January 29, 2020, 12:17am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from ginnywings
Van Veen is a male private but that's pathetic by Charlie Goode. Yellow, if anything.

Hess gets poleaxed and nothing given.

Just listened to Paul Hurst' post match and he is saying that the standard of refereeing is getting worse and you can't disagree with him.

Been saying for years that there ought to be more ex professionals encouraged to become refs.

But they won't, they rather chose media career.  For me it just feels if refs don't get the support they need.  They won't get bolloked by the FA as that will discourage them.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
arryarryarry
January 29, 2020, 12:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Overall I thought it was a poor game but great result. I did think we played some really good football at times though but just not enough of it.

It did pee me off a bit the way we fannyed around at times especially in the lead up to their goal and I couldn't understand McKeown time wasting we should have gone on to try to score more.

I know some on here dont rate Vernam but I've always thought there was a decent player in him somewhere. Tonight just showed what he can do if you keep giving him the ball in the places he can run at defenders.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
ginnywings
January 29, 2020, 1:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Meza

But they won't, they rather chose media career.  For me it just feels if refs don't get the support they need.  They won't get bolloked by the FA as that will discourage them.

They can't all have a media career post football and that is usually the domain of high profile ex players anyway. I'm talking about ex players that have played at a lower level but know the game inside out. When i played, the best refs were invariably ex players. The ones who had all the badges but had never played the game never quite got it. Some did, but most didn't.

The problem we have now is that the very few refs in the lower leagues who are half way decent get shunted to a higher level almost immediately. Some of the refs we have now in League 2 are beyond incompetent. They don't seem to understand the game at all and are easily intimidated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
Gaffer58
January 29, 2020, 7:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
After the last 2 games where we played reasonably ok and got nothing I’m happy with playing poorly but getting the points, especially against that lot, also under Ollie we seem to be getting more men into attacking positions then before where it was just Hanson trying to beat 4 defenders on his own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
bedders78
January 29, 2020, 7:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Curiously flat performance and crowd, for once we got some luck with a bundled goal, a penalty that probably wasn't (Hess compo from the ref?) and a lovely run from Charlie as the whole of the Stevenage team played statues.

The building out from the back will work better as the players get used to it, the midfield needs to spot the forward pass quicker to prevent endless fannying about and losing the ball. Clarke was excellent again, really looks a good player and reads the game well. Hopefully he can pass some of his experience on to Wright and Vernam.

Benson was ok, but hard to judge against such a crap team, but we need at least one more centre mid and perhaps 2 depending on Hess. I don't think Clifton is playing well enough to be 1st choice at the moment.

All in all it felt like a training match, albeit against a team that was trying, and succeeding) to injure ours

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
aldi_01
January 29, 2020, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The age old debate about referees has been going on for decades.

Will it change, unlikely. I, along with others on here referees for years and was relatively good, as were/are other lads on here but drives them away or stunts the development is the FA etc. The centre of excellence existed but spent more time worrying about making sure the lads were fit and could run around rather than focusing on decision making and dealing with high stress situations
Being an ex player doesn’t mean you’ll be a good referee, and in the past that’s been proven...a couple of ex players were fast tracked to football league and they were equally as bad as the others.

On to town, thought first half was poor, not a lot happening. Second half picked up, two poor teams but one slightly less poor than the other. We took the chances we had and the third settled us. We played some good stuff at times but then occasionally we were exposed. Not sure it was a penalty but we’ll take it. Vernam had a few good runs,  just needs to do that more consistently now. Still not sure Hanson brings much to the team but time will tell. Hope Hess is ok after getting clobbered.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Hagrid
January 29, 2020, 7:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from aldi_01
The age old debate about referees has been going on for decades.

Will it change, unlikely. I, along with others on here referees for years and was relatively good, as were/are other lads on here but drives them away or stunts the development is the FA etc. The centre of excellence existed but spent more time worrying about making sure the lads were fit and could run around rather than focusing on decision making and dealing with high stress situations
Being an ex player doesn’t mean you’ll be a good referee, and in the past that’s been proven...a couple of ex players were fast tracked to football league and they were equally as bad as the others.

On to town, thought first half was poor, not a lot happening. Second half picked up, two poor teams but one slightly less poor than the other. We took the chances we had and the third settled us. We played some good stuff at times but then occasionally we were exposed. Not sure it was a penalty but we’ll take it. Vernam had a few good runs,  just needs to do that more consistently now. Still not sure Hanson brings much to the team but time will tell. Hope Hess is ok after getting clobbered.

Think hanson is crucial. We’re toothless up top without him, no fight or hold up play
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2020, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Hagrid

Think hanson is crucial. We’re toothless up top without him, no fight or hold up play

Not necessarily. I thought our chance creation against Exeter was as good as it’s been all season with Clarke up front.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
golfer
January 29, 2020, 8:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I know Hess got injured but tonight showed our failings and that there is a lot of work to do. We are definitely lacking a right wide player. To me the back 4, the midfield, the attack are 3 separate entities and we need somebody who can take control and be there to link all 3 together .Individually we have a good team on paper but not many prepared to take control - nothing against Macca but we possibly need a more central captain. Vernham tried to do things and Benson switched play once or twice but on the whole we seemed to be content with the easy balls and putting responsibility on someone else. Improvement needed but we still won.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
denni266
January 29, 2020, 8:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Thought we played well in patches  Whitehouse looked a different player  and  vernam has come on loads this last few matches and looks a different player.  Not bothered in us looking like a team from the prem its the win that counts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.