January 29, 2020, 12:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from 123614

Who, the surrender monkey or Robson?

The Frenchman. Confirmed by IH in his post match interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2020, 10:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 123614

Who, the surrender monkey or Robson?

You talking about the nation that dominated continental Europe for hundreds of years and had an empire second only to our own?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2020, 12:27am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rik e B
You'd never have guessed you love Europe Kingston... 😅

As for Grandin; a stopgap to bulk out the squad and bring competition for places till the end of the Season at which point Ollie can seek out more long term options?

And/or reward Grandin with another year if he's proved himself useful?

Ollie's been thrust into a job with an immediate brief window, he might be lumping for faces that are tried and trusted with him without having the time to do full due diligence on everybody he doesn't know personally given the shirt time frame available and all his many other tasks to be on with.

Im sure our scouting network isn't extensive!

Just can’t stand lazy stereotypes Rik* And that lame old Yank thing about the French is just about the most historically inaccurate balderdash around - and if Cousin Jonathan had any manners he’d remember that but for The help of Frere Jacques, he’d still be singing God Save the Queen.

* Mind you, as Jimmy Carr (I think it was) said ‘people go on about lazy racism as if that was the really bad thing. What we really don’t want again is a load of very active racists.’

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
January 30, 2020, 10:03am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You talking about the nation that dominated continental Europe for hundreds of years and had an empire second only to our own?

Yes I am, those that surrendered to the Germans just 7 weeks in to the 2nd World War, then made peace with the Germans.  However, my post was a little bit of banter, I don't wish to be embroiled in political discussions.
Reply: 4 - 45
January 30, 2020, 10:09am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Just can’t stand lazy stereotypes Rik* And that lame old Yank thing about the French is just about the most historically inaccurate balderdash around - and if Cousin Jonathan had any manners he’d remember that but for The help of Frere Jacques, he’d still be singing God Save the Queen.

* Mind you, as Jimmy Carr (I think it was) said ‘people go on about lazy racism as if that was the really bad thing. What we really don’t want again is a load of very active racists.’

Are you referring to the French surrender to the Germans?

Reply: 5 - 45
Maringer
January 30, 2020, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from 123614

Yes I am, those that surrendered to the Germans just 7 weeks in to the 2nd World War, then made peace with the Germans.

The alternative was to be slaughtered en masse. The French army was utterly beaten (as was the British Expeditionary Force) and had suffered much greater losses than the Germans (or the British, for that matter). A lot of it was down to poor leadership as the soldiers certainly fought as hard as they could - the German losses of troops and equipment showed this. Almost a million French troops were liberated from camps in Germany at the end of the war so it's not as though it was a barrel of laughs for most of them. Not to mention tens of thousands who died as part of the resistance.

Bad leadership and tactics leads to bad outcomes. Just ask the allied troops in Singapore who suffered so much following that needless surrender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 10:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Maringer

The alternative was to be slaughtered en masse. The French army was utterly beaten (as was the British Expeditionary Force) and had suffered much greater losses than the Germans (or the British, for that matter). A lot of it was down to poor leadership as the soldiers certainly fought as hard as they could - the German losses of troops and equipment showed this. Almost a million French troops were liberated from camps in Germany at the end of the war so it's not as though it was a barrel of laughs for most of them. Not to mention tens of thousands who died as part of the resistance.

Bad leadership and tactics leads to bad outcomes. Just ask the allied troops in Singapore who suffered so much following that needless surrender.

It's easy for idiots to scoff at what the French went through from 1940-44 when we live in a country with a 20 mile moat around it and we were in the fortunate position to have radar stations set up which was 100% the key to winning the Battle of Britain and avoiding the Germans invading us too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 45
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 12:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Well done Kingston for turning a thread about a new player into a discussion about the Second World War ffs !!!

Nothing to do with Black_and_White_Bear using an offensive/racist term to describe our latest signing. No, it's all Kingston's fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 45
rancido
January 30, 2020, 12:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Rik e B
You'd never have guessed you love Europe Kingston... 😅

As for Grandin; a stopgap to bulk out the squad and bring competition for places till the end of the Season at which point Ollie can seek out more long term options?

And/or reward Grandin with another year if he's proved himself useful?

Ollie's been thrust into a job with an immediate brief window, he might be lumping for faces that are tried and trusted with him without having the time to do full due diligence on everybody he doesn't know personally given the shirt time frame available and all his many other tasks to be on with.

Im sure our scouting network isn't extensive!

I think Grandin will be a similar situation to Clarke - a contract until the end of the season and if you prove yourself then another season. I have it on very good authority that Clarke wanted 18 months but Ollie said "prove yourself and we'll see".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ethnophaulism discussion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.