6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2020, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Performance worse than Exeter but great result. Terrible challenge on Hess might mean another midfielder required. Benson impressive on debut, special goal by Chas and good across the back four, especially Luda. Special mentions to Bill for the Jordan Sinnott shirt and Luke Hendrie for a bit of shithousery with Westley who thoroughly deserves to be a non league manager.
Private Message
bigdavemariner
January 28, 2020, 10:24pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
Was stood waiting for a urine at half time and the paramedics wheeled Hess out on a stretcher. He looked smashed off his mammaries on drugs

Steward was telling anyone that would listen that they think he's broken his collar bone and possibly a rib

Have to see what comes out officially as not sure the steward is best placed to make a medical assessment but Hess didn't look too good. Hope it's not too serious as I do think he's been one of our better players this year

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Les Brechin
January 28, 2020, 10:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Thought it was probably our worst performance under Ollie but a fantastic result. Their shooting was rather comical.

I see FGR got dicked at home by Carlisle tonight so we need to get a decent result against them on Saturday as they're bang out of form.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
grimsby pete
January 28, 2020, 10:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Poor first half but we were 1 up.

A bit better 2 nd half but still a lot of work needed.

Rubbish ref  but at least he was rubbish for both teams.

Cracking goal by Vernam the bright spot of the game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
GtfcGarner
January 28, 2020, 10:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Agree with you on the performance, looked like only one team wanted to play today though and it shine through in the end my match review:

Macca - Not too troubled tonight some dodgy kicking at times but saves us so many points in a season so can't grumble

Hendrie - Solid tonight although not really troubled glad we got the win for his best mate aswell

Pollock - Not really troubled again was solid enough and had a decent game

Ludvig - Controlled the back 4 for me tonight won everything and was a commanding presence hope we keep him!

Glennon - Love the lad 100% into everything and never shies away. Think he was flagging last 10-15 as their sub that came on had the beating of him but still a very positive game.

Clifton - Won us the penalty which I thought we got lucky for but nearly gave the ball away in a dangerous area at 1-0 for the 3rd week in a row. Would have rested him for Sat had Hess not got injured.

Benson - Looked very very silky with the ball a proper ball player and I think he will get better. Probably our missing link as he's a player that loves being on the ball and switching play.

Vernam - Probably one of the best games I've seen him have for town head down and run at the fullback and he is one very tricky player. Amazing goal which he deserved and got my MOTM

Whitehouse - Looks a totally different player in the hole, always making those late runs and starting to add goals to his game.

Clarke - Waved Hanson away from the penalty and converted it expertly. Was a little quieter today but he can turn a match on its head in a second.

Hanson - Looks fitter, brilliant at winning us the balls and always takes two men out the game. Should of utilised wings more as we always have him as an option.

Subs: Green - Think we will look to move him on sooner than later he will run and run for you but not a footballer for me.

Tilley - Glorious chance to make it 4-1 but didn't get time to do much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
lukeo
January 28, 2020, 10:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,366
Gold Stars: 144
Terrible game but in patches we tried to play football but admittedly we wasn't very good at it. Felt the centre backs played well. Very good goal for Charles and the new lads seemed to do ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
Hagrid
January 28, 2020, 10:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,390
Gold Stars: 529
Hansons a very intelligent player, word on number 31 wirh the ponytail for them, how on earth he didnt went 87 mins without a booking i have not a clue. At the officials from minute 1
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
monkeyboy
January 28, 2020, 10:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Ohman was great tonight .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
Maringer
January 28, 2020, 10:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
If the injury to Hessenthaler is as bad as feared, we may well need to get Robson back on loan. Would be happy enough with that, truth be told, though obviously it would be better if Hessenthaler wasn't too badly injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
LH
January 28, 2020, 10:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Short just back from me tonight cause I’m up quite early for work but were Stevenage the most unprofessional side we’ve faced since being back in the league? Looked pretty competent at 0-0 but 2-0 onwards lost their way, plan and heads on the pitch and on the bench. Good riddance if it is them who go but I can’t see anyone saving them.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
moosey_club
January 28, 2020, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Echoing most of the above, good job we were playing Stevenage as they were terrible in front of goal, felt we were wide open at times, especially first half but they just didnt have anything to take advantage.
Terrible spectacle overall not helped by their physical advantages, aside from maybe the non league Cheltenham side i dont think i have seen a bigger/taller 1-11 opposing side.
Losing Hess a loss but Benson definately caught the eye with a good range of short, long and intricate passes...if he continues in there then can see him growing into a very useful asset as his team mates will trust him more and more with the ball.

All in all we have played alot better and got nothing so a not so sparkling win i will gladly take.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2020, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just when I thought my evening couldn’t get better I’ve just watched Van Veen’s red card. Hilarious.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
ginnywings
January 28, 2020, 11:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Playing poorly and still putting three past an agricultural Stevenage is almost better than playing them off the pitch. Either way, it's another nail in their coffin and i hope they go back from whence they came.

If we beat the other non league chancers on Saturday, it will almost erase losing to Crawley....almost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
toontown
January 28, 2020, 11:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Scrappy win even though it was 3-1 but I will take that after the undeserved loss to Exeter.

Some things I loved:
A win!
Vernams goal and generally positive performance running at players with the ball- has been revitalised under Ollie.
Whitehouse getting a goal, again he has been transformed.
Ollie's reaction in the first half when we won a free kick just into the oppo half near the touchline, and after thinking about it chose to play it back towards our own goal for no reason and found ourselves under pressure and hoofing it. All from a position that could have established an attack. He went ballistic, pointing the direction they should have been going to the players. I think he is going to stamp that nonsense out.
Winning the penalty from a central midfielder making a driving run, it is this sort of play that clifyons energy and positivity should lend itself to. Yet the shackles have been on him and our other central midfielders for so long that we rarely see it. That's the sort of thing that can happen, forces the ref to make a decision and we get a penalty.
As always plenty of commitment and getting men in front of shots to block etc.
Much much quicker set ups from Macca when he wins the ball, been crying out for this!
Benson looked energetic and generally good with some nice passes.
Back above scunny haha

Some not so good:
Not a great performance generally.
Hess badly injured.
Ref bottled what should have at least been a booking for that.
Our throws tended to be poor.
Maccas kicking was poor.
We looked notably weaker when Hanson and Clarke came off and green and Tilley came on. Green tries but can't play the target man role it always bounces off him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
davmariner
January 28, 2020, 11:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
My partner was one of the people caught up in bragate so as far as I’m concerned, I’d be delighted to see these cnuts go down. Oh and Graham Westley, you’re getting sacked in the morning! You girl private.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
promotion plaice
January 28, 2020, 11:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,000
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just when I thought my evening couldn’t get better I’ve just watched Van Veen’s red card. Hilarious.

Anyone got a link, I would love to see it after the way he goaded the lower when he scored here.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
Abdul19
January 28, 2020, 11:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from promotion plaice

Anyone got a link, I would love to see it after the way he goaded the lower when he scored here.

https://twitter.com/adams_nick97/status/1222254237469618177?s=19

Be lucky to avoid a spell inside after that

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
hampshiremariner
January 28, 2020, 11:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
The bragate episode was not dealt with properly by the authorities, which is amazing in this day and age. I’m with Dav on this and would like to see Stevenage relegated purely because of this very unsavoury incident. I am still amazed that they escaped any real punishment.
I’ll take three points and am not bothered about the performance. Thanks to all on here for reporting on the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
promotion plaice
January 28, 2020, 11:57pm

Quoted from Abdul19

https://twitter.com/adams_nick97/status/1222254237469618177?s=19

Be lucky to avoid a spell inside after that

Thanks for that Abdul...karma  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
ginnywings
January 28, 2020, 11:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Van Veen is a male private but that's pathetic by Charlie Goode. Yellow, if anything.

Hess gets poleaxed and nothing given.

Just listened to Paul Hurst' post match and he is saying that the standard of refereeing is getting worse and you can't disagree with him.

Been saying for years that there ought to be more ex professionals encouraged to become refs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
Meza
January 29, 2020, 12:17am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from ginnywings
Van Veen is a male private but that's pathetic by Charlie Goode. Yellow, if anything.

Hess gets poleaxed and nothing given.

Just listened to Paul Hurst' post match and he is saying that the standard of refereeing is getting worse and you can't disagree with him.

Been saying for years that there ought to be more ex professionals encouraged to become refs.

But they won't, they rather chose media career.  For me it just feels if refs don't get the support they need.  They won't get bolloked by the FA as that will discourage them.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
arryarryarry
January 29, 2020, 12:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Overall I thought it was a poor game but great result. I did think we played some really good football at times though but just not enough of it.

It did pee me off a bit the way we fannyed around at times especially in the lead up to their goal and I couldn't understand McKeown time wasting we should have gone on to try to score more.

I know some on here dont rate Vernam but I've always thought there was a decent player in him somewhere. Tonight just showed what he can do if you keep giving him the ball in the places he can run at defenders.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
ginnywings
January 29, 2020, 1:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Meza

But they won't, they rather chose media career.  For me it just feels if refs don't get the support they need.  They won't get bolloked by the FA as that will discourage them.

They can't all have a media career post football and that is usually the domain of high profile ex players anyway. I'm talking about ex players that have played at a lower level but know the game inside out. When i played, the best refs were invariably ex players. The ones who had all the badges but had never played the game never quite got it. Some did, but most didn't.

The problem we have now is that the very few refs in the lower leagues who are half way decent get shunted to a higher level almost immediately. Some of the refs we have now in League 2 are beyond incompetent. They don't seem to understand the game at all and are easily intimidated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
Gaffer58
January 29, 2020, 7:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
After the last 2 games where we played reasonably ok and got nothing I’m happy with playing poorly but getting the points, especially against that lot, also under Ollie we seem to be getting more men into attacking positions then before where it was just Hanson trying to beat 4 defenders on his own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
bedders78
January 29, 2020, 7:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Curiously flat performance and crowd, for once we got some luck with a bundled goal, a penalty that probably wasn't (Hess compo from the ref?) and a lovely run from Charlie as the whole of the Stevenage team played statues.

The building out from the back will work better as the players get used to it, the midfield needs to spot the forward pass quicker to prevent endless fannying about and losing the ball. Clarke was excellent again, really looks a good player and reads the game well. Hopefully he can pass some of his experience on to Wright and Vernam.

Benson was ok, but hard to judge against such a crap team, but we need at least one more centre mid and perhaps 2 depending on Hess. I don't think Clifton is playing well enough to be 1st choice at the moment.

All in all it felt like a training match, albeit against a team that was trying, and succeeding) to injure ours

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
aldi_01
January 29, 2020, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The age old debate about referees has been going on for decades.

Will it change, unlikely. I, along with others on here referees for years and was relatively good, as were/are other lads on here but drives them away or stunts the development is the FA etc. The centre of excellence existed but spent more time worrying about making sure the lads were fit and could run around rather than focusing on decision making and dealing with high stress situations
Being an ex player doesn’t mean you’ll be a good referee, and in the past that’s been proven...a couple of ex players were fast tracked to football league and they were equally as bad as the others.

On to town, thought first half was poor, not a lot happening. Second half picked up, two poor teams but one slightly less poor than the other. We took the chances we had and the third settled us. We played some good stuff at times but then occasionally we were exposed. Not sure it was a penalty but we’ll take it. Vernam had a few good runs,  just needs to do that more consistently now. Still not sure Hanson brings much to the team but time will tell. Hope Hess is ok after getting clobbered.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Hagrid
January 29, 2020, 7:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,390
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from aldi_01
The age old debate about referees has been going on for decades.

Will it change, unlikely. I, along with others on here referees for years and was relatively good, as were/are other lads on here but drives them away or stunts the development is the FA etc. The centre of excellence existed but spent more time worrying about making sure the lads were fit and could run around rather than focusing on decision making and dealing with high stress situations
Being an ex player doesn’t mean you’ll be a good referee, and in the past that’s been proven...a couple of ex players were fast tracked to football league and they were equally as bad as the others.

On to town, thought first half was poor, not a lot happening. Second half picked up, two poor teams but one slightly less poor than the other. We took the chances we had and the third settled us. We played some good stuff at times but then occasionally we were exposed. Not sure it was a penalty but we’ll take it. Vernam had a few good runs,  just needs to do that more consistently now. Still not sure Hanson brings much to the team but time will tell. Hope Hess is ok after getting clobbered.

Think hanson is crucial. We’re toothless up top without him, no fight or hold up play
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Think hanson is crucial. We’re toothless up top without him, no fight or hold up play

Not necessarily. I thought our chance creation against Exeter was as good as it’s been all season with Clarke up front.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
golfer
January 29, 2020, 8:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
I know Hess got injured but tonight showed our failings and that there is a lot of work to do. We are definitely lacking a right wide player. To me the back 4, the midfield, the attack are 3 separate entities and we need somebody who can take control and be there to link all 3 together .Individually we have a good team on paper but not many prepared to take control - nothing against Macca but we possibly need a more central captain. Vernham tried to do things and Benson switched play once or twice but on the whole we seemed to be content with the easy balls and putting responsibility on someone else. Improvement needed but we still won.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
denni266
January 29, 2020, 8:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 132
Thought we played well in patches  Whitehouse looked a different player  and  vernam has come on loads this last few matches and looks a different player.  Not bothered in us looking like a team from the prem its the win that counts
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
January 29, 2020, 8:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Benson looked very good IMO

Vernam again showing us what we all knew he could do!

Would like to see Tilley given a start to find out what he's all about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 29, 2020, 8:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
I know Hess got injured but tonight showed our failings and that there is a lot of work to do. We are definitely lacking a right wide player. To me the back 4, the midfield, the attack are 3 separate entities and we need somebody who can take control and be there to link all 3 together .Individually we have a good team on paper but not many prepared to take control - nothing against Macca but we possibly need a more central captain. Vernham tried to do things and Benson switched play once or twice but on the whole we seemed to be content with the easy balls and putting responsibility on someone else. Improvement needed but we still won.

Agree with you there. I suspect Ollie does too and that’s why we have yet another wide right player coming in. Good cross from Hendry from deep for the first goal but we rarely get to the by-line down the right for a pull back cross.

There are signs that Ollie has instilled a plan for the front 3 to let the midfield come through to join in, Embleton’s goal and the penalty were well worked in that respect but once Hanson goes off there is no-one to hold it together. If Clarke had been up front last night he’d have been kicked from one end of BP to the other. With a 3 up front we do need physical presence. Vernam’ s goal was good and one or two other runs but he still disappears too often and his tracking back is unreliable. But after all that - 3 points is 3 points and 3 points more than the neighbours got last night!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
Les Brechin
January 29, 2020, 8:47am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Has anyone also noticed now, that under Ollie we are leaving a man up when we get a corner, instead of having everyone back so that as soon as the ball is cleared it comes straight back.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
Madeleymariner
January 29, 2020, 9:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Just realised Ludvig played 90 mins without even getting close to a yellow card, is he finally becoming domesticated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
Grantham_Mariner
January 29, 2020, 9:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,178
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Just realised Ludvig played 90 mins without even getting close to a yellow card, is he finally becoming domesticated

3 Yellows and a red in 12 matches !!!!!!!

Hendrie has had 7 in yellows in 25.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
ginnywings
January 29, 2020, 9:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
You don't really need to be that good in League 2 to win games and not many teams will play fast flowing football for 90 mins, especially against the more physical teams like Stevanage. It's mostly a battle, so you need players that can compete in these types of games, but have the nous to take opportunities when they come along. Our players were good enough to do that and theirs weren't.

We played better against Exeter because they were not trying to kick lumps out of us. It was a more enjoyable game as a spectacle, but we got no points. You need to have a team that can compete with all the different types of opponents, but enough clever players to take advantage of any slip ups. There is not much in it from top to bottom in this league. Confidence is as much to play as anything as we saw with Vernams goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Heisenberg
January 29, 2020, 9:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,963
Gold Stars: 93

Agree with you there. I suspect Ollie does too and that’s why we have yet another wide right player coming in. Good cross from Hendry from deep for the first goal but we rarely get to the by-line down the right for a pull back cross.

There are signs that Ollie has instilled a plan for the front 3 to let the midfield come through to join in, Embleton’s goal and the penalty were well worked in that respect but once Hanson goes off there is no-one to hold it together. If Clarke had been up front last night he’d have been kicked from one end of BP to the other. With a 3 up front we do need physical presence. Vernam’ s goal was good and one or two other runs but he still disappears too often and his tracking back is unreliable. But after all that - 3 points is 3 points and 3 points more than the neighbours got last night!

Definitely not Embleton, I’m afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 29, 2020, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

Definitely not Embleton, I’m afraid.

Yes, thanks. Whitehouse deserves better!

Sadly for him,  on the BBC it is being credited as Nugent og.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker

If Charlie's defensive play was as good as his attacking flair. he wouldn't be playing for Town.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
sam gy
January 29, 2020, 10:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Who cares about Vernam’s defensive play…he’s a forward! So brilliant to see him finally flourishing for us…feels like so long since we’ve had a player who can run with the ball like that (and score goals too!) He’s so dangerous running in towards the top corner of the box diagonally. Just hope we can now finally keep him fit.

As others have said, Whitehouse is much more improved. We weren’t great, but we still won convincingly, will take that.

Glennon for me has looked a bit suspect over the last two games…good darting forward but was caught out of position a lot last night and they seemed to be getting a fair amount of joy down the right and has played a few wayward passes. BUT he’s a young lad who we’ve chucked in at the deep end. He’ll learn and go on top have a good career I reckon…I don’t want to be over critical.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
Maringer
January 29, 2020, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Glennon looked spent in the last 20 minutes last night. He's not the biggest lad in the world and was competing against bigger, more physical players so perhaps not too surprising. As a youngster who hasn't played a lot of competitive football he might struggle with his fitness until he's a bit more battle-hardened. He didn't give up, however, and did a decent job considering he had pretty much no cover from Vernam much of the time.

Vernam's goal was one which wouldn't have been scored before Holloway came because it was the increased numbers getting forward in support which opened up the space for him. A good job he finished it well as he turned down a few chances to play the ball through to supporting players! Considering that we didn't get much good quality possession to our forwards last night, we did pretty well to score the 3 goals.

I thought that Clarke was actually pretty anonymous last night. Another one who isn't a big bloke and he was never going to be able to do anything with the ball up in the air too often but they also didn't allow much space for us in behind them at the back. Took his penalty well, however.

Is there any news yet on Hessenthaler, incidentally? Haven't heard the post-match interview or anything else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
AndyGTFC
January 29, 2020, 11:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +797
Gold Stars: 5
Didn't play well last night but have had plenty of games where we've been the better team and lost lately so it needed to start evening out at some point! Vernam's confidence is sky high at the moment, brilliant goal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 29, 2020, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
Who cares about Vernam’s defensive play…he’s a forward! So brilliant to see him finally flourishing for us…feels like so long since we’ve had a player who can run with the ball like that (and score goals too!) He’s so dangerous running in towards the top corner of the box diagonally. Just hope we can now finally keep him fit.

I bet Ollie cares! He was not happy first half when Stevenage were getting 2 v 1 down that side and should have scored twice in that little period. Vernam did track back but he is inconsistent at it. I do agree he can be a brilliant forward running with the ball, it is something we have lacked for ages.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Tommy
January 29, 2020, 11:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I know there's a good few people saying we didn't play that well, but I enjoyed it.
I'm enjoying us trying to play proper football. Yeah it's not coming off 100% of the time and yes we lost it in our own half a couple of times again last night, but if this is how we're going to try and play we need to be a little patient with it. Because we're not going to go from playing Jolley's percentage football to being comfortable in possession straight away.

Really refreshing and good to see us splitting centre-backs and playing short from goal kicks. Not just playing short but then continuing to pass it. Not just "pretending" like we want to play out by setting it up but then not going through with it, or just going back to the GK for him to launch it. That's what's happened in the past when Hurst and Jolley supposedly wanted us to play out from the back, but either couldn't coach the team to do it or couldn't inspire the players to have the confidence to do it properly. I think for about the first 10-15 minutes all Macca did was play short goal kicks or catch the ball and throw it out quickly to a defender.

In the second half it became a bit less frequent though and Macca was kicking long. I could see Holloway not happy that he wasn't giving the ball to Ohman or Pollock, so this is still clearly a work in progress and IH will still demand more bravery and trust from his players to continue doing it.

Missed the challenge on Hessenthaler as I was still walking to my seat, but I was impressed by Benson. One of the first things he did was ping a 60-yard crossfield ball into the path of Vernam. Showed a really good touch, has good awareness, can take the ball in tight areas and looked to have a decent passing range.

Our first goal was well worked across the pitch and a decent delivery to Hanson, but there were 3 players in the box for the cross. A continuing theme under Holloway of more forward runs from players off the ball and more bodies in the box when the ball is in a crossing position.

Thought Hanson played well and worked hard. Such a presence up there and looks so much more of a player when we're using him properly and giving him varied service rather than just punting high balls up to him all the time. He deals with the ball really well on the ground too.

Clarke did alright but with his lack of pace I still think he's going to be better suited playing more central, in the role Whitehouse is currently playing.
Vernam had his best/most effective game for Town I think. Fantastic goal obviously. Being picky though I want more from him. When he's capable of doing that sort of thing, we should want it more. Great credit to Holloway and Limbrick for bringing Charles back and getting him buzzing with confidence.

Glennon and Hendrie did well but Glennon tired again second half. Very physically demanding role they're now being asked to play though and no doubt Glennon is adjusting to the pace and physicality of the game still.

I was happy with Ohman and Pollock. Didn't think they were really troubled. Stevenage had a few chances or half-chances but I don't think it was particularly by playing through us or getting the better of the CB's. Probably just one mistake from Pollock in the first half where he went for a header he had no chance of winning and they flicked it past him and had a chance. But both looked good and composed on the ball, picking passes into midfield or keeping it between themselves and Macca until something was on.

I don't think Green got into the game or up to the pace of it at all when he came on. Don't really think he fits into a particular role that well in this system to be honest.
Tilley came on and whilst we'd stopped playing as much football as we were earlier in the game, he got on the ball a few times. He looks like he can manoevre the ball well, has a decent touch and technical ability. I'm interested to see more of him going forward.

Annoying to concede at the end and not get a clean sheet, but can't complain at 3 points when we haven't won many in the last few months.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just picking up on the Vernam bit. I've always been a supporter of his but clearly AL was a fan whilst Jolley wasn't.

Leads me into a conversation that a friend of mine has had with Charlie's ex PE teacher - wanted to leave because Jolley didn't like him and that several players were frustrated by Jolley's defensive mentality which included players being told to mark their man even when we had possession. This seems defensive even beyond Hurst levels.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
marinerjase
January 29, 2020, 12:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,637
Gold Stars: 147
Why do people still keep harping on about Jolley and his failings?? That ship has sailed. Should be looking forward - not back.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
January 29, 2020, 12:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just picking up on the Vernam bit. I've always been a supporter of his but clearly AL was a fan whilst Jolley wasn't.

Leads me into a conversation that a friend of mine has had with Charlie's ex PE teacher - wanted to leave because Jolley didn't like him and that several players were frustrated by Jolley's defensive mentality which included players being told to mark their man even when we had possession. This seems defensive even beyond Hurst levels.

Ollie said we have to stop marking their players when we have a throw  in their half. Confirms Jolley"s  defensive mind set.
By the way I enjoyed the game. Thought the pitch didn't help at times ball held up at times. They were trying to disrupt the game. On another day Saturday afternoon sun shining pitch green we would score more and look better.
Reply: 46 - 55
toontown
January 29, 2020, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yeah that echoes what Ollie said and seems quite incredibly defensive beyond belief. No wonder we showed so little movement when we had the ball, been complaining about that for ages. And that lack of movement leads to lack of options and ends up with a hoof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
TownSNAFU5
January 29, 2020, 1:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,863
Gold Stars: 42
Benson would benefit with an experienced pro alongside him.  Christine Keller would fit the bill. 😀

We have scored 5 goals in 4 days.  An improvement down to Ollie’s more positive and attacking approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
Why do people still keep harping on about Jolley and his failings?? That ship has sailed. Should be looking forward - not back.

Not harping on - just pointing out that Ollie has a different mindset that's more about GTFC than his predecessor and that certain players are benefitting from playing with a more positive intent.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
rancido
January 29, 2020, 1:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not harping on - just pointing out that Ollie has a different mindset that's more about GTFC than his predecessor and that certain players are benefitting from playing with a more positive intent.

Exactly! It could take quite a few training seasons to eliminate Jolley's mindset from some of the players, especially the younger one and maybe Ludwig, who could believe that was "the English way" to play.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
promotion plaice
January 29, 2020, 1:43pm

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2020, 1:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from marinerjase

It wouldn't be much of a forum if we only looked to the future would it?

All futures are unknown whereas the past can be analysed for good or ill.

I am more optimistic about the future than in a long time but as ever time will tell.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
Maringer
January 29, 2020, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Blunderside Sport have just tweeted that Hessenthaler has a cracked rib and punctured lung (!). Nasty but I'm guessing it is potentially better news than a broken collarbone/dodgy shoulder? He'll be out for a couple of months I assume?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
diehardmariner
January 29, 2020, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Progress is quite evident to see but I thought Town struggled to get going for large parts of the game but still had more than enough for a poor Stevenage side.

Very little to add to those comments already made.  Absolute shocker of a challenge on Hessenthaler, looks worse with each viewing.  I'm not sure what Jackson was hoping to achieve.  

Benson looked quality when he came on and is clearly a proper footballer.  Unfortunately none of the three on the pitch looked natural in that holding role so we'll need someone in to fill in.

Outstanding levels of shithousery from Hendrie on Westley.  Fair play to Westley, he played up to the crowd in the end.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
Gaffer58
January 29, 2020, 2:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
On the defensive side, I always thought midfielders and attacking fullbacks marked a man when the opposition have the ball but, when we have it they are to find space and make themselves available and let the opposition worry about them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.