6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 29, 2020, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Glennon looked spent in the last 20 minutes last night. He's not the biggest lad in the world and was competing against bigger, more physical players so perhaps not too surprising. As a youngster who hasn't played a lot of competitive football he might struggle with his fitness until he's a bit more battle-hardened. He didn't give up, however, and did a decent job considering he had pretty much no cover from Vernam much of the time.

Vernam's goal was one which wouldn't have been scored before Holloway came because it was the increased numbers getting forward in support which opened up the space for him. A good job he finished it well as he turned down a few chances to play the ball through to supporting players! Considering that we didn't get much good quality possession to our forwards last night, we did pretty well to score the 3 goals.

I thought that Clarke was actually pretty anonymous last night. Another one who isn't a big bloke and he was never going to be able to do anything with the ball up in the air too often but they also didn't allow much space for us in behind them at the back. Took his penalty well, however.

Is there any news yet on Hessenthaler, incidentally? Haven't heard the post-match interview or anything else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
AndyGTFC
January 29, 2020, 11:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Didn't play well last night but have had plenty of games where we've been the better team and lost lately so it needed to start evening out at some point! Vernam's confidence is sky high at the moment, brilliant goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 29, 2020, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from sam gy
Who cares about Vernam’s defensive play…he’s a forward! So brilliant to see him finally flourishing for us…feels like so long since we’ve had a player who can run with the ball like that (and score goals too!) He’s so dangerous running in towards the top corner of the box diagonally. Just hope we can now finally keep him fit.

I bet Ollie cares! He was not happy first half when Stevenage were getting 2 v 1 down that side and should have scored twice in that little period. Vernam did track back but he is inconsistent at it. I do agree he can be a brilliant forward running with the ball, it is something we have lacked for ages.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Tommy
January 29, 2020, 11:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I know there's a good few people saying we didn't play that well, but I enjoyed it.
I'm enjoying us trying to play proper football. Yeah it's not coming off 100% of the time and yes we lost it in our own half a couple of times again last night, but if this is how we're going to try and play we need to be a little patient with it. Because we're not going to go from playing Jolley's percentage football to being comfortable in possession straight away.

Really refreshing and good to see us splitting centre-backs and playing short from goal kicks. Not just playing short but then continuing to pass it. Not just "pretending" like we want to play out by setting it up but then not going through with it, or just going back to the GK for him to launch it. That's what's happened in the past when Hurst and Jolley supposedly wanted us to play out from the back, but either couldn't coach the team to do it or couldn't inspire the players to have the confidence to do it properly. I think for about the first 10-15 minutes all Macca did was play short goal kicks or catch the ball and throw it out quickly to a defender.

In the second half it became a bit less frequent though and Macca was kicking long. I could see Holloway not happy that he wasn't giving the ball to Ohman or Pollock, so this is still clearly a work in progress and IH will still demand more bravery and trust from his players to continue doing it.

Missed the challenge on Hessenthaler as I was still walking to my seat, but I was impressed by Benson. One of the first things he did was ping a 60-yard crossfield ball into the path of Vernam. Showed a really good touch, has good awareness, can take the ball in tight areas and looked to have a decent passing range.

Our first goal was well worked across the pitch and a decent delivery to Hanson, but there were 3 players in the box for the cross. A continuing theme under Holloway of more forward runs from players off the ball and more bodies in the box when the ball is in a crossing position.

Thought Hanson played well and worked hard. Such a presence up there and looks so much more of a player when we're using him properly and giving him varied service rather than just punting high balls up to him all the time. He deals with the ball really well on the ground too.

Clarke did alright but with his lack of pace I still think he's going to be better suited playing more central, in the role Whitehouse is currently playing.
Vernam had his best/most effective game for Town I think. Fantastic goal obviously. Being picky though I want more from him. When he's capable of doing that sort of thing, we should want it more. Great credit to Holloway and Limbrick for bringing Charles back and getting him buzzing with confidence.

Glennon and Hendrie did well but Glennon tired again second half. Very physically demanding role they're now being asked to play though and no doubt Glennon is adjusting to the pace and physicality of the game still.

I was happy with Ohman and Pollock. Didn't think they were really troubled. Stevenage had a few chances or half-chances but I don't think it was particularly by playing through us or getting the better of the CB's. Probably just one mistake from Pollock in the first half where he went for a header he had no chance of winning and they flicked it past him and had a chance. But both looked good and composed on the ball, picking passes into midfield or keeping it between themselves and Macca until something was on.

I don't think Green got into the game or up to the pace of it at all when he came on. Don't really think he fits into a particular role that well in this system to be honest.
Tilley came on and whilst we'd stopped playing as much football as we were earlier in the game, he got on the ball a few times. He looks like he can manoevre the ball well, has a decent touch and technical ability. I'm interested to see more of him going forward.

Annoying to concede at the end and not get a clean sheet, but can't complain at 3 points when we haven't won many in the last few months.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 12:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Just picking up on the Vernam bit. I've always been a supporter of his but clearly AL was a fan whilst Jolley wasn't.

Leads me into a conversation that a friend of mine has had with Charlie's ex PE teacher - wanted to leave because Jolley didn't like him and that several players were frustrated by Jolley's defensive mentality which included players being told to mark their man even when we had possession. This seems defensive even beyond Hurst levels.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
marinerjase
January 29, 2020, 12:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Why do people still keep harping on about Jolley and his failings?? That ship has sailed. Should be looking forward - not back.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
January 29, 2020, 12:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just picking up on the Vernam bit. I've always been a supporter of his but clearly AL was a fan whilst Jolley wasn't.

Leads me into a conversation that a friend of mine has had with Charlie's ex PE teacher - wanted to leave because Jolley didn't like him and that several players were frustrated by Jolley's defensive mentality which included players being told to mark their man even when we had possession. This seems defensive even beyond Hurst levels.

Ollie said we have to stop marking their players when we have a throw  in their half. Confirms Jolley"s  defensive mind set.
By the way I enjoyed the game. Thought the pitch didn't help at times ball held up at times. They were trying to disrupt the game. On another day Saturday afternoon sun shining pitch green we would score more and look better.
Reply: 46 - 55
toontown
January 29, 2020, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,271
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yeah that echoes what Ollie said and seems quite incredibly defensive beyond belief. No wonder we showed so little movement when we had the ball, been complaining about that for ages. And that lack of movement leads to lack of options and ends up with a hoof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
TownSNAFU5
January 29, 2020, 1:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Benson would benefit with an experienced pro alongside him.  Christine Keller would fit the bill. 😀

We have scored 5 goals in 4 days.  An improvement down to Ollie’s more positive and attacking approach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from marinerjase
Why do people still keep harping on about Jolley and his failings?? That ship has sailed. Should be looking forward - not back.

Not harping on - just pointing out that Ollie has a different mindset that's more about GTFC than his predecessor and that certain players are benefitting from playing with a more positive intent.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.