Trawler
January 30, 2020, 12:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/financial-loss-2-24-million.102247/

Could be difficult times ahead for the imps.

Clive Nates on Twitter today “We all still have ambitious targets. It just means it's a different model that could take some time to transition to, is admittedly more difficult to succeed under but offers far more sustainable upside. In any event we were always going to need a period of consolidation.”

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2020, 12:20am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Some exceptional costs because of promotion (player bonuses, transfer fee add ins) according to the Price of Football thing on the Twitter. But also that year they had £1m compensation for the loss of the Cowleys to Huddersfield. Previous year they lost over £1m.

This year’s accounts will be telling. Are they going to end up like Scunny spending beyond their revenue or cut back (and risk dropping back down).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 8:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
How much have they invested into their new training ground opposite RAF Scampton?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 30, 2020, 9:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
These clubs are like councils - brilliant at obtaining the grants and finance to “invest” in new buildings and facilities but useless in raising the finance to maintain and use them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
diehardmariner
January 30, 2020, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
My thoughts were very much like Golly's, how much is a result of investment in the training facility off the A15?

If that's what has caused it, fair enough.  That's an investment.

But if they've spaffed it up the wall on signings who were only good enough to take them to midtable of League One....that's a big risk.  I don't think they're in anything like a relegation scrap, but the teams below them all have games in hand and it wouldn't be unheard of for a team in their position to get dragged into it.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 9:41am

Whiskey Drinker
I do think they've spunked a lot of money on players and staff too. Seems they are going down the Peterborough model of investing in players who potentially have a sell on value. Seems like they invested to get to League One where they can attract better young players and will now tighten the budget.

I read somewhere that they got £1m for the Cowley's and a third of that amount went to the Cowley's themselves in lieu of performance bonus,

And they have clearly spent money on their new portacabin-less training ground. And they have plans to nearly double the size of the Stacey West Stand to increase capacity even though they are further along with new stadium plans than we are at present.

And anyway, the losses have been covered by share purchases rather than saddling the club with "benign" loans.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 30, 2020, 9:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner
My thoughts were very much like Golly's, how much is a result of investment in the training facility off the A15?

If that's what has caused it, fair enough.  That's an investment.

But if they've spaffed it up the wall on signings who were only good enough to take them to midtable of League One....that's a big risk.  I don't think they're in anything like a relegation scrap, but the teams below them all have games in hand and it wouldn't be unheard of for a team in their position to get dragged into it.

An investment? The bricks and mortar maybe but unless that facility is highly instrumental in producing saleable assets, i.e. players, then it is a white and windswept elephant and a drain on resources. As part of a long term plan to be a Championship club perhaps it is justifiable on paper but if that plan falters even slightly in terms of income then problems arise. How many more Wembley appearances would it take to generate the sort of income they have had in the past few seasons and therefore sustain the enterprise?

The temptation is to spend income immediately on players who are not worth the money  simply to stand still in the league. The real way to make investment pay is to get a super scouting network and grow your own like Brentford, but then you run the risk of sliding down before your plan works. It is a conundrum and one that Town needs to solve as well before we get into a new ground, not after.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
TownSNAFU5
January 30, 2020, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Liverpool are the masters at having an expert scouting system (they keep track of 100,000 worldwide) and being patient at getting the right player at the right time,

Lincoln have probably tried to run before they can walk.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 10:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Training ground just bricks and mortar???

What term did Clive Woodward have? Critical non- essentials.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 19
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 10:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Lincoln have probably tried to run before they can walk.  

They've invested and achieved 2 promotions (both championship winning) in 3 seasons. In that time they have sold several players on for a big profit. Even this month they have signed three 21-year olds who they obviously think can be developed and sold on for a profit.

To me that's a perfect model for a lower league club on limited means.

The difference between us and them is they invested money to sign the right blend experienced players and promising youngsters to deliver the initial success to make the model easier to work- i.e. achieve League One football. We've tried to do the same whilst the owner takes money out of our club.

We should be looking at Lincoln as an example of what we could be doing to deliver success. We can scoff as much as we want at them, but in the past couple of weeks they have played Bolton, Ipswich & Portsmouth in league matches whilst we've been playing the likes of Crawley and Stevenage.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln City shows £2.24 Million Loss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.