Don't forget how much you save on stadium upkeep etc

Colchester's owner has also sunk £22 million into the club since taking over in 2006 and they consistently lose money.  They moved into their new ground in 2008 and have gradually declined since.  

Moving into a new stadium would certainly be morale boosting and would be fantastic for the Freemo area if it kick-started regeneration, but there's no evidence that I can see that renting your main facilities does you any financial favours at all.  Coventry, Ipswich, West Ham, etc have not benefited from it.  Granted, Man City are an exception but they are backed by a state's wealth fund.   A 'community' stadium would also need to be multi-purpose and there might need to be compromises on design that might not result in the best football experience.  

I'm in favour of a new stadium as we badly need infrastructure improvements but unless there is some tangible benefit to be gained from it, I'd rather do up BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 84
Rik e B
February 2, 2020, 10:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Well Ska the Greater Grimsby Project I believe can be molded around the stadium to pay for what otherwise would be massive additional infrastructure costs and I'm sure council have alluded to being able to get hold of a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 84
aldi_01
February 3, 2020, 8:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Funding this is the biggest problem and question that nobody has ever asked, neither have we been given anything like a real explanation...instead people have been more concerned about what bloody food we’re gonna sell in this imaginary stadium.

I can’t see any large sums of cash coming from central government, whatever that buffoon claims. Nor does the council have much spare cash.

A community project can work, providing its done correctly and possibly with the deal that should the club wish to purchase after so many years, they can. City did something similar.

But ultimately, just how will the money be found. Not sure a few of us finding a tenner down the back of a settee will help...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Club not for sale..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.