ginnywings
January 19, 2020, 10:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from acko338
The ref let their players get away with niggles and pushes all game but our passing needs to be a tad sharper to give players a chance, especially with harassing opponents closing down quickly.

Several moves were halted by players having to saig for the ball or it was not in front to run onto, all slowing attacks down.

That said, 2 off the woodwork, 2 excellent saves by their keeper and a goal line clearance + no penalty award makes for not much good luck in the day. Any of those counting and the players may have pushed on with more confidence.

Using pitch width better as well - all better and this will pay off as players get to know each other better.

Onwards and upwards !!

Agree with this bit. There seemed to be times when we got caught in two minds between the old regime and the new, which is understandable. The players have spent most of the season being cautious and sitting deep, playing a lot of square and backward passes. Now suddenly they are being asked to push up the pitch and be more progressive. It will take time to get used to what the new manager wants and to get comfortable with it. There will be a certain amount of indecision until it becomes second nature to move the ball quicker with one touch passing and moving. We did it so well for the Whitehouse move and shot which hit the post and one or two other occasions, but it's not quite there yet on a consistent basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
Maringer
January 20, 2020, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I'd also guess we'll be making more errors which lead to goals. I've always been pretty comfortable when we've played teams who keep possession well and pass it around. At our level, individual errors are all but inevitable so you're likely to be handed chances to break forward several times a game. The reverse holds true now we're trying to pass it around more ourselves.

The key thing is that we'll hopefully be able to convert enough of the additional chances we create with our more expansive play to score a lot more goals than we concede from it.

Initial signs were encouraging as we did play some good stuff with the midfield three all linking and passing better than they have done previously. Clarke helped a lot as his movement and positioning often gave the extra option in midfield yet he still managed to get into the box. A pity he couldn't convert one of the chances which came his way, though all were well-saved.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
quebec38
January 20, 2020, 8:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
I thought we edged the game which is impressive seeing as they are supposedly a top side in the division.
Whitehouse looked a different player, breaking forward and being able to turn and make smart, short passes in to supporting players.
Clarke seems to have the bit of guile we've lacked. He looks a clever player when he drops off and makes things happen around the edge of the box. He played a couple of particularly nice clipped balls in to the box which nearly created goals. This was also made possible by players who wanted to/were instructed to make positive forward runs. Clarke is also is a real threat in the box too. He will get goals for sure.
It could be a real struggle to pick the side next game because I feel like we have 14 or 15 players worthy of starting for the first time in a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
diehardmariner
January 20, 2020, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,070
Gold Stars: 518
It was simply enjoyable wasn't it?

Really pleasing to see as soon as McKeown got the ball he looked to throw it out to the wingers/fullbacks and start an attack.  I thought the two centre-backs were immense and strengthened the view that they are our best pairing. Pollock just gets better and better, it's almost a blessing that he doesn't have that extra yard of pace because there's no way in hell he would be here if he had.  That pass he pinged cross-field in the first half was sublime, easy to forget he's effectively a second year YT as well!

Hendrie's injuries are really showing and it's a shame because it almost feels like his performances of the previous 18 months are forgotten.  Hopefully Hewitt is fit enough to take over that role for a bit and let Hendrie heal up properly.  

Couldn't fault the midfield lads at all but there's still that genuine lack of creativity in there.  I thought Benson looked tidy when he came on and moved the ball a bit quicker so that could be something different.  

Clarke is going to be a fans favourite, his movement is something we've lacked since the days of Amond.  Really keen to see how he operates when he's fully up to speed but also in his best position.  Neither Vernam or Wright got into the game much yet we still managed to carry a threat.

Agree with the notion that the changes didn't work, even though I agreed with each and every one of them.  It won't always work.  We lost a bit of momentum but it was nice to have options.  In hindsight we were looking at two lads stepping up a level and a bloke coming back from a lengthy injury.  Always a gamble.

Says everything when we felt disappointed with the outcome against a side second in the league.  A very good side too, despite us having the better of the play you could tell Exeter's quality throughout.  

Very, very positive and a lot of hope for the future.  Just that lack of creativity in the middle to address for me and I think we'll be a force.  Don't think it will be long before that 3 in the middle becomes a 2 to free up someone to play off the striker.

Great to see a decent crowd too.  I don't think anyone went home feeling they didn't get good entertainment.  I fancy us against Crawley on Saturday and then fingers crossed for a double bumper gate against Stevenage and FGR.   Seriously feel good factor about the club at the minute, pretty much down to Holloway.  I was cagey about his appointment but happy to admit I was well off the mark with it.  Exactly what this club needed.

UTMM!
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
Tommy
January 20, 2020, 11:51am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Definitely an enjoyable game.

And isn't it refreshing to see us create chances, even in a game where we were pretty flat for much of the second half. In my opinion we haven't created enough chances in games for years. Even including the non-league days when we were winning more games, the football was usually drab and we didn't actually create lots of chances.

Obviously putting them away is the next step, but I think we'll grow into the way Holloway wants us to play and be a side that does create much more chances than we're used to.

Some changes in playing philosophy and style are evident already aren't they:

• It's clear to see already Holloway wants his full backs higher when we've got the ball.
  • We're trying to play out from the back. Macca's playing short, even from a goal-kick which he never normally does, and throwing the ball out to centre-backs or full-backs early to start building controlled possession. Previous managers have probably wanted us to play out from the back but haven't been able to get them actually doing it (usually resulting it ball back to Macca and then go long) but already we look like genuinely being able to do it and stick with doing it.
  • When we don't have the ball, the wide forward on the opposite side to the ball is told to stay high up the pitch, even if his full-back goes forward on his side. IH speaks about this in one of his Coaches Voice videos on youtube and it's something we were noticeably doing on Saturday.
  • The wide forwards staying as wide as possible (noticeably so on the opposite side to where the ball is) and allowing us to play long cross-field passes to switch play in one pass (Clifton and Pollock hitting plenty of these in the last couple of weeks).

Limbrick tried to get us playing more football in his spell in charge. And he did, but we only really achieved it for parts of games or in little spells. You get the feeling Holloway is setting out a real plan/structure to allow them to do it, and not only that, but instilling the belief and confidence in the players that they can play that way, which is a huge part of it.

Billy Clarke showed glimpses of what he'll be able to do, but isn't going to be a no.9 leading the line type forward. Did his best work when dropping deeper or wider, so he's almost certainly going to be best used as a no.10, either in a midfield 3 in a 433, or as the central supporting forward in a 4231. The latter is the role he took up once Hanson came on.
Not only could Clarke have scored 3 himself (first half left foot shot, 2nd half header and stinging shot from outside the box late on) he also could have ended up with about 4 assists by creating chances:

He played in Max Wright for his shot at goal first half.
He laid the ball off to Whitehouse before he advanced forward and hit the post.
He played Hanson in when Hanson's shot (or cross as I thought it was) was cleared off the line.
He crossed for Clifton's overhead kick that went just over.

So if our new attacking player can have this impact on our forward play in his first start for us against a top of the table side, I'm confident he's going to be a good player for us.

I too agreed with Holloways subs so I'm not going to criticise his changes. I didn't think Wright was having much impact and actually think he'll benefit from a few weeks of coming off the bench rather than starting to be honest. It was an early one but pro-active, and why wouldn't he want to get his new winger on who is supposedly and exciting dribbler. We just didn't get the ball to him to be able to see what he can do. I'd have maybe actually made the Hanson change a tad earlier, but I don't know how fit he was and how much he had in the tank.

I'm going to make a bold call but I would give Joe Starbuck a few games at right back. Hendrie is carrying an injury and is playing a position with a greater physical demand now with what Holloway wants the full-backs doing. Think he was probably feeling the pace a bit when he sloppily allowed their lad to go through on goal late on (how he missed the target I don't know). I'm sure Holloway will probably be fair to Hewitt and allow him an opportunity to show what he can do in that position, but he's not athletic enough to cover the ground quick enough and often enough with full-backs much higher up the pitch when in possession. So with that in mind I'd have a look at Starbuck for a couple of games while Hendrie rests.

Just a word on Mattie Pollock as well. Our best CB, and I'm really hoping IH recognises this and keeps him in the team when Waterfall and Davis are back available.

Onwards and upwards anyway. Still positive despite defeat. And as well as positive I'm just really interested in seeing how Holloway develops our way of playing. You really get the sense we really are building a playing identity here.

UTM.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
Jarmo.Is.God
January 20, 2020, 12:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Not read the thread, so sorry if repeating others.

Clifton will learn from that mistake. It should of ended up in the main stand, but nevermind.
1 thing I noticed from this, was when Law scored (who is a great player), he went down on the floor, and only 1 player went up to him to get him up and make sure he was ok, and that was young Glennon, which was great to see.

We are creating chances, which is a big difference than before, we just need to finish them.

If Hanson started, we win IMO, some of the crosses was a lot better, and crying out for him.

1st time in ages I've come away from a defeat, but still been optimistic about everything.

Pollock really is like a 27year old pro, and can see Holloway is trying to get him to ping the balls forward into the attackers.

Things are improving for sure!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
diehardmariner
January 20, 2020, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,070
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Tommy

I'm going to make a bold call but I would give Joe Starbuck a few games at right back. Hendrie is carrying an injury and is playing a position with a greater physical demand now with what Holloway wants the full-backs doing. Think he was probably feeling the pace a bit when he sloppily allowed their lad to go through on goal late on (how he missed the target I don't know). I'm sure Holloway will probably be fair to Hewitt and allow him an opportunity to show what he can do in that position, but he's not athletic enough to cover the ground quick enough and often enough with full-backs much higher up the pitch when in possession. So with that in mind I'd have a look at Starbuck for a couple of games while Hendrie rests.

UTM.

I know your ear/eyes are a bit closer to the ground than most on the younger lads, Tommy.  Is Starbuck a right back?  I know he played against Scunny (I think) in the Tinpot Trophy there but wasn't sure if he was just filling in.  I've only seen him play in midfield or on the wing.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
Hagrid
January 20, 2020, 3:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Thought starbuck was a left back myself? could be wrong.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
Tommy
January 20, 2020, 4:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Hope's the left-back.

Starbuck has played all over to be fair. Don't know that much about him if I'm honest, but he can play right-midfield or right back. Can play centre-mid and used to play up front when he was younger I think. He's certainly got the athleticism to play as a forward-thinking full-back though. Time will tell. I'd think he's thought of as being close to ready, with him being involved in first team squads in recent weeks.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
golfer
January 20, 2020, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
A lot of happiness after a home defeat-previously unheard of at B.P.  Just shows what a manager can do and what a load of shite we have had since the departing of Sir Alan. He seems to have worked wonders in such a short time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.