5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
January 22, 2020, 3:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not sure the fact it’s printed in Leicester or wherever is the reason it’s shite...more to do with focusing on the online market, clickbait stories and people’s habits.

Up to the minute news, fake or legit, either way, you can get it instantly and that’s what people want. Cost saving exercises from newspaper distributors and subscription type approaches from the buying public...which I am aware of like having your paper delivered but still...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Limerick Mariner
January 22, 2020, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
There was always a small queue at the Angel Hotel in Brigg waiting for the Sports to arrive.

My dad also used to get it delivered and it was the picture of the Mariner that I saw first. After my dad took me to my first game, Matt Tees return in 70-71 which we won, we went on a really poor run and I was a little traumatised by the Mariner's scowl worsening over the weeks.

I got a superiority complex over Scunthorpe United fans because of the Telegraph - the big headline was always GTFC related and they didn't have the Ancient Mariner - tinpot...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
supertown
January 22, 2020, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
Moved to Blundell Park in 1898 , I guess that’s their confusion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
pizzzza
January 22, 2020, 4:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
My God! the bit about Town is awful, its like spot the error...

Quoted Text
Who could forget the Mighty Mariners?

Grimsby Town Football Club, formerly Grimsby Pelham, was founded in 1898 and has gained a cod almighty amount of supporters since its introduction.

Our team is the most successful of the three professional league clubs in historic Linconshire, and has spent more time in the English game's first and second tiers than any other club in our region.

Some of our notable former managers include Bill Shankey, Lawrie McMenemy, and Alan Buckley.

And who could forget about Ian Holloway signing as Grimsby Town manager this year!

1. The previously mentioned incorrect year we were founded.
2. "Cod almighty", it's haddock round here pal.
3. Linconshire?
4. Bill Shankey?
5. Ollie didn't sign as manager this year, he signed on New Year's Eve last year.

flipping embarrassing.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
pizzzza
January 22, 2020, 5:00pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Somebody there must read the Fishy, mistakes corrected   apart from the 1898 thing....

Quoted Text
Grimsby Town Football Club, formerly Grimsby Pelham, was founded in 1898 and has gained a cod almighty amount of supporters since its introduction.

Our team is the most successful of the three professional league clubs in historic Lincolnshire, and has spent more time in the English game's first and second tiers than any other club in our region.

Some of our notable former managers include Bill Shankly, Lawrie McMenemy, and Alan Buckley.

And who could forget about Ian Holloway signing as Grimsby Town manager on New Year's Eve 2019.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
NorthseaMariner
January 22, 2020, 6:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

I thought it was printed in Leicester now Pete? I'm surprised it's still printed daily if I'm honest. The Scunny telegraph went to weekly some time ago.

Must still have enough circulation numbers Les, unlike “Little Scunthorpe”. 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
KingstonMariner
January 22, 2020, 10:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from supertown
Moved to Blundell Park in 1898 , I guess that’s their confusion

Pretty sure it was 1899.

And know that first bit on Wiki says 1898 but that para also has the foundation year (right) so any lazy journo using Wiki must have missed that. The main sections on history and the stadium says 1899 so, like Deuteronomy*, the Wiki entry is ambiguous.

* reference for anyone who did A Man for All Seasons at school (play about Padraig Amond, subtitled, ‘the Errors of Small Men’)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Rik e B
January 22, 2020, 10:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Everyone knows it's 1878 bloody numptys!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
pkscouse
January 23, 2020, 9:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +66
Gold Stars: 3
The stories about fighting over the Sports Telegraph brought back a great memory ..........My Dad and I were always trying to lurk around the letter box trying to be the first to grab the paper as soon as delivered by the Paper Boy . One Saturday there was no sign of my Dad around six ish when the paper was due and I thought yessss I am getting it first today ............then the door opened and in came my dad with the paper and a smug look on his face , he had gone outside , walked down the street and asked the paperboy for the paper instead of him delivering it !!!
My Dad is sadly no longer with us but I bet he is still looking down laughing at this  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
The_Laughing_Mariner
January 23, 2020, 10:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
They used to have a section called 25 years ago.  Obs it used to remind us of the games GTFC and national, 25 years ago on that date.  At first I used to read about famous ex players etc, then when I started to read about games I'd actually been to I began to feel old.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Proud to be from Grimsby

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.