Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Ethnophaulism discussion

This thread currently has 3,040 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
January 30, 2020, 1:32pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It's easy for idiots to scoff at what the French went through from 1940-44 when we live in a country with a 20 mile moat around it and we were in the fortunate position to have radar stations set up which was 100% the key to winning the Battle of Britain and avoiding the Germans invading us too.

I object to being called an idiot for something that started off as a bit of banter.  This is why I don't like politics in forums.

Reply: 10 - 45
January 30, 2020, 1:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Nothing to do with Black_and_White_Bear using an offensive/racist term to describe our latest signing. No, it's all Kingston's fault.

OMG, really!  It's a well known bit of banter, not racist in anyway, and is actually factual.

Reply: 11 - 45
GYinScuntland
January 30, 2020, 1:40pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Maringer

The alternative was to be slaughtered en masse. The French army was utterly beaten (as was the British Expeditionary Force) and had suffered much greater losses than the Germans (or the British, for that matter). A lot of it was down to poor leadership as the soldiers certainly fought as hard as they could - the German losses of troops and equipment showed this. Almost a million French troops were liberated from camps in Germany at the end of the war so it's not as though it was a barrel of laughs for most of them. Not to mention tens of thousands who died as part of the resistance.

Bad leadership and tactics leads to bad outcomes. Just ask the allied troops in Singapore who suffered so much following that needless surrender.

Better than fighting though eh? Unlike our young men who after Dunkirk dusted themselves down and got stuck back in, not to mention the tens of thousands of Jews eagerly rounded up by their own traitorous countrymen and shipped to their doom in the death camps of Poland and Germany.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
Rik e B
January 30, 2020, 1:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
The past is the past, I grew up in the eighties with all that 'bloody Germans' narrative but after working there for a while a came back with a totally different viewpoint; what a wonderfully welcoming country and people who we could learn a thing or two from about taking a bit of pride in our surroundings (not a bit of litter in sight in two weeks over there and immaculately presented homesteads throughout, well, barring the East which was a bit poverty-stricken looking, bare breezeblock etc)

As I said to a German colleague over there I befriended who mentioned one of us English seemed to dislike them, it's nothing to do with him or the current generation what Hitler did and anyway the German people were tricked and draconianly forced into following him. I said its akin to black people hating me because I'm white and the injustices of slavery all those years ago -nothing to do with me personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 1:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from 123614

OMG, really!  It's a well known bit of banter, not racist in anyway, and is actually factual.

Calling a black, French player a "surrender monkey" has no racial connotations? And that's before we consider the "surrender" part of your xenophobic insult. It's not banter. If you met him in person would you call him that? No, You wouldn't. I bet some of your best friends are black aren't they?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 45
TownSNAFU5
January 30, 2020, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Some 25,000 French civilians were killed on D-Day oor soon after.  The French Resistance were also very brave and fighting against the odds.

More personally,  I did a walking race in France (Roubaix) in the 1990s.  I can still remember the tasty food given to us free.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
January 30, 2020, 2:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rik e B
The past is the past, I grew up in the eighties with all that 'bloody Germans' narrative but after working there for a while a came back with a totally different viewpoint; what a wonderfully welcoming country and people who we could learn a thing or two from about taking a bit of pride in our surroundings (not a bit of litter in sight in two weeks over there and immaculately presented homesteads throughout, well, barring the East which was a bit poverty-stricken looking, bare breezeblock etc)

As I said to a German colleague over there I befriended who mentioned one of us English seemed to dislike them, it's nothing to do with him or the current generation what Hitler did and anyway the German people were tricked and draconianly forced into following him. I said its akin to black people hating me because I'm white and the injustices of slavery all those years ago -nothing to do with me personally.

I found it completely different, having served there in the British Army during the Cold War.  Our local bakery manger made it clear she didn't like the British, and I was once accosted in a quiet little bar where we went to eat by a German soldier who was serving in the German forces at the time.  Yes there were good people who were friendly but also a lot that were not.  (BTW, draconianly is not a word.)  
Reply: 16 - 45
Rik e B
January 30, 2020, 2:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Thanks, don't have time to spellchecker everything and first thing that came to mind 🤭

Was that East Germany? Vastly different attitudes I hear, I didn't stick about there to really meet anyone, just straight from B&B to job then moved straight on to West where stayed the rest of two weeks. And they were very Anglo friendly (the odd anti-English neanderthal -there was one meathead we worked with and his couple of taggers on who just grunted at us and angrily cursed in German at us all the time at the slightest thing who clearly despised us)

Maybe times have changed or maybe I visited a quite touristy area (Baveria).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
January 30, 2020, 2:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Calling a black, French player a "surrender monkey" has no racial connotations? And that's before we consider the "surrender" part of your xenophobic insult. It's not banter. If you met him in person would you call him that? No, You wouldn't. I bet some of your best friends are black aren't they?

Yes, my best friend in the Army was black and still is my best friend after 50 years. and his nickname in the Platoon was Snowball, was not a problem for him at all, maybe Army banter is a bit too much for civilians, but it is certainly NOT racist.,   I see that you tried to take the monkey part out of context by making it bold, ( I corrected it for you) .  The actual whole phrase is 'cheese eating, onion wearing, surrender monkey, and is not racist at all.  Racist Definition:  "A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

Reply: 18 - 45
January 30, 2020, 2:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rik e B
Thanks, don't have time to spellchecker everything and first thing that came to mind 🤭

Was that East Germany? Vastly different attitudes I hear, I didn't stick about there to really meet anyone, just straight from B&B to job then moved straight on to West where stayed the rest of two weeks. And they were very Anglo friendly (the odd anti-English neanderthal -there was one meathead we worked with and his couple of taggers on who just grunted at us and angrily cursed in German at us all the time at the slightest thing who clearly despised us)

Maybe times have changed or maybe I visited a quite touristy area (Baveria).

Oh no, we were not allowed to go into East Germany, I was stationed in a town Called Celle in Northern West Germany.
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ethnophaulism discussion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.