grimps
January 23, 2020, 2:22pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,114
Gold Stars: 46
The Sports paper used to hit David Willy’s Newsagents about 6.20 on a Saturday .
During the promotion seasons if you wasn’t there on time they’d sell out .
If we’d lost you could go a bit later although I’d not bother if we’d lost 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Les Brechin
January 23, 2020, 2:42pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from grimps
The Sports paper used to hit David Willy’s Newsagents about 6.20 on a Saturday .
During the promotion seasons if you wasn’t there on time they’d sell out .
If we’d lost you could go a bit later although I’d not bother if we’d lost 😂

There used to be some brilliant coverage of the local Sunday League in The Sports Telegraph too. Usually about 4 or 6 pages worth.

Nowadays the local Sunday League is dying on it's bottom and I doubt they'd fill 1 page now.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
TownSNAFU5
January 23, 2020, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
In Mablethorpe we used to wait early on a Sat night for the Sports Telegraph too arrive by van.  Always a highlight even if we had lost.  This was the only way to read a detailed account of the game and see the tables. For away games it was more important.

If the van was late my dad would bring a copy home later.  The pleasure of reading these match reports Is lost on subsequent generations.

Completely different now of course.  Maybe too much information too early,
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
grimsby pete
January 23, 2020, 3:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Les Brechin

There used to be some brilliant coverage of the local Sunday League in The Sports Telegraph too. Usually about 4 or 6 pages worth.

Nowadays the local Sunday League is dying on it's bottom and I doubt they'd fill 1 page now.

There used to be 10 divisions in the 60's when I played Les how many do they have now ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Les Brechin
January 23, 2020, 3:18pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from grimsby pete

There used to be 10 divisions in the 60's when I played Les how many do they have now ?

Just 4 Divisions left now Pete. 2 with 10 teams, 2 with 9 teams. Even going back to the late 80's, early 90's there were 10 Divisions and each Division had a minimum of 12 teams.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
rancido
January 23, 2020, 3:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

Must still have enough circulation numbers Les, unlike “Little Scunthorpe”. 😂

Maybe there aren't enough people in Scunthorpe who can read to justify a daily version!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Rik e B
January 23, 2020, 3:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'm Laceby village born and bred and bought a house in Immingham ten years ago but always associated with Grimsby and say I'm from there which often the topic of great conversation and people (apart from certain Yorkshire folk, see below) seem to speak of in a strange fondness, or else ask if it really is as Grim as it sounds.

Worked servicing fish and chip shops for a decade and the subject of getting their fish from Grimsby nearly always came up and B&B landlady's or Lords often had a story of 'going there once' or previously lived nearby in Lincolnshire but never visited and always wondered if scare stories true.

However I used to regularly go on nights out in deepest darkest Yorkshire and if a rum looking bunch of lads asked me then I'd say Cleethorpes to which they eulogize about saying they holiday there   or if they really troublesome looking I'd say something like Market Rasen to which theyd say Where's that and I'd say somewhere in middle of Lincolnshire between Lincoln and Grimsby.

(Experience tells me plenty of that bunch pipe up saying f**king hate Codheads 😬)

Oh and I was in Magaluf shortly after the Brothers Grim/Grimsby movie came out and I've never felt like reached such levels of super stardom as there when I said I'm from Grimsby and everyones eyes lit up saying they 'f**king love that movie'.

From that point forth several groups of people called me Grimsby and started cheering whenever they see me! 🤗
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
KingstonMariner
January 23, 2020, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
In Mablethorpe we used to wait early on a Sat night for the Sports Telegraph too arrive by van.  Always a highlight even if we had lost.  This was the only way to read a detailed account of the game and see the tables. For away games it was more important.

If the van was late my dad would bring a copy home later.  The pleasure of reading these match reports Is lost on subsequent generations.

Completely different now of course.  Maybe too much information too early,

I pity young people for missing out on the pleasure of deferred gratification. I think Mickey Flanagan once said something similar in one of his shows. ‘You served your time. You t***** her up for a year.’

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
gytone
January 24, 2020, 7:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
I used to love the "Football " as it was called, me and my dad almost used to fight each other for it when it came through the door at 6 o'clock. Woe betide the paper lad if it was late, bless him 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
mariner2000
January 24, 2020, 7:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yorkshire  Leicester   it does not matter Les Its not in Grimsby is my point

Its no wonder most people don't buy it now.

The Football  later named the sports telegraph was very good and I waited for it to pop through the door when I was young and tried to read it before my dad got his hands on it,  never got there first though.

No nothing printed in Leicester its now an indoor trampoline park.  I think Leicesters moved to Derby, and the Leicester Mercury is terrible too. Same poor quality stories, no proper journalism an typos in every article.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Proud to be from Grimsby

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.